Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective / Storm Discussion - 27th July 2013

Coast

Was just browsing vids of the storms on the continent yesterday and today, btw hail in germany from a supercell today:

and just had a bright blue flash and shotgun thunder here! Teaser of a bolt out of the blue, hung out the window for 15 mins waiting for another and nothing. We've actually done pretty well out of the recent thundery spell though so Im happy Posted Image

I'd hate to live right next door to a golf course!!? Glad the washing line airier type thingy was on standby.. Wow again :) Edited by triple_x1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

This is the story of the Stormtuffalo and the Thundermouse. One day the Stormtuffalo was chasing storms on a great area of land called the Continent, for days and days he chased these big storms there, so he named them MCS's Mega Continent Storms, many years ago he would also chase these over the great lake on the land of the UK, he no longer can do this because the MCS's do not go that way like they used to, so he sends over Thundermouse to chase some smaller thunderstorms there, Stormtuffalo calls these the NMS's Never Mega Storms.

post-11361-0-85878300-1374966051_thumb.g

ESS

(can remove post don't mind thought might cheer some up a bit)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Oh dear so embarrassing. What a over hype job. 50 mm of rain. I've just walked home and hardly got wet.

If anybody in Sheffield got any lightning after 19:30 let me know via pm please and yes I'm serious on that.

Up to 8.4mm lucky to make ten.. Got to admit earlier it looked good but went badly wrong.

The storms were never on to be honest. If anybody listened to midday forecast they would have known that. However the rain event what happened to that?

Another oh dear.

Tomorrow will deliver. It's supposed to be fairly pleasant. Unless you're unucky.

Edited by The PIT

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorm

It barely rained in Plymouth all day bar a light shower at 3pm Now blue sky outside- lovely evening!

after watching what everyone else has had Devon and cornwall have had nothing, we used to get great mcs storms years ago but not anymore, Nottingham is the place I reckon!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

Now we get torrential rain! Heaviest I've seen all year for sure.

Edited by cheese

Posted

Yesterday there was a Yellow warning for London, EA and the SE - they said Suffolk, I am in West Suffolk and so pretty hard to miss. It's been sunny all day clouding over at 4 pm and a brief rain shower at 5 pm, now cloudy and barely drizzling.

The Met O are just making fools of themselves and fools of us for paying for their fat pensions. They can't even get the next 24 hours right, let alone the next 50 years. Perhaps, as they've been forced to change tack from 'climate change' to 'weird weather' they have to issue a quota of warnings a year for the statistics — so they're now issuing Yellow warnings for a bit of rain lasting barely 30 minutes. Ridiculous.

Perhaps, if some would give it a go themselves, and try and do better than them on average over a period of time while covering possible threats with forecasts and warnings, they would get a sense of how hard and complex it can be no matter what data models and computers they had, and we wouldn't get these ridiculous posts sometimes.

There has been a lot of heavy rain around this evening, and thunder in the SE similar to what was expected with that aspect really (if anything the storms further N were more unexpected so the UK has had more thunder than we could have had).

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Midnight reset 0.0 mm oops

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms

Oh dear so embarrassing. What a over hype job. 50 mm of rain. I've just walked home and hardly got wet.

If anybody in Sheffield got any lightning after 19:30 let me know via pm please and yes I'm serious on that.

Up to 8.4mm lucky to make ten.. Got to admit earlier it looked good but went badly wrong.

The storms were never on to be honest. If anybody listened to midday forecast they would have known that. However the rain event what happened to that?

Another oh dear.

Tomorrow will deliver. It's supposed to be fairly pleasant. Unless you're unucky.

Well torrential here! I reck by the end of the night, we'll be on for 50mm if not more.

18mm of rain here tonight, given the ground a good replenishment, got 32mm from tuesdays thunderstorm mind!

Looks like no round two re fireworks...as for rain? Still pelting down real shocker and that's no exaggeration either! Months worth plus in one single solitary day, for some.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

Just want to clear something up on the posts about the warning s and I need to show the radar at 2000 hrs (8pm) to do this.

post-11361-0-17656300-1374967733_thumb.j

Plenty of heavy rain and intense cells in that lot and I experienced some of this and also several deep rolls of thunder!

Edited by ElectricSnowStorm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Columus Bigus Convectivus

Looking at how the system is rotating I think the amber warnings are justified, but that's just my opinion, we will see.

I think there are many hours of heavy rain to come over N England yet as it slows and spins before pulling away north east.

I have very little hopes of any lightning up here though. 

absobloodylootly....Look at the rain vectors one the radar........This rains going nowhere soon

Edited by Arnie Pie

Posted

Just want to clear something up on the posts about the warning s and I need to show the radar at 2000 hrs (8pm) to do this.

Posted ImageRadar 2000hrs.JPG

Plenty of heavy rain and intense cells in that lot and I experienced some of this and also several deep rolls of thunder!

The metoffice future rain forecast shows the system 'toppling' over itself from east to west as it moves northwards tonight. Edited by Darren Bown

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Perhaps, if some would give it a go themselves, and try and do better than them on average over a period of time while covering possible threats with forecasts and warnings, they would get a sense of how hard and complex it can be no matter what data models and computers they had, and we wouldn't get these ridiculous posts sometimes.

There has been a lot of heavy rain around this evening, and thunder in the SE similar to what was expected with that aspect really (if anything the storms further N were more unexpected so the UK has had more thunder than we could have had).

If someone gave me £82 million a year, I reckon I'd manage to do a better job than these clowns or at least employ someone who could. Yellow and Amber warnings should only be issued for exceptional weather.

They forecast a cool summer. That was wrong. Their forecasts are so way off target they're a joke.

Edited by Iceni

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

If someone gave me £82 million a year, I reckon I'd manage to do a better job than these clowns or at least employ someone who could. Yellow and Amber warnings should only be issued for exceptional weather.

They forecast a cool summer. That was wrong. Their forecasts are so way off target they're a joke.

They're pros and know their stuff. It's an over reliance on computer simulations IMO.

Posted

,Looks like no round two re fireworks...as for rain? Still pelting down real shocker and that's no exaggeration either! Months worth plus in one single solitary day, for some.

nope, no electrical activity, and i reckon you guys have had a bit more rain being that bit further north and west, where the intensity has held up for some time tonight, whereas it has been more moderate further south

Posted

The whole thing is rotating, which gives a whole new perspective on things. The southern side of the rain is moving west to east, while the northern edge and central parts are toppling over from east to west. Very interesting ATM, and may change rainfall intensity and location overnight.

nope, no electrical activity, and i reckon you guys have had a bit more rain being that bit further north and west, where the intensity has held up for some time tonight, whereas it has been more moderate further south

Been out...not good. Nuff said..slugs are going to go into overdrive! Roads, pretty bad.

It's a cruel..cruel! Bring back the 80s storms plumes whatever..

Edited by triple_x1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme aside from heat. Pref cold and snow

raining again here in herts. Getting the back end of the pivot. Quite heavy

Posted

Can anyone explain why the sky seems to have a green glow ?

If I'm correct, I thought a green glow of the clouds often signalled hail?