Cold?
IGNORED

Convective / Storm Discussion - 27th July 2013

Coast

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

A very small band of heavy rain moving north. It won't give 50 mm of rain that some are expecting unless it stalls.

Places away from the warning zone that I saw earlier may have exceeded expected totals.

Posted

Any chance this system will head westwards towards me?

Some lively looking rain off the coast to my south west also...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, snow, warmth, and thunder.

No thunder heard by myself today or yesterday. Met Office (Enviroment Agency) has issued an Amber Warning and yellow warning, unsurprisingly both missing Warwickshire! The warnings don't seem to accurate however, already about 25mm of rain has fallen here and is still falling and more rain, even a thunderstorm is forecasted for tomorrow, and adding onto that it looks like the rest of the week will include heavy rain or showers for my area and most of the U.K. In all.

post-17472-0-59092900-1374968296_thumb.j

post-17472-0-57269200-1374968447_thumb.j

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

The whole thing is rotating, which gives a whole new perspective on things. The southern side of the rain is moving west to east, while the northern edge and central parts are toppling over from east to west. Very interesting ATM, and may change rainfall intensity and location overnight.

Not really just a narrow band of heavy rain. I'm not going to be getting much more than 10mm tomorrow morning.

By the way once again wide spread thunder wasn't predicted just hight rainfall which hasn't happened as off yet.

Edited by The PIT

Posted

The whole thing is rotating, which gives a whole new perspective on things. The southern side of the rain is moving west to east, while the northern edge and central parts are toppling over from east to west. Very interesting ATM, and may change rainfall intensity and location overnight.

was also thinking that, will definitely stick around with you guys for sometime tonight i would've thought, whereas it should leave the west midlands in the next couple of hours anyway. any ideas on totals up manchester way?

Posted

How different things were in the 90s and early 2000s. I remember having at least 10 or so summer nights with torrential rain, ridiculous winds, hail and yes constant thunder and lightning that lasted for over 6 hours.

Sadly things are no longer the same, with every single setup in the past few years going NE towards the Near continental.

I think people need to realise how volatile our climate is on our tiny little island. I won't go into detail, but the Met Office are considered as one of the best National (and global) Meteorological organisations in the world. They have some of the best computers and human input that anyone could wish for! But as we've seen many times recently, they've been wrong. But why mock them and loose trust? They are right probably 95% of the time and its amazing its that high! Especially in the UK!

Our climate is changing, we've seen this in many aspects. Colder winters and cooler summers (This being the exception).

I believe that's what needs to be looked at now, why this events are no longer a 'normal summertime' event. 

I'm sorry to go on, but we need some sense here.

SM

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Well this 'event' yet again failed to deliver more than a half hour showed, little lightning/thunder. After all those warnings. I knew it. El Yawnio!!

A very small band of heavy rain moving north. It won't give 50 mm of rain that some are expecting unless it stalls.Places away from the warning zone that I saw earlier may have exceeded expected totals.

No gauge afraid to say..radar doesn't do justice either..not surprised to have had near on 40mm by now. Almost tropical like in nature, my guess is if this had been thundery in nature? it probably would have cleared off by now! Still zero wind, with windows ajar, a fast flowing hosepipe sound since late yesterday evening in fact..ongoing. Edited by triple_x1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

Lashing down here, surprised we've had no thunder given the intensity.

Edited by CreweCold

If it's not electrified it's not electrified simple as that regardless of the intensity. Sounds like it's stopped here, can't hear it outside even with my window open.

Posted

It's a cruel..cruel! Bring back the 80s storms plumes whatever..

Questions were being asked about lack of storms even back then....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)

Here its been chucking it down for a good 5 hrs now and it keeps on coming not much of the flashy stuff though, But it was never about that it was always about the intense rain were having,

Sorry some of us are having Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: the stormier the better...

Moderate rainfall here. Nothing of much interest. Disappointing day, we had the humidity and heat but as usual, nothing else. Maybe 2015 will bring something.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

Can someone prove to me that there was not heavier enough rain over the SE(yellow zone) to warrant a yellow warning?

The rain rates in places did meet the warning criteria, the zone in which it covered does not mean everywhere would receive the large amounts or heavy rainfall forecast, these rainfalls can be varied and local, the only time as far as I know to use more local warning's, (example: London) during thundery outbreaks is where homegrown thunderstorms develop locally, how can we know where exactly gets the heaviest downpours locally from such an imported system? 

(Edit - as on a previous post I showed that the SE was covered by heavy rainfall with embedded intense cells and thunder so the warnings where there for that reason) and also further north there is heavy rainfall which could turn more prolonged and heavier maybe thundery) 

Edited by ElectricSnowStorm

Posted

Can someone prove to me that there was not heavier enough rain over the SE(yellow zone) to warrant a yellow warning?

The rain rates in places did meet the warning criteria, the zone in which it covered does not mean everywhere would receive the large amounts or heavy rainfall forecast, these rainfalls can be varied and local, the only time as far as I know to use more local warning's, (example: London) during thundery outbreaks is where homegrown thunderstorms develop locally, how can we know where exactly gets the heaviest downpours locally from such an imported system? 

At this current time, no computer model or human input can predict exactly where the heaviest rain would be. An Imported system is always a headache to forecast, hence the wide warning area. Some will always miss out.

SM 

Posted

Ironically, here in the Wrexham area it has been raining for around 6 hours, torrential for the last 3 hours, with a fair rivulet running down our hill which may well flood houses further down, yet we are not even in any of the warning areas, despite clear radar indication that we would get a fair share of downpours. Maybe it's because of the lack of thunder activity, either expected or received (we never usually do anyway, one thunderstorm in 4 years)?

Still warranted a warning!

Edited by rosgar

Seem to remember when warnings were pretty much nil..or non existent? Now they're colour coded...

It was either black or white back then..no half measures, politically correct phrases try to please everyone all of the time! Or keep schtum..

It's the flamin' weather - been going on for thousands of years plus, goodness sakes, warnings are for wimps :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)

"Wrong thread" (Things we take for granted) WEATHER WARNING Posted Image

It's all poppycock if you ask me...warnings? Warnings are all well and good if you're a big ship floating on a big far reaching ocean...which many are.Sat in a comfy armchair in front of a PC or equivalent..c'mon, reality check alert. Next warnings - curtains moved yellow alert or standby kiddies sandpit may get ever so slightly soggy, ooh shock horror school run alert..best get the 4x4 out we have mizzle...I blame the nanny state hehe! Nite nite weather lovers :)

"Wrong thread" (Things we take for granted) WEATHER WARNING :rofl:

Did nothing for the dinosaurs... Edited by triple_x1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

As on a previous post I showed that the SE was covered by heavy rainfall with embedded intense cells and thunder so the warnings were there for that reason, and also further north there is heavy rainfall which could turn more prolonged and heavier maybe thundery. 

Let's ban warnings job done..save all the hassle lol, weather eh? Day it pleases everyone all of the time, then hell really could freeze over. Sorry mild lovers...no offence eh?

How about later on then guys, dare i say it cheshire looks the place to be...

Nooooooooooohhhhhhhhh!!!!!!??

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny

How about later on then guys, dare i say it cheshire looks the place to be...

just got soaked coming from pub. had enough of this garbage now.

Posted

Not everyone looks at ppn radars, satellite images and the models to keep up with the changes, the warnings are there for national safety and awareness of potentially severe weather and can be viewed as a zoned area indicated by a color code of severity level and what type of conditions generally expected in that zone by a symbol (rain, snow..) these can also be viewed by those that cannot read the text forecast. Warnings zones move around unexpectedly as new model data/radar/satellite data and other upper air data is collected.