Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West & Central Southern Regional Discussion 2nd August 2013 >

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

a very pleasant day all in, warm with a light breeze....Some noticeable convection during the early afternoon with some quite large TCu, fading away as frontal cirrus encroached from the west....after perhaps a little overnight rain, tomorrow looks a very nice day

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

A very pleasant day here, even got to 25.2C in the intermittent sunny breaks - no wind at all but annoyingly spread out cloud from early afternoon onwards after a clear sunny morning that allowed the temperature to continuously rise.

Perhaps a breezier day tomorrow will help move the cloud away and get some proper sun.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fair to Foul...

Dry. Sunshine and cloud. Light breeze most of the day.. Pleasant enough. 19.2c. Humidity 64%.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

A decent day today, cooler than yesterday but still pleasant in the sun, with variable cloud and a light to moderate breeze at times

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

Tomorrow's forecast map;

post-12721-0-41294200-1376073293_thumb.j

Again, another similiar day to today for many with the exception of Cornwall.

The area in red will see thickening cloud into tomorrow afternoon after a bright morning, with some patchy rain and showers reaching Cornwall by early evening and spreading into southernmost Devon towards the end of daylight and the end of this forecast period. Temperatures therefore will struggle to reach average values across Cornwall tomorrow.

Elsewhere across the majority of the region it's another day of sunny spells, intermittent cloudcover and the odd isolated shower developing almost anywhere.

Temperatures into the low twenties across Central Southern England into the West Country, high teens as you progress through Somerset and into Devon.

• Like 1

Posted

I'm enjoying this nice quiet spell of weather........not too hot, not too wet, not too windy. Just calm and nice.

Off to a flower and vegetable show this afternoon, always like to see the misshapen vegetables! Posted Image

Edited by noggin

Posted

21.2c.. Not too hot ..Just right...Cloudy but letting the sunshine. .Only a light breeze .Hope the balloons drift this way tonight instead of seeing them on the horizon...

Posted

Tomorrow's forecast map;

post-12721-0-51848300-1376158969_thumb.j

The area in red will see some early morning rain and showers moving east. This includes southeast Dorset, the IOW, South Hampshire into Sussex. This rain/showers should clear by late morning however with just a isolated shower remaining. The afternoon and evening period should see sunny spells and temperatures approaching the mid twenties in the above mentioned areas.

Elsewhere, we are looking at good sunny spells with intermittent cloudcover from the word go. Temperatures hitting the low twenties across much of Bristol, BANES, Somerset, Wiltshire, Gloucestershire, Oxfordshire, Dorset and Berkshire. Devon & Cornwall perhaps only reaching the high teens.

• Like 1

Posted

A better day today with more sunshine but still too much cloud around during peak hours to allow for sunbathing. An average 22.8C though with a cool breeze.

Posted

Yesterday we had the problem with cloud we had mostly avoided before then, in fact much of the afternoon and evening was pretty cloudy. Max was 21.4c so average temps.

Today though so far so good, mostly sunny and 18.7c at the moment.

Posted

I spoke too soon. Completely cloudy after a clear morning so far. Great.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms followed by snow (preferably on the same day!)

I hope we get less cloud tonight as I would like a chance to see a shooting star or two! 

• Like 2

Posted

19.4c.Only little cloud. .Looks  promising for clear skies tonight...Be out there   for ISS at 22:12 west until 22:18 east...Then hopeful for  Perseids  to show..

• Like 1

Posted

Tomorrow's forecast map;

post-12721-0-40792600-1376248380_thumb.j

The area in blue may see some lingering drizzle or showery rainfall early in the morning but this should quickly clear into blue skies and sunshine. This area includes parts of Cornwall.

The area in red may see a few well scattered showers moving down from North Wales during the afternoon and early evening. Not all places will see them with many staying dry. This includes Gloucestershire, North Wiltshire and parts of Oxfordshire.

Elsewhere, sunshine and intermittent cloudcover again. Temperatures for many into the high teens with perhaps Central Southern England seeing the low twenties.

• Like 1

Posted

I hope we get less cloud tonight as I would like a chance to see a shooting star or two! 

Yes. I like spotting shooting stars too! By the time I've thought of a wish, though, they've already gone!

Is it the Perseids meteor shower (or something) during August and September?

I like anything like that in the night sky, although i'm not very knowlegeable on the matter. Richard Angwin always used to let us know if anything was happening and how to spot it. I can't recall whether or not our fergieweather does the same? Posted Image

PS Many thanks to ARTDEMOLE for answering my question re the Perseids........before I'd even asked it, too! Posted Image

Edited by noggin

Posted

Blimey it's chilly out there this morning. Hate to think what it might feel like early tomorrow morning!

Posted

Yes, if I recall correctly, the forecast last night said temperatures would drop to about 5 degrees in more rural areas!  Posted Image

Not that I'm complaining.....Posted Image. I prefer the cold!

Posted

Latest from Ian;

"Unsettled weather later this week & thro weekend, but increasing confidence for a rtn (with uncertain timing) to settled weather later Aug.."

Posted

All this cloud about...Supposed to be clear...Hope it clears tonight .need to see ISS and shooting stars...18.4c.now.... 

Posted
  • Location: Formerly Walworth, SE17 ; Swansea SA1 since Dec 2008
  • Location: Formerly Walworth, SE17 ; Swansea SA1 since Dec 2008

Latest from Ian;"Unsettled weather later this week & thro weekend, but increasing confidence for a rtn (with uncertain timing) to settled weather later Aug.."

Hi AWD, and to all Southern and especially SW based discussers.

AWD suggested earlier over on the Model Output Moans and Ramps thread that I should come here to seek guidance on what the SW is looking like for this coming weekend.

From most recent model output, conditions are looking rather unsettled from Thursday (15th) through to Monday (19th).

On Thursday we'll be heading down from Swansea to Escot Park, (between Fairmile and Feniton, 8 or so miles East of Exeter) and we'll be there all weekend for the Beautiful Days festival. This has been going since 2003 and has never had a completely dry fest since 2006.

Heading that nondry way again, looks like, but can anyone offer suggestions about how much of a washout it'll be? Cheers folks ...

Lightish showers or heavy/prolonged downpours? I fear mudbath territory if the latter .... not happy, given how lovely next week looks like becoming generally. All too late ...

Edited by William of Walworth

Posted

Tomorrow's forecast map;

post-12721-0-14093300-1376337955_thumb.j

A little wetter for parts of the region than of recent days.

The area in red will see increasing cloudcover through tomorrow morning with patchy rain arriving from Wales. Most of this rain will be light and patchy in nature but one or two more heavier falls are possible, especially over Wiltshire. The red area includes Somerset, north Dorset, Bristol, BANES, Gloucestershire, Wiltshire, Oxfordshire, inland Hampshire and Berkshire. I don't expect much more than a few mm's to fall for most of us.

For the South Coast, Devon and Cornwall it is looking drier with some sunny spells and intermittent cloudcover.

Temperatures will struggle to get beyond the high teens for many of us although favoured areas such as the South Coast may get into the low twenties.

• Like 1

Posted

Thanks for that. Will continue to keep as non paranoid an eye as possible.

There is little evidence of "worrying" amounts of rainfall this weekend from any model for Devon. Showers yes, but nothing else of note really.With a bit of luck, you'll dodge the worst of the showers and aside from a bit of a fresh breeze, it won't be all too bad for you.