Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Possible Storm This Weekend Discussion

Skullzrulerz

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

The BBC have just tweeted to say that half a months rainfall could fall across parts of southern England in the next few days. It always makes me chuckle when they say things like that, i mean, which month in particular? Because how are the public supposed to know how much rainfall falls in a month?

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms/squalls/hoar-frost/mist

several lightning strikes in northern Scotland earlier!, could be squally thundery showers in southern areas on Saturday too, south coast looks the windiest place on Saturday.

Posted

The BBC have just tweeted to say that half a months rainfall could fall across parts of southern England in the next few days. It always makes me chuckle when they say things like that, i mean, which month in particular? Because how are the public supposed to know how much rainfall falls in a month?

I guess they are highlighting a period of intense rain in a particular area (South) as it appears on most models now at various times right through to Monday morning. My journey in through Sussex this morning demonstrated there is already quite a bit of lying water in the fields and the Cuckmere River is pretty swollen already. Add to that quite a lot of localised flooding on country roads and leaves still blocking many drains in towns, it could be an issue.

I know what you mean about a 'months' worth of rain though, perhaps its to give a general feeling to the public that it will be quite intense at times without getting too technical about specific amounts in mm?

Edited by Coast
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

Apologies if I'm out, I'm still learning. But this looks interesting?

Is that rain?

Not sure what this chart is, but if it's rain looks like a flooding issue.

'Vantage Weather Services' to tell me there are two now? Maybe Madden and Powell send each other Dickensian Christmas cards of ye olde blizzard of chuff knows when!

It does seem that these troughs are moving over Norway then Siberia into the Far North over Greenland thus being picked up as a multiple generation system into the Atlantic to once again scoot our way. Any once else see this, or is that how this weather rolls anyways?

Edited by Tangerine Lion

Apologies if I'm out, I'm still learning. But this looks interesting?

This is a Rain chart, the darker the colour usually indicates heavier rain, usually these charts have keys at the bottom or the side showing you the rate per hour of rain that will fall, they also usually come in 3hr intervals I think this one is gfs but don't quote me on that one 

Edited by Surrey

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun or snow, nothing in between.

Is that rain?Not sure what this chart is, but if it's rain looks like a flooding issue.

Yes, from Wetterzentrale, precipitation chart.

Posted

http://m.bathchronicle.co.uk/articles/news/article/20007108

I have no idea on the quality of that website. Can anyone more experienced comment on it?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Yes, from Wetterzentrale, precipitation chart.

The pink spots also relate to convection, so that would likely indicate a lot of the rainfall will be of a showery, convective nature.

Posted

http://m.bathchronicle.co.uk/articles/news/article/20007108I have no idea on the quality of that website. Can anyone more experienced comment on it?

so why was a good deal of the last summer so warm and dry then?

• Like 2

Posted

gordon bennett-what some folk do for either a lugh or money or both!

Posted

so why was a good deal of the last summer so warm and dry then?

I assume that was aimed at the article, and not me.Wasn't too sure of it myself, that's why I thought I'd ask here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

I guess they are highlighting a period of intense rain in a particular area (South) as it appears on most models now at various times right through to Monday morning. My journey in through Sussex this morning demonstrated there is already quite a bit of lying water in the fields and the Cuckmere River is pretty swollen already. Add to that quite a lot of localised flooding on country roads and leaves still blocking many drains in towns, it could be an issue.

I know what you mean about a 'months' worth of rain though, perhaps its to give a general feeling to the public that it will be quite intense at times without getting too technical about specific amounts in mm?

I'm not too sure about other locations but i spent quite a bit of time a few years back, gathering local statistics from the MO and from friends journals as well as my own station averages, it worked out that the October average here is around 85mm, November just below that, at around 78mm. October currently stands at 138mm this year (could be a few more mm this evening)  wettest month since January.  The current model outputs do suggest rather a lot of rain to come, even over a 7 day period, but potentially 40 to 50mm falling over 3 days, that will certainly kick-start November's rainfall total.

I went for a ride earlier and you can see the rivers are brown from the water running off the fields, they're saturated!  They are also tidal here, the scenarios appearing on the models coincide with the higher tides as we head towards a new moon, i can see the causeway between here and the next town being flooded again. I'll shall get some pics if it happens. :)

• Like 1

Posted

I assume that was aimed at the article, and not me.Wasn't too sure of it myself, that's why I thought I'd ask here.

sorry Dr F it was the article I questioned not you

Posted

sorry Dr F it was the article I questioned not you

No worries, I thought as much :)