Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective / Storm Discussion - 27th July 2013

Coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy

That Belgian mans home is very eerie. Either it is his basement or his home seriously needs gutting and completely renovated! 

Posted

Met Office amber warning for the North West is only valid from 00:05 Sunday morning also, isn't it bad enough now to be valid straight away? (Scratches head). I think the case with the Met Office is that they issue these flash amber warnings long after the horse has bolted so to speak.

Plus they say that N ENgland will get the rain later in the night/morning, and for it be in N Midlands at the moment.....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

Check the local warnings and times

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Met Office amber warning for the North West is only valid from 00:05 Sunday morning also, isn't it bad enough now to be valid straight away? (Scratches head). I think the case with the Met Office is that they issue these flash amber warnings long after the horse has bolted so to speak.

I do wonder if they can see something we can't. Why issue an Amber warning to go from when the event is looking like coming to an end? Maybe a surprise wake up call in the early hours.... I can but dream Posted Image

Posted

Another poor decision by the Met Office to issue an amber warning for that area in my opinion.

Well they must know something to extend the Amber which now covers my area. If you check the invent radar the band massively peps up and has us under red, pink and white rainfall for the whole night. 

Plus they say that N ENgland will get the rain later in the night/morning, and for it be in N Midlands at the moment.....

I've had this frustration for many years with regards to these flash amber warnings. The only one in recent times I can remember them being right on the money on was the snowfall of December 17th 2010 (Friday night), an amber warning was issued at tea time roughly about 5pm & the snow arrived about 7:30pm and dropped over a foot before petering out at roughly 2:30am. Apart from that its been epic fail after epic fail from the Met Office for our area in my book.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy

For days it looked as though the South (in particular the southeast) would be hardest hit but within the last 48 hours, that risk has transferred itself 200-300 miles to the North. That in itself blows my mind!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

As there are amber-alerts for rain I thought I should post the flood alerts, yep already in action..

http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/homeandleisure/floods/34678.aspx?type=Region&term=Northeast&Severity=3

(northeast forecast from the site above)

• [*]

Over the next 12 hours weather systems will be coming in from the south. Within these systems there may be heavy thunderstorms which could lead to localised flooding and surface water issues. These are expected to begin from midnight Saturday 27th July lasting through the night and into Sunday 28th July at midday. If this location is hit by a thunderstorm, we are expecting the Lustrum Beck to rise rapidly following heavy downpours. The river levels will rise and fall rapidly, though at this stage no property flooding is forecast. Low lying land and roads may be expected. At the moment we do not expect to issue any warnings. We are currently monitoring the situation. This message will be updated at 5am tomorrow morning or earlier if the situation changes. River levels can be viewed on our website.

21:14 on 27 Jul 2013

It is important to note that the above forecast is for one of the many rivers in the NE at flood risk, the weather forecast part would be the same for all the NE but please read individual river/stream forecasts to how and what affect the weather might have on these.

Edited by ElectricSnowStorm

I've had this frustration for many years with regards to these flash amber warnings. The only one in recent times I can remember them being right on the money on was the snowfall of December 17th 2010 (Friday night), an amber warning was issued at tea time roughly about 5pm & the snow arrived about 7:30pm and dropped over a foot before petering out at roughly 2:30am. Apart from that its been epic fail after epic fail from the Met Office for our area in my book.

Warnings are doomed to fail..appear then fail or fail to appear and all hell breaks loose? More fails :) Edited by triple_x1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme weather - storms, tornadoes, snow

Within the amber warning now which means any chances I did have are well and truly scuppered!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Yesterday there was a Yellow warning for London, EA and the SE - they said Suffolk, I am in West Suffolk and so pretty hard to miss. It's been sunny all day clouding over at 4 pm and a brief rain shower at 5 pm, now cloudy and barely drizzling.

The Met O are just making fools of themselves and fools of us for paying for their fat pensions. They can't even get the next 24 hours right, let alone the next 50 years. Perhaps, as they've been forced to change tack from 'climate change' to 'weird weather' they have to issue a quota of warnings a year for the statistics — so they're now issuing Yellow warnings for a bit of rain lasting barely 30 minutes. Ridiculous.

Edited by Iceni

Posted

Well the heavy rain seems spot on here, very torrential at times - only had a couple lightning flashes and very week rumbles of thunder.  Not the conveyor belt of strikes we had from that crazy early morning hour last week.

Edited by dodgeredee

Posted

As the forecast for my area tomorrow is sunshine and a possible shower if im lucky, it would be ironic if it we got a massive thunderstorm and 100mm of rain!!

Posted

only had a couple lightning flashes and very week rumbles of thunder.  Not the conveyor belt of strikes we had from that crazy early morning hour we had last week.

Tuesday morning around 6am? yes even Antwerp would have been proud of that one.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme!

Looking at how the system is rotating I think the amber warnings are justified, but that's just my opinion, we will see.

I think there are many hours of heavy rain to come over N England yet as it slows and spins before pulling away north east.

I have very little hopes of any lightning up here though. 

Edited by multi cellular thunderstorm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Rain getting heavier again here. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

Torrential rain here for the last hour but still no thunder or lightening.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, humid & exciting

Was just browsing vids of the storms on the continent yesterday and today, btw hail in germany from a supercell today:

and just had a bright blue flash and shotgun thunder here! Teaser of a bolt out of the blue, hung out the window for 15 mins waiting for another and nothing. We've actually done pretty well out of the recent thundery spell though so Im happy Posted Image

Edited by Joey.G

Posted

As the forecast for my area tomorrow is sunshine and a possible shower if im lucky, it would be ironic if it we got a massive thunderstorm and 100mm of rain!!

Not out of the woods yet then? as the saying goes.. tomorrow the ppn data does indicate some heavy showers getting to the SE so need to keep watch on the heating up tmw and if these turn thundery.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms

Don't know how much rain we've had here so far, but it has been absolutely torrential for a good while now!