Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West & Central Southern Regional Discussion 2nd August 2013 >

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

I'm confused. Which day is supposed to be wetter, Friday or Saturday? NW has me down for 13mm tomorrow and 4mm on Saturday, yr.no has no rain at all for Saturday with cloud clearing to sunshine. 

Posted
  • Location: SW of Sherborne. About a mile from the Somerset border.
  • Location: SW of Sherborne. About a mile from the Somerset border.

Uncannily accurate, AWD!  Apart from some very, very light drizzle mid morning, we've had zilch here this afternoon.  Can see the black clouds on the W/NW horizon that are producing the rain that side of us.  Temp up to 23C at the moment and plenty of sun.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

A quick forecast for tonight, but as most of us will be asleep I'll keep this one brief and basic;

post-12721-0-53119900-1376589194_thumb.j

A band of rain, some heavy will sweep over the region tonight and first thing tomorrow morning bringing us all a spell of wet weather tonight. The area in red will see the heaviest falls, principally over high ground too. This includes parts of Cornwall, Devon and West Somerset. Up to 15mm could have fallen by tomorrow in some spots within the red area, although 10mm will be more likely for many.

Elsewhere, some rain still but lighter and not so much accumulating, with typically 5mm an average figure for the rest of the region.

Into tomorrow's forecast map then;

post-12721-0-84690800-1376589395_thumb.j

Any early risers in Central Southern parts of the region may find it a damp start to tomorrow morning with the last of the overnight rain probably not clearing parts of Hampshire and Berkshire until 10am - 11am. Further west it should be a dry but rather cloudy start to the day.

The overnight rain should quickly clear east followed soon after by its associated cloudcover and some pleasent sunny spells should light up the region, especially into tomorrow afternoon. It could be a rather nice day all round for Cornwall & Devon say.

The area in red, which includes north east Dorset, parts of Hampshire, east Wiltshire and into Berkshire could see some well scattered afternoon showers develop but these should be very hit and miss.

Elsewhere, after the early morning rain has cleared the region it should be a dry and sunny day with just patches of cloudcover here and there. Temperatures could reach the mid twenties around the Bristol, Bath, North Somerset and Wiltshire area down towards the Solent. Low twenties for many elsewhere still though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Indeed not a lot to add to AWDs analysis above but as Tamara stated in the MOD thread,  a fair part of tomorrow and Saturday at this stage, does look a bit manky for us down South. However, the real promise begins after the weekend.

The general trend for next week and potentially beyond is still there, in spite of conflicting interpretations of the latest afternoon and evening's batch of runs. Longer-term, yes, the further West you are, eventually fronts may want to encroach on your patch, but overall one shouldn't complain, if its warmth and sunshine you're after. The farmers will be happy after the weekend, I bet.

Edited by gottolovethisweather
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy autumn, hot and sunny summer and thunderstorms all year round.

Blimey!

Just came back from Shaftesbury where there was about atleast 20 minutes of torrential rain outside Tescos supermarket.

The entrance way was flooded. Wasn't expecting that today.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fair to Foul...

Breaks in the cloud have allowed the sun to shine.23.6c...

Edited by ARTDEMOLE

Posted

Sunny. Clear. 21.5c.Telescope out tonight.

Posted

Took a while but a lovely evening here - picture perfect blue skies and a high of 24.3C. Shame the clear skies are being wasted at night to be replaced by cloud and rain shortly after dawn.

Posted

Tomorrow's forecast map;

post-12721-0-51938600-1376677934_thumb.j

Not much to say about tomorrow apart from it looks like being a miserable day for all of us. Each and every one of us will see some form of rain at some point tomorrow.

The area in red which includes much of Cornwall, parts of Devon, much of Dorset, South Somerset, South Wiltshire, South Hampshire and parts of Berkshire will see the heaviest falls of rain tomorrow with upto 20mm falling locally in these areas but more typically between 10mm and 15mm. The rain will fall in pulses so there is unlikely to be constant heavy rain all day but just heavy bursts of rain interspersed by lighter rain or some drier slots.

Elsewhere, more especially for M4 corridor counties and northwards the rainfall should be that bit lighter. It will still be wet and the odd heavy burst is still possible, but accumulations shouldn't exceed around 8mm here with much more lighter falls of rain than for those further south.

The sporadic rainband will arrive and travel east through our region during tomorrow morning and last for much of the afternoon for many of us before starting to clear from the west into the evening.

Temperatures are likely to be dissappointing for the time of year with mid teens the typical sort of values discovered tomorrow. High teens in one or two sheltered areas is possible still.

After tomorrow you'll be pleased to know that Summer looks like slowly returning again. Next week looks very dry with just a few showers here and there and as the week progress's the cloudcover should start to shift and some clear sunny and very warm days look like arriving in time for the Bank Holiday weekend.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Well if we must have rain, let's have something measurable. Since April, only May has produced a smidgeon above average rainfall in my neck of the woods. Today's band broke up as it pass through the valley locally and I measured a stunning 1.6mm, the monthly total now a stunning 11.8mm, I kid you, not!

Posted

Well if we must have rain, let's have something measurable. Since April, only May has produced a smidgeon above average rainfall in my neck of the woods. Today's band broke up as it pass through the valley locally and I measured a stunning 1.6mm, the monthly total now a stunning 11.8mm, I kid you, not!

It's looking rather patchy with benign amounts around your area. Heaviest stuff will be further south and west from you.Still, enough to cool down the horses at the racecourse tomorrow.

Posted

Can see rain coming in from the west on the radar already, as a thin band of something very heavy. I'm hoping at least for intermittent rain as tomorrow is a day with outdoor plans - yet another about to be rained off this summer.

Posted

just planning what to do today. meto has the rain arriving here at 13:00, netweather has 16:00. Looking at radar it does seem that meto will be nearest the mark so outdoors chores will be done this morning!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme

Probably going to stay dry all morning and in to part of the afternoon from West Dorset eastward, unfortunately rain this evening just in time for the start of Bridport carnival!

Guest William Grimsley

Tomorrow's forecast map;

Posted Imageimage.jpg

Not much to say about tomorrow apart from it looks like being a miserable day for all of us. Each and every one of us will see some form of rain at some point tomorrow.

The area in red which includes much of Cornwall, parts of Devon, much of Dorset, South Somerset, South Wiltshire, South Hampshire and parts of Berkshire will see the heaviest falls of rain tomorrow with upto 20mm falling locally in these areas but more typically between 10mm and 15mm. The rain will fall in pulses so there is unlikely to be constant heavy rain all day but just heavy bursts of rain interspersed by lighter rain or some drier slots.

Elsewhere, more especially for M4 corridor counties and northwards the rainfall should be that bit lighter. It will still be wet and the odd heavy burst is still possible, but accumulations shouldn't exceed around 8mm here with much more lighter falls of rain than for those further south.

The sporadic rainband will arrive and travel east through our region during tomorrow morning and last for much of the afternoon for many of us before starting to clear from the west into the evening.

Temperatures are likely to be dissappointing for the time of year with mid teens the typical sort of values discovered tomorrow. High teens in one or two sheltered areas is possible still.

After tomorrow you'll be pleased to know that Summer looks like slowly returning again. Next week looks very dry with just a few showers here and there and as the week progress's the cloudcover should start to shift and some clear sunny and very warm days look like arriving in time for the Bank Holiday weekend.

Newton Poppleford is right in the middle of that red zone! Bring it on! We need a good band of rain! Everything is looking quite dry! :D

Can see rain coming in from the west on the radar already, as a thin band of something very heavy. I'm hoping at least for intermittent rain as tomorrow is a day with outdoor plans - yet another about to be rained off this summer.

Now there's quite a big band of moderate/heavy rain crossing to the S of Ireland and is heading straight for SW England in time for this afternoon! :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy autumn, hot and sunny summer and thunderstorms all year round.

I'd imagine the winds will be quite noticeable today and not just the rain.

Its definately going to be the windiest its been since June around here.

Guest William Grimsley

I'd imagine the winds will be quite noticeable today and not just the rain.

Its definately going to be the windiest its been since June around here.

Yes at NPW, the highest wind gust today is 15 mph, could easily reach 25 mph later today!Definitely.

Posted

Yes at NPW, the highest wind gust today is 15 mph, could easily reach 25 mph later today!

Definitely.

Posted Image

Many Met Office official exposed stations are forecast to get gusts around the 30-35mph range for our region today. More than just 25mph.

To reduce confusion I normally refer to Official, properly exposed locations when quoting wind speeds and not localised unexposed ones.Posted Image

Guest William Grimsley

Posted Image

Many Met Office official exposed stations are forecast to get gusts around the 30-35mph range for our region today. More than just 25mph.

To reduce confusion I normally refer to Official, properly exposed locations when quoting wind speeds and not localised unexposed ones.Posted Image

Newton Poppleford Weather is very exposed to the SW wind here couldn't get any better around here so hopefully the highest gust today is 30-35 mph, at Newton Poppleford Weather! Yes.

Yes, Newton Poppleford Weather is exposed in most directions except from the WNW, NW, NNW, N and NNE, yes I see.

Edited by William Grimsley

Posted

NPW is very exposed to the SW wind here couldn't get any better around here so hopefully the highest gust today is 30-35 mph, at NPW! Yes.

Yes, NPW is official in most wind readings except from the WNW, NW, NNW, N and NNE, yes I see.

The NPW confused me, sorry.

At least I now know thats Short for Newton Poppleford Devon.Posted Image

Edited by wimblettben

Posted

Last night was not clear.. Thin cloud about.. Saw the moon  so that was good. Two satellites seen passing over head. 1 1/2 hrs. trying then went to bed at 23:30;

Now it is cloudy. 17.0c. Humidity 83%..Breeze is still light but just put a jumper on.... 

Guest William Grimsley

Some very heavy rain is approaching SW England, now! :D

The NPW confused me, sorry.

At least I now know thats Short for Newton Poppleford Devon.Posted Image

I edited my post to say Newton Poppleford Weather instead of NPW. But, yes. NPW means Newton Poppleford Weather.

Hehe!Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Some very heavy rain is approaching SW England, now! Posted Image

I edited my post to say Newton Poppleford Weather instead of NPW. But, yes. NPW means Newton Poppleford Weather.

Hehe!Posted Image

sure is, and some showery outbreaks ahead of the main bulk of rain......here's a NW Extra snapshot of the radar showing the rainfall developing

post-4149-0-13924100-1376731380_thumb.pn

Image © NetWeather.tv

Guest William Grimsley

sure is, and some showery outbreaks ahead of the main bulk of rain......here's a NW Extra snapshot of the radar showing the rainfall developing

Posted Imageviewimage.pbx.png

Image © NetWeather.tv

Hopefully, the rainfall stays at it's current or higher intensity as it moves over to Devon.