Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West & Central Southern Regional Discussion 2nd August 2013 >

Snowangel-MK

Guest William Grimsley

Newton Poppleford Weather, has recorded 2.0 mm of rainfall so far today. That was from the first part of the rain band. Now, eyes to Cornwall again. :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Supposedly heavy rain over me at the moment according to the radar - reality is it's not raining at all! Better not wait especially until 2pm when I will be outdoors for five hours.

Posted

Supposedly heavy rain over me at the moment according to the radar - reality is it's not raining at all! Better not wait especially until 2pm when I will be outdoors for five hours.

Yes I was just looking at the radar thinking the same, but then looking closer it hasn't really arrived here in Bristol (its dry in Mangotsfield) but looks really heavy in your direction mind you.

Guest William Grimsley

Yes, lots of radar errors/echoes around, to the E of the main rain band (about to pass over you now) there are many errors/echoes but to the W of the main rain band there aren't many errors/echoes.

Yes I was just looking at the radar thinking the same, but then looking closer it hasn't really arrived here in Bristol (its dry in Mangotsfield) but looks really heavy in your direction mind you.

Yeah looks like some heavy rain about to hit N Somerset.

Edited by William Grimsley

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fair to Foul...

Light shower.17.7c.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

As expected, it looks like Cornwall, Devon, Dorset and Hampshire are receiving or have received most of the rainfall so far.

Looking at the radar, it looks quite miserable down there.

Further north into Somerset, Wiltshire and the M4 Corridor northwards the rain is looking lighter and more patchy in nature with drier intervals around too.

Guest William Grimsley

As expected, it looks like Cornwall, Devon, Dorset and Hampshire are receiving or have received most of the rainfall so far.Looking at the radar, it looks quite miserable down there.Further north into Somerset, Wiltshire and the M4 Corridor northwards the rain is looking lighter and more patchy in nature with drier intervals around too.

Which is exactly what was forecast! :D

Posted

Damp dreary drizzle...16.4c  Humidity 93%.

Posted
  • Location: SW of Sherborne. About a mile from the Somerset border.

3.9mm in this part of Dorset so far.  Heaviest seemed to go to the south of us.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy autumn, hot and sunny summer and thunderstorms all year round.

Had only over 1mm of rain recorded here but the wind is blowing more consistently now.

Guest William Grimsley

At Newton Poppleford Weather, the highest gust today is 26 mph which was recorded at 16:53. Not quite the predicted 30 - 35 mph gusts by many weather sites but it was still a very windy day. :D

Posted

Tomorrows forecast map;

post-12721-0-75821500-1376763608_thumb.j

An improving picture tomorrow for many of us.

The area in red will see some persistent cloudcover and periods of light rain/showers along with drier intervals. This includes Cornwall, Devon, Dorset and South Hampshire.

Elsewhere skies should clear and the day should turn into one of decent sunny spells with just an isolated shower here and there.

Temperatures will peak in the low twenties for much of Central Southern England and the West Country with high teens the maxima in the far South West.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy autumn, hot and sunny summer and thunderstorms all year round.

I am a little bit annoyed now really because I was thinking of maybe going up Castle Hill today to be in some of the wind but because the forecast was for heavy rain I didn't bother.

Wish I had gone now because the worst of any rain occoured around 3:00PM and since then it has only been light to drizzle so I wouldn't have gotten wet. I go up Castle Hill whenever its windy because its high up and has a particular shape which increases the wind by at least rouphly 25km/h (15mph) compared to lower areas.

Guest William Grimsley

Tomorrows forecast map;

Posted Imageimage.jpg

An improving picture tomorrow for many of us.

The area in red will see some persistent cloudcover and periods of light rain/showers along with drier intervals. This includes Cornwall, Devon, Dorset and South Hampshire.

Elsewhere skies should clear and the day should turn into one of decent sunny spells with just an isolated shower here and there.

Temperatures will peak in the low twenties for much of Central Southern England and the West Country with high teens the maxima in the far South West.

I think it's more likely to be heavy showers rather than light rain with maybe some sferics.

I am a little bit annoyed now really because I was thinking of maybe going up Castle Hill today to be in some of the wind but because the forecast was for heavy rain I didn't bother.

Wish I had gone now because the worst of any rain occoured around 3:00PM and since then it has only been light to drizzle so I wouldn't have gotten wet. I go up Castle Hill whenever its windy because its high up and has a particular shape which increases the wind by at least rouphly 25km/h (15mph) compared to lower areas.

Ah, shame. It's nice and exposed at Newton Poppleford Weather from the SW so I only needed to pop outside to experience some strong wind gusts. Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

after a bit of a dank and dreary start to the day, this afternoon is panning out nicely with some warm sunshine, and photogenic convective cloud with plenty of TCu bubbling away....22C currently

• Like 1

Posted

Just had 9mm in 20 minutes here from a very potent shower.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

yes, quite a few lively showers moving through Dorset and into Hants on a west to east vector as shown in the latest NW Extra v4 radar

post-4149-0-33855800-1376835403.txt

image © Netweather.tv

Posted

Sunny Intervals. 21.3c.Cloud thinning..

Guest William Grimsley

yes, quite a few lively showers moving through Dorset and into Hants on a west to east vector as shown in the latest NW Extra v4 radar

Posted Imagehiradarzoomv42.pl.png

image © Netweather.tv

yes, nothing for Devon though I'm hoping we might get something this evening but unlikely now it was predicted though...

Only 1 shower has crossed Newton Poppleford Weather, today. At Newton Poppleford Weather only 0.2 mm of rainfall has fallen, today. Disappointed. Posted Image

Posted

No point in doing a forecast map for tomorrow as we are all in for a dry and sunny day. Simple as that.

There is an isolated chance of an isolated shower over Cornwall but the risk is hardly worth mentioning.

It's a sunny and dry day tomorrow with temperatures peaking in the low twenties for much of the region.

Guest William Grimsley

No point in doing a forecast map for tomorrow as we are all in for a dry and sunny day. Simple as that.There is an isolated chance of an isolated shower over Cornwall but the risk is hardly worth mentioning.It's a sunny and dry day tomorrow with temperatures peaking in the low twenties for much of the region.

Lovely weather. That's what we all need. :D

Posted

If the models are correct, then we will have plenty of thunder potential by bank holiday weekend to look forward to.

Any potential we had today for anything convective would be nothing in comparison.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Looks like I'm faced with another weekend of possibly rained off outdoor activities - really fed up with this summer now!