Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Convective / Storm Risk Discussion - 23rd July 2013 onwards

Coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Just took a pleasant walk to the Dymchurch tesco for smoking supplies lol....humidity is fierce!!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot thundery summers, cold snowy winters

Round 4 starting to kick off in derby this cell has popped up over the last 30-40mins

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

View to the south - quite turbulent and very dark.

Posted Image

Edited by cheese

Posted

Cells moving NNE similar to yesterday, got my eye on the one coming out from Stoke-on-Trent as it'll be a 'hit' for this area.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Thunderstorms, Heat (Summer) & Snow in Winter

Right, so initiation has begun around the Blackpool coast and the Derby area heading NNE according to the radar - NE later if they intensify and build should have a good show - strange because last years supercell that hit the Tyne and Wear area started around the Blackpool coastal area and moved NNE - well here's hoping Posted Image

Posted

Oh boy, the humidity out there is unbearable. 29.1c, no sun, just billowing vertical white on light grey clouds. Breeze has picked up, thunderbug on the window. Bought the washing in just in case!

Edited by Team Squirrel

Posted

Ok there is definitely large cumulonimbus forming here now, I can see them.

That echo on the radar currently in the Preston area extending down to me is right outside, I can see the structure clear as.

Edit: And looking at that structure and the newer blots on the zoomed radar extending down to the Derby storm it is possible that this could turn in to a line of storms.

Edited by Tim B

Posted

Well the metoffices invent predictive rainfall thing is absolutely nothing like the BBC forecast. Tom Schafernacker's forecast showed the storms most potent in the west (Amber warning area) then transferring east in what looked like a more organised band of thundery rain.

Invent shows nothing even getting over the pennines. In fairness iv'e always found invent quite accurate but i hope not this time as iv'e just downloaded an app to get long exposure shots on my phones camera! Bring on the lightning!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Thunderstorms, Heat (Summer) & Snow in Winter

Well the metoffices invent predictive rainfall thing is absolutely nothing like the BBC forecast. Tom Schafernacker's forecast showed the storms most potent in the west (Amber warning area) then transferring east in what looked like a more organised band of thundery rain.Invent shows nothing even getting over the pennines. In fairness iv'e always found invent quite accurate but i hope not this time as iv'e just downloaded an app to get long exposure shots on my phones camera! Bring on the lightning!

Yeah I noticed that too - usually gives a good general idea but then again as is with the nature of thunderstorm precip you can't pin point an area within X square miles so would expect them not to be too accurate at this?

Edited by Wishful-Thinking

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and thundery or Cold and snowy.

Sadly any convection here appears to be capped somewhat as soon as something has potential it just stops and vanishes.

50/50 blue sky here. Hot and humid :(

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

Massive drops of rain falling. Wow it came from nowhere.

Whole sky has stabilised here now Kev, nothing convective in the slightest so I would suggest it won't be too long before even the Manchester convection dies away and transfers NE.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine. And storms

The sun has finally made an appearance, temp up to 24C now and a few spots or rain. I could have sworn I heard thunder earlier, if I did it was many many miles away. One of the dogs shot indoors with his tail down though, so it was either thunder, fireworks or someone shooting!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms

Well the metoffices invent predictive rainfall thing is absolutely nothing like the BBC forecast. Tom Schafernacker's forecast showed the storms most potent in the west (Amber warning area) then transferring east in what looked like a more organised band of thundery rain.Invent shows nothing even getting over the pennines. In fairness iv'e always found invent quite accurate but i hope not this time as iv'e just downloaded an app to get long exposure shots on my phones camera! Bring on the lightning!

The invent has always proved useless in convective situations in my opinion, especially in winter with snowfall from the east and then storms in summer its no better. Looking decent for us towards/on the east coast later on, ingredients for storms look to still be there after dark so hopefully some good photo opportunities.

Posted

Can anyone tell me more specifically what time we are expecting this evening and overnights storms to arrive in central southern England.

The MO forecast was for increasing thunderstorms and thundery rain over night. I stayed over at my mums near Fleet in Hants, and have yet 

see any of the home grown storms, so I'm hoping this evening and overnight will make up for that :).  Any help would be appreciated.

xx

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Columus Bigus Convectivus

Yep...Can see towers rising over Derby way

Caught an explosive fork this morning..using an ND8 filter 1/2 sec @ f10

post-12214-0-08088900-1374592393_thumb.j

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

The sun has finally made an appearance, temp up to 24C now and a few spots or rain. I could have sworn I heard thunder earlier, if I did it was many many miles away. One of the dogs shot indoors with his tail down though, so it was either thunder, fireworks or someone shooting!

We had 6 or 7 rumbles sometime this morning...Could have been those?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: the stormier the better...

Is that a cell near Chester?Hard to tell if it is real or a false image?There appear to be cells, the Fylde, Fleetwood area.

Shoots off to check out the radar!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms/Clear and Frosty/Snow Showers

Beautiful deep rolling thunder here.Just starting to rain,and the wind has certainly picked up too!.