Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Possible Storm This Weekend Discussion

Skullzrulerz

Posted

06Z NAE has Friday's low weaker and Saturday's low a little more intense.

Posted Image

i think its  Saturday   the  met  worried  about

Edited by tinybill

Posted

Met O current forecast has two periods of higher gusts tomorrow and Saturday:

post-6667-0-09256300-1383212342_thumb.pn

post-6667-0-42390700-1383212327_thumb.pn

Both reflecting the general ideas of most models now.

Posted

Which solution shows anything more than 50 mph gusts (and that only for south coast) on Saturday ? Not great for bonfire night but shouldn't be too troublesome apart from rain

• Like 1

Posted

XC Weather are about the same, with a peak sustained out in The Channel of 48 mph on Saturday:

post-6667-0-68775800-1383212965_thumb.jp

Do we know what model they use?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Latest text update from the met talks of strong winds but nothing on the scale of earlier this week

Outlook for Saturday to Monday:

Remaining changeable with strong winds, bright spells and showery outbreaks of rain over the weekend. Persistent rain in southern Britain on Monday but drier elsewhere. Feeling cold in the wind.

• Like 1

Posted

XC Weather are about the same, with a peak sustained out in The Channel of 48 mph on Saturday:

Posted ImageXC weather.jpg

Do we know what model they use?

GFS

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Which solution shows anything more than 50 mph gusts (and that only for south coast) on Saturday ? Not great for bonfire night but shouldn't be too troublesome apart from rain

I beg to differ with that.

I mentioned in the storm thread last week, that 45mph gusts had brough down trees around this area before the stronger winds had arrived. Monday night/mornings winds would have potentially weakened alot of trees that didn't fall over, and again, with soft soil, there's enough to warrant a risk of disruption. 

Edited by Mapantz
  • Like 1

Posted

Still vast uncertainty with respect to these two lows.

It is almost like a see-saw where one system will get the power.

One interesting solution postured by a GEFS member is that the two lows merge to our southwest and then track northeast.

There are a section of ensembles that deepen the initial low and bring it across England bringing heavy rain and strong winds to the south, in these instances the second low is usually just a minor disturbance.

The other large section of members don't do much with the first low but ramp up the second low as it crosses the British Isles.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Matty M

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The most likely outcome. The MJO is only half the story!

Essentially this is just a wet and windy weekend and enough to spoil things for people who want firework parties. But it is not a 'storm' in the real sense of the word (thankfully)

Edited by Tamara תָּמָר
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme weather - any kind!

As Matty M said, quite an interesting spread in the GFS ensembles, ranging from a fairly minor 985mb low to some much deeper solutions which track the low more northeast over the country. I expect the less deep 985mb-ish low will be closest to what actually happens, but a close eye needs to be kept on the weather for Saturday.

(Also interesting how quiet the forum is now despite some interesting weather/model watching ahead - obviously the intense media coverage got all the trolls logging on last week!)

Edited by Cold Winter
  • Like 3

Posted

I beg to differ with that.

I mentioned in the storm thread last week, that 45mph gusts had brough down trees around this area before the stronger winds had arrived. Monday night/mornings winds would have potentially weakened alot of trees that didn't fall over, and again, with soft soil, there's enough to warrant a risk of disruption. 

Yes there will be some localised issues but I just meant its not a disruptive spell of weather that's coming up (for the majority) - just standard autumnal weather !

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The most likely outcome. The MJO is only half the story!

Yes there will be some localised issues but I just meant its not a disruptive spell of weather that's coming up (for the majority) - just standard autumnal weather !

Rain looks the much greater threat than wind over the coming days. Saturday looks the 'best' of the next three days or so with a window between the low pressures from the atlantic.Overall though, it sums up what an awful time of year this can be for weather and made even more depressing with the ever darker evenings. It illustrates why I think that autumn is my least favourite season of all, although winter can be as well if all it offers is this kind of thing 

Edited by Tamara תָּמָר

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, warm weather not too hot, floods, storms

Posted Image Post Deleted.

Edited by pip22

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, warm weather not too hot, floods, storms

It will probably be a typical tropical storm warning (american term). Nothing more than that.

Posted

Apparently we are going to see up-to 90mph gusts this weekend...............if you believe the express which I don't

http://forum.netweather.tv/topic/69782-weather-in-the-general-media-newspaper-features-etc/?p=2823720

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme aside from heat. Pref cold and snow

Apparently we are going to see up-to 90mph gusts this weekend...............if you believe the express which I don't

http://forum.netweather.tv/topic/69782-weather-in-the-general-media-newspaper-features-etc/?p=2823720

Its sad that anyone actually believes this drivell.....All they do is put panic and fear into the population...oh and sell news papers which is why they do it.

• Like 3

Posted

and to quote from the headline - Madden says

"And he warned that temperatures will also drop through next month rapidly turning heavy downpours to snow."

Lol well if that happens I'll subscribe for a year to his sitePosted Image

• Like 3

Posted

Hurricane force winds for the north this weekend?  Yes, if you live in the Exactaweather alternative universe.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun or snow, nothing in between.

Apologies if I'm out, I'm still learning. But this looks interesting?

post-20819-0-83177100-1383222492_thumb.p

Posted

and to quote from the headline - Madden says

"And he warned that temperatures will also drop through next month rapidly turning heavy downpours to snow."

Lol well if that happens I'll subscribe for a year to his sitePosted Image

That was Jonathan Powell not Madden

Jonathan Powell, forecaster for Vantage Weather Services, said that relentless gales could batter the country until the end of November. He said: “The jet stream is currently behaving like a stuck record, channelling whatever erupts out in the Atlantic right towards the UK. “So we could see a succession of ferocious and damaging storms rattling on right through to the end of November.†And he warned that temperatures will also drop through next month rapidly turning heavy downpours to snow.

Posted

Rain warnings in the south added for Sunday and Monday

Issued at: 1016 on Thu 31 Oct 2013

Valid from: 1800 on Sun 3 Nov 2013

Valid to: 1200 on Mon 4 Nov 2013

Rain, heavy at times, is expected to spread eastwards across southern UK later on Sunday before clearing during Monday. This additional rainfall, following recent wet weather, means that the public should be aware of the risk of localised flooding.

Chief Forecaster's assessment

A frontal zone moving across the Atlantic this weekend is expected to extend eastwards across southern UK later on Sunday before clearing away southeastwards during Monday. Associated rain is likely to be heavy at times with accumulations typically between 10 and 20 mm and locally close to 30 mm. Conditions will also become rather windy in English Channel coastal areas where gales may develop for a time during Sunday evening and the early hours of Monday.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings/#?tab=warnings&map=Warnings&zoom=5&lon=-3.50&lat=55.50&fcTime=1383523200&regionName=uk