Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West & Central Southern Regional Discussion 2nd August 2013 >

Snowangel-MK

Posted

Cornwall set for best UK weather and huge crowds over Bank Holiday weekend

The Bank Holiday weekend is set to be a great success for Cornwall with the county possibly enjoying the best weather in the country.

A fine August Bank Holiday will round off the finest summer since 2006. Cornwall is set for the best UK weather and huge crowds this Bank Holiday weekend. Hundreds of thousands of people are expected to arrive in the county for the holiday weekend with police warning of possible congestion. A Met Office spokesman said: “There is the potential that we could have the best of the weather for the weekend in the UK. “It's not going to be a heatwave, but it will be nice British weather.â€

The South West saw the highest temperatures in the UK yesterday, with Chivenor in Devon reaching 26.5 degrees C. Today is expected to start dry and bright with some hazy sunshine, but cloud soon increasing from the west. Tomorrow’s forecast is also good as most places will be dry with it generally becoming brighter through the day with some sunshine. The forecast for Sunday and Monday is that many places will be dry with some brightness, but rather cloudy at times. The weather in Cornwall is likely to be in stark contrast to the rest of the UK where a weather warning has been issued for heavy rain.

The fair weather is expected to attract huge crowds to enjoy Cornwall’s beaches and countryside. Sgt Olly Taylor from Devon and Cornwall Police said: “It's the last bank holiday of the summer, the last chance to get away before the schools go back. I think it is going to be a significant weekend. "With the weather the way it is, it's likely we'll have the busiest roads in the country this weekend." Sgt Taylor said there were some infamous bottlenecks in the region which were likely to be very busy with parts of the A30 in Cornwall, particularly the notorious pinch-point at Temple, seeing heavy traffic

OK, liking that, but I wouldn't want to be in Newquay this particular busy weekend! Enjoy the weather down there folks

Posted Image Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

02/08/2013? Posted Image I wish! That was a cracking thunderstorm! Posted Image

Wasn't it just. Never overhead here but plenty of thunder and lightning moving up the Bristol Channel just to the west of me. May not be as lucky today though despite conditions.

Guest William Grimsley

Wasn't it just. Never overhead here but plenty of thunder and lightning moving up the Bristol Channel just to the west of me. May not be as lucky today though despite conditions.

Yeah it was. Oh right. At Newton Poppleford Weather, the highest rainfall rate this year was recorded. 117.6 mm/hr 02/08/2013 21:14. Lots of clouds that signify thunder though.

Edited by William Grimsley

Guest William Grimsley

Really hot SSE breeze with hazy sunshine, above 25c and washing drying rapidly.

Same here at Newton Poppleford Weather, it's really muggy and the ESE breeze is warm, too.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy autumn, hot and sunny summer and thunderstorms all year round.

The sky actually has that thundery plume type of look you get before elevated storms move in from france.

It is currently 25C even with cloudcover and humid, defenitely feels like the weather conditions you get before a storm.

• Like 1

Guest William Grimsley

The sky actually has that thundery plume type of look you get before elevated storms move in from france.

It is currently 25C even with cloudcover and humid, defenitely feels like the weather conditions you get before a storm.

I have to agree the sky to Newton Poppleford Weather's N is very black with lots of altocumulus castellanus! :D

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and snow but not together

OK y'all now come on - Are we in for a lot of rain tomorrow morning? I am thinking Reading area as I will stuck in a field in the morning and I dont particularly fancy being drenched....no Not Reading Festival before you all ask.. on that subject looking out of the office window just now I think they are all due for a wee shower in about 5 mins...I can see the rain stream approach..;)

Posted

Hmmm...just read this post on model discussion thread..... :(... interesting times for tonight and tomoz it seems

Good post though by Frosty

http://forum.netweather.tv/topic/77405-model-output-discussion-18z-280713/?p=2773757

• Like 1

Guest William Grimsley

Some moderate/heavy rain going slightly W of Newton Poppleford but is all the time moving this way. We could be lucky. :D

Posted
  • Location: SW of Sherborne. About a mile from the Somerset border.
  • Location: SW of Sherborne. About a mile from the Somerset border.

According to the NW radar, it should be raining here....but it's not.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fair to Foul...

Leaden. Clammy. Sultry. Tireing.24.4c.Calm.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy autumn, hot and sunny summer and thunderstorms all year round.

Still warm at 23C but completely overcast now.

Unfortunately I think at the most we may get some sporadic areas of thunder into tonight and tomorrow with some of this rain but the slow speed at which the front has moved in means the area of greatest instability will be more east and northeast of us. 

The timing, speed and movement is crucial in determining where the greatest risk of lightning will be in these sort of mid to high level unstable set ups.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Some moderate/heavy rain going slightly W of Newton Poppleford but is all the time moving this way. We could be lucky. Posted Image

Where do you live William? Posted Image Seriously, as mentioned elsewhere within these forums, I'm sure it is a lovely place (in fact I must Google it sometime) but not every post requires confirmation of your location in each sentence or observation. Having said that, I do appreciate all your reports and for the record, did I ever tell you I live in NEWBURY, yes, Newbury, West Berkshire.

My observations from Newbury are as follows, overcast, 22.3c AT after a Max of 24.3c, 17c DP and a Falling Slowly Barometer reading of 1011.2mb

That's enough from me about Newbury, Newton Poppleford or anywhere else. Where else is there any weather of any worthwhile comment within this region. Posted Image

Edited by gottolovethisweather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Nothing worth mentioning about here in Newt.. er .. Wareham.  It's been the same throughout the Summer, missed all the fun & games.  

Currently 20C and muggy. Off beach fishing for the evening, shortly. :D

Edited by Mapantz

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

For those wondering what the latest radar imagery might look like, I attach a screen grab and a rough approximation of where the best activity is currently. Added to this, the general progression anticipated by the showery outbreaks. Bear in mind, things are supposed to develop yet further and most of the Thundery action is suggested to be outside of our region. Time will tell as ever.

post-7183-0-96711800-1377277710_thumb.jp

Guest William Grimsley

Some heavy rain has just crossed Newton Poppleford Weather. Newton Poppleford Weather, has recorded 1.4 mm of rainfall so far today and the high rainfall rate so far today is 4.8 mm/hr 18:41. Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Some heavy rain has just crossed Newton Poppleford Weather. Newton Poppleford Weather, has recorded 1.4 mm of rainfall so far today and the high rainfall rate so far today is 4.8 mm/hr 18:41. Posted Image

Lol!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

Tomorrow's forecast map;

post-12721-0-71031600-1377282570_thumb.j

A split in this threads region. The South West having a lovely, sunny day whilst Central Southern England will see more in the way of showers.

The area in red, which includes Hampshire, East Wiltshire, BANES, Gloucestershire, Berkshire and Oxfordshire will have rather more cloud around along with some afternoon and evening showers. Some of these showers could be rather heavy, perhaps torrential, with the odd rumble of thunder mixed in too. As ever, they will be hit and miss.

Devon, Cornwall, Dorset and much of Somerset will see only very isolated showers and for the most part, will instead enjoy good spells of sunshine with some fairweather cloud around. Perfect for my trip to Dawlish airshow tomorrow, and a visit to Gay's Creamery.

Temperatures should be lower than today's values, with the low twenties most commonly reached. High teens perhaps the maximum across the far South West.

• Like 1

Posted

Lol!

Don't tempt him yet further. Posted Image

Posted

You do know everyone can see your posts?

Yes, indeed. As a moderator, I am supposed to be moderating my own behaviour but it sometimes gets the better of me. Posted Image Posted Image  What is it doing in your patch William, anything remotely heavy yet. Posted Image

Guest William Grimsley

Yes, indeed. As a moderator, I am supposed to be moderating my own behaviour but it sometimes gets the better of me. Posted Image Posted Image  What is it doing in your patch William, anything remotely heavy yet. Posted Image

Yes, I can see it has got the better of you very clearly.Posted Image

No heavy rain, this evening. Just moderate rain, this evening.

At Newton Poppleford Weather, moderate rain has been falling on and off for the past 90 minutes. Newton Poppleford Weather, has recorded 3.8 mm of rainfall so far today and the highest rainfall rate recorded so far today is 4.8 mm/hr 18:41. Posted Image

Posted

Yes, indeed. As a moderator, I am supposed to be moderating my own behaviour but it sometimes gets the better of me. Posted Image Posted Image What is it doing in your patch William, anything remotely heavy yet. Posted Image

Never mind William GTLTW when is anything remotely heavy coming our way.. Please don't say tomorrow morning.. I am in the middle of a large firld tomorrow morn so hoping all the rain does its stuff tonight... Although I think ill be disappointed... :(