Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion 18z 28/07/13

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

Its pointless looking at the GFS in FI and picking charts from individual runs which show/do not show hot conditions because they change so much from run to run. At the moment the best place to look is the ensemble means which at this early stage do indeed point towards a drier and warmer spell to end the month. I'm not getting pulled into this heatwave talk as its still way out in FI. All i'm going to accept now is that the mean outputs are showing a trend for pressure to rise from the south starting in about 9 days time. Noone can deny that is what the models are showing but it would also be foolish to mention a heatwave. But i dont think its unreasonable for some to be talking about the building blocks for a potential hot spell. After all, in late June any heatwave talk was played down and look what happened. It may happen, it may not but we will find out in due course.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.

heatwave ? i referred to a possible hot spell which isnt the same as a heatwave and there is growing support for something like that evolving. ok it is along way off, and might not happen, but this is me..mr negetive talking, and in this case there are tentative reasons for cautious optimism.

• Like 5

Posted

heatwave? i see no sign yet of a real 'heatwave'.  becoming more settled over time though with the following caveat - shallow troughs moving west to east cannot be discounted (as looks to be the case next weekend). the anomoly, building initially from the se then seems to become established to the east/northeast thru week 2. that then allows for temps to build but currently the spreads out to two weeks not showing this. week 2 maxes 26/27 in the south and dropping slowly as you head north. if we do get a decent block to our east then clearly that allows for a whole gammut of scenarios including thundery incursions form the sw. certainly a decent outlook considering there was plenty of doom and gloom painted once the july spell had ended.

There was also more than enough hype about an immediate return to heatwave conditions at the time ba, the cooler spell was touted by many as nothing more than a blip, despite little or no support whatsoever for that assertion from the models. Any possible heat (and that's all it is right now) remains deep, deep in FI and even that looks very tenuous too me, with the 06 GFS effectively having none of it. 

• Like 3

Posted

shed - i'll take the x model extended ens over the 06z gfs fi op every time. infact, the gfs op post T192 doesnt even get a look in when i browse the output. (i rely on the gefs diagram to see the trend of the outlier op which it invariably is). not saying it doesnt ever have the right solution but the swings back and forth make it pretty difficult to use as a forecasting tool.

oh and rob, you quoted a post with only the relevant word 'heatwave' and then posted three charts with the quote, 'here, here and here' against them followed by some prose with 'hot spell'.  forgive me for thinking you felt we might be on the cusp of a 'heatwave'! 

Edited by bluearmy
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

We find ourselves in pretty much the same position as we did at the very end of June, a strong signal from both GFS and ECM for high pressure to build in 9-10 days time. The GEM model also doing something very similar and being a little later to the party but again this morning shows the Azores high building in. 

How warm and how extensive any heat is a still up for debate and the true specific evolution is still to be worked out by the models, but the broad trend is there for all to see.

On the output this morning, I think the ECM might be pretty close to the correct evolution for days 9 and 10, but that's just my opinion.

UKMO T144 chart? It really can't help itself at the moment Posted Image

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

There was also more than enough hype about an immediate return to heatwave conditions at the time ba, the cooler spell was touted by many as nothing more than a blip, despite little or no support whatsoever for that assertion from the models. Any possible heat (and that's all it is right now) remains deep, deep in FI and even that looks very tenuous too me, with the 06 GFS effectively having none of it. 

Aye, but only in the newspapers...

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The most likely outcome. The MJO is only half the story!

Looking at individual GFS outputs in isolation and taking them at face value is not the most reliable guide at any time of year. I am sure that most will agree on thatPosted Image I don't think anyone is suggesting record threatening heat is on the way, but there are signals there, beyond the enchanting quirks and nuances of individual GFS outputs, for summer to head towards a close on a distinctly above average note temperature-wise and it will be interesting to see how the pattern evolves over the days to come.

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

The Gfs 06z shows good weather from midweek for most of the southern half of the uk and more especially for the southeast, temperatures on the rise, into the mid 20's celsius, mid to high 70's F and possibly nudging into the low 80's F for london & se generally, the further north and west you are from the southeast, temperatures are a few degrees lower but still feeling pleasantly warm, around the mid august average with 21-22c being a general figure, but lower than that for northwestern britain where the most unsettled weather will be, occasionally the unsettled weather across the northwest extends further southeast but weakens as it moves into the higher pressure. There is also a real chance of the uk tapping into some serious continental heat during the next few weeks if we get lucky, the heat is not far from the uk, occasionally flirting with the southeast on this run so it wouldn't take much of a change synoptically for a hot spell later in the month.

post-4783-0-19759300-1376221124_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-79085000-1376221150_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-95013000-1376221164_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-39887800-1376221172_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-70950800-1376221181_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-09029400-1376221198_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-68251700-1376221206_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-30048600-1376221216_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-80696900-1376221258_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-48239900-1376221263_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-45061700-1376221270_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-37041600-1376221281_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-03635000-1376221302_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-60845400-1376221308_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-43839800-1376221324_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-18227700-1376221336_thumb.pn

• Like 3

Posted

If temps get up to mid 20s, say 25/26c i'll consider that a heatwave for 2nd half of August.

ditto, it's good enough for me.

• Like 1

Posted

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted

The GEFS 06z mean is continuing the trend towards a warmer and more anticyclonic outlook which is also what the Ecm 00z ensemble mean is showing (see the Ecm 00z mean charts on my earlier post) it's a progressively more summery pattern towards the back end of the month which could persist through early september, the PFJ is forced further and further northwest, retreating right back to greenland and the arctic as high pressure builds northeastwards across the uk, we get a little taste of it for the second half of next week, at least the southeastern half of england will, this is followed by a brief dip in pressure and temperatures before the tide really turns and then a set fair and much warmer last 10 days of august should be nationwide.

post-4783-0-01378200-1376224251_thumb.gi

post-4783-0-71507900-1376224282_thumb.gi

post-4783-0-50979400-1376224288_thumb.gi

post-4783-0-78122700-1376224297_thumb.gi

post-4783-0-34502900-1376224306_thumb.gi

post-4783-0-24158000-1376224316_thumb.gi

post-4783-0-85967200-1376224325_thumb.gi

post-4783-0-01669100-1376224345_thumb.gi

post-4783-0-76330400-1376224353_thumb.gi

post-4783-0-41917100-1376224371_thumb.gi

post-4783-0-81908900-1376224390_thumb.gi

Edited by Frosty039
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

I do hope so, Karl...I'd imagine that, what with charts like those, the Daily Express's hacks will be upping the ante?? 50 centigrade killer heatwave to strike UK next week! You read it here first!Posted Image 

• Like 6

Posted

I do hope so, Karl...I'd imagine that, what with charts like those, the Daily Express's hacks will be upping the ante?? 50 centigrade killer heatwave to strike UK next week! You read it here first!Posted Image 

or the Daily Mail..or bothPosted Image

• Like 3

Posted
  • Location: Formerly Walworth, SE17 ; Swansea SA1 since Dec 2008
  • Location: Formerly Walworth, SE17 ; Swansea SA1 since Dec 2008

Frodty, I personally could do with those rainfall charts for Thursday and Saturday that you posted, NOT verifying -- semi-washout in SW risked there unless matters improve ...

Will catch up properly tomorrow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: hot and sunny

Frodty, I personally could do with those rainfall charts for Thursday and Saturday that you posted, NOT verifying -- semi-washout in SW risked there unless matters improve ...

Will catch up properly tomorrow.

yes William looks like we are in the firing line for some of the wet stuff,check out the weather for the week ahead on the BBC site...tues weds and fri looks damp i wouldnt say washout though

Thanks again to Tamara for a top post and FrostyPosted Image great input guys....ive still got me L plates onPosted Image

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow and cold
Posted · Hidden by Bottesford, August 11, 2013 - Really not the place
Hidden by Bottesford, August 11, 2013 - Really not the place

yes William looks like we are in the firing line for some of the wet stuff,check out the weather for the week ahead on the BBC site...tues weds and fri looks damp i wouldnt say washout though

Thanks again to Tamara for a top post and FrostyPosted Image great input guys....ive still got me L plates onPosted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow and cold
Posted · Hidden by Bottesford, August 11, 2013 - Really not the place
Hidden by Bottesford, August 11, 2013 - Really not the place

I totally agree Tamara does do great posts that you can actually understand herself and Frosty are not biased towards heat or cold and they just post what the charts are showing .

Also have to sneak in captain shortwave does make me giggle great posts and he takes no crap from anyone !!!

Cheers guys

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.

shed - i'll take the x model extended ens over the 06z gfs fi op every time. infact, the gfs op post T192 doesnt even get a look in when i browse the output. (i rely on the gefs diagram to see the trend of the outlier op which it invariably is). not saying it doesnt ever have the right solution but the swings back and forth make it pretty difficult to use as a forecasting tool. oh and rob, you quoted a post with only the relevant word 'heatwave' and then posted three charts with the quote, 'here, here and here' against them followed by some prose with 'hot spell'.  forgive me for thinking you felt we might be on the cusp of a 'heatwave'!

true, but i was quoting someone else, me, i think we might get a hotspell, how long it lasts and how hot, if at all, will make the difference between hot spell and heatwave. i too will be happy with a few days of 25c, anything hotter will be a bonus.i do think theres going to be a pressure rise and plume as depicted but it might not hit us, it just might get shunted to our east.
  • Like 2

Posted

Heres the UKMO 12z at T+144. Still a menacing looking low pressure but it would be far from unsettled everywhere. A north south split i reckon with the SE warm and settled if a bit breezy. A different story in the north west with strong winds and rain.

Posted Image

The GFS has low pressure clearing northwards next weekend to be followed by westerlies bringing more average temperatures and quite a bit of dry weather. Very pleasant stuff with still no sign of a resumption of very unsettled pattern of the last 6 summers.

Posted Image

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

For balance, the UKMO delays the low by at least 12 hours and it is taking a more northerly course, if we continues it would probably clatter the Shetland Isles instead of going through Scotland

Posted Image

Have to admit it looks unusually vicious for the time of year so will probably be toned down a bit in future runs.

GFS also has a deeper low. Must say low resolution is fantastic, not overly hot but would I feel bring conditions the vast majority would enjoy.

• Like 1