Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West/Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion 27/10/13 1730z ------->

A.J

Posted

Just a normal windy autumn morning here in Bristol. Never even got woken up in the night by any strong winds or gusts - did we dodge it then?

First text from a friend 30 mins ago saying - "Is that it?!" Sheepish reply from me was "Erm....yes."

As i quietly dodge the "Thought it was going to be worse storm in years!"

Edited by Bristle boy
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Location: SW of Sherborne. About a mile from the Somerset border.
  • Location: SW of Sherborne. About a mile from the Somerset border.

Seems that we got off quite lightly here on the Dorset/Somerset border, in spite of the 75mph gust at Yeovilton which is only about 5 miles away as the crow flies.  There may be more trees and branches down on the side roads, but reports of fallen trees on main roads only show that two are blocked/closed completely, several others partially blocked.

Posted

I slept through the incredible winds of 29mph and gusts of 43mph Posted Image ... Confess to being the teensiest bit disappointed Posted Image

Still, far as I know, nobody else has died (that poor lad's family must be distraught) which is a relief.

Pressure is climbing by 3.7 per hour so I guess this is all over for us!  Business as usual!

Posted

Morning all.

Well, the wind here wasn't so bad as to keep me awake!

Looking at the official data for wind gusts overnight, it seems the coastal areas picked up the highest values, as you'd expect but with some fierce gusts inland, most likely ahead of, and during the passage of the low's cold front. It could have all been much worse I think.

The 99mph at the Needles isn't surprising, it usually claims that title for highest gust in these situations given its location as the wind gets funnelled up the Solent. 75mph at my nearest station (Solent) is not that surprising either, as it's pretty exposed there. Outside locally I see no sign of any damage.

All in all, quite a vigorous LP but not that exceptional, only inasmuch as it's quite early in the season for it. Certainly, not on a par with 1987. Still, all credit to the Met, not a bad job I think, although inland sustained wind speeds not as high as they thought.

I expect we may hear of more damage on the near continent, maybe Denmark, as this LP reaches its peak later. 07H pressure is 976mb so it's probably got a bit more deepening to do.

Looking ahead for this week, the powerful Atlantic jet would seem likely to bring further LPs in our direction so it still has the potential for some strong winds to come. Interesting autumnal weather!

• Like 3

Posted

Business as usual!

Not if you want to catch a train!!...Is the entire rail network run by bufoons?

Posted

Absolutley delighted the so called storm came to nothing in North Somerset. Hopefully nobody injured etc. The rain seems to have caused most problems.

So pleased it wasnt a blizzard the METO were forecasting otherwise people would be jumping of the suspension bridge this morning.

I left for work at 5.45, light winds and heavy down pours.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, hot sunny weather

Sun is out, all peaceful and quiet here in Gloucester, think the storm by passed us completely!!

Posted

no if it had been as bad as they thought and then they run the trains and people were injured you would be calling them all the names under the sun, so don't be so selfish just because it has not been as bad around your area there are other parts that have and still have problems.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

Tell me about it. I work on the railway (on the freight side I must add so nothing to with passenger trains) and loads of lines are closed, partially closed etc.- No trains running through Salisbury down to Romsey currently due to a train colliding with a tree. Driver taken to hospital, no other injuries reported.- Tree blocking the line at Ivybridge- Tree blocking the line at Yetminster- Tree down at Banbury- Tree blocking the line at Kingham- Tree partially blocking the line at Bere Alston- No services on the Southern NetworkAll this means my job to Eastleigh has been cancelled and hopefully the ODM will let me go home soon! lol.
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

Sun is out, should be a nice breezy day.

There were a few trees down on my way to work, but all off the road and in fields, a lot of debris laying around, and the big winners of this storm will be the Fencing companies, fences down everywhere, including several of mine!

Flooding still very much evident!!

Posted

no if it had been as bad as they thought and then they run the trains and people were injured you would be calling them all the names under the sun, so don't be so selfish just because it has not been as bad around your area there are other parts that have and still have problems.

Plenty of trees down around here and I appreciate on some lines. What really hacks me off is the poor and often conflicting information available from the various operators... and why do they need to be running an "emergency timetable" this evening??.....a bit of organisation and co-ordination and they could have a decent service running this afternoon.

Edited by Kiwi

Posted

Plenty of trees down around here and I appreciate on some lines. What really hacks me off is the poor and often conflicting information available from the various operators... and why do they need to be running an "emergency timetable" this evening??.....a bit of organisation and co-ordination and they could have a decent service running this afternoon.

you did not say about this afternoon that is different when the storm was last night and early this morning

Posted

All this means my job to Eastleigh has been cancelled and hopefully the ODM will let me go home soon! lol.

You probably come through Bramley (between Basingstoke and Reading)... I get to watch plenty of freight coming through as I sit at the level crossing!...I'll give you a wave next time.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and snow but not together

There has been some trees down on lines so bloody good job they didn't run as normal and take a passenger train full of people onto a track at full speed with trees down.. As it was one has hit a tree on the line.. Thankfully no passengers on board. Think they have been really sensible. Doing what they have done has meant less delay getting everything back on time. Think people think don't judge or critise too soon. .
  • Like 3

Posted

You probably come through Bramley (between Basingstoke and Reading)... I get to watch plenty of freight coming through as I sit at the level crossing!...I'll give you a wave next time.

Nah, I should have gone Westbury - Eastleigh via Salisbury & Romsey! :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and snow but not together

There is probably an emergency timetable as there is prob more of an issue on some lines. Don't forget it may not be just a case of lifting a tree. They have to check rails, signals points, etc etc ... No engineering problem will be the same everywhere! Do you understand engineering?

There is probably an emergency timetable as there is prob more of an issue on some lines. Don't forget it may not be just a case of lifting a tree. They have to check rails, signals points, etc etc ... No engineering problem will be the same everywhere! And will be complex or have knock on effects- Do you understand engineering?

Posted

Well, the 6:00am drive to Coventry from Swindon was interesting this morning!

A couple of fallen trees on the A420, but other than that it was the spray that caused the most issues. No delays though as I avoided rush hour and was just able to go around the trees (only over half the road), but I hate to think what it's like now.

The last 12 hours have been interesting to say the least. It was great being able to watch as the low rapidly intensified right on top of us, it's much more nerve-wracking nowcasting. :p

The Met really did a great job at forecasting this, and the models did brilliantly to pick this up 5 days ago. I must say the hospitality of members on this forum really add to the experience, I don't think anyone would have had as much fun watching it if it wasn't for the great community here.

Hopefully everyone stayed safe, and didn't have any property damage. :)

• Like 4

Posted

A few incidents coming through on various twitter feeds now. From the BBC;

"Getting reports of a very large tree down & blocking the A37 at Chilthorne Domer between Ilchester & Yeovil. Road is completely closed."

A tree crushed a thankfully vacant car at Marlborough;

post-12721-0-31976700-1382951950_thumb.j

From the BBC Wiltshire;

"STORM NEWS: Kings Road in Easterton will be closed due to a large fallen tree blocking the carriageway."

"BBCWiltshire tree down on a420 nr Shrivenham. Police on scene controlling traffic."

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

morning all!........strewth, that was a pretty wild night!......Lots of large branches down here, the wind woke everyone up around half five this morning as it was so loud!....not surprised to see we had 77mph gusts here, it certainly sounded like it outside!

Posted

Looks like the South East received the worst winds. Reports on various media sites of falling trees killing people etc.

Kind of makes you half glad we got off lightly now! :)

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

uh oh, round 2 anyone......?

UKMO 144

Posted Image

ECM seems to agree 

Posted Image

a few adjustments and and I could going out again Posted Image

GEM has ago also

Posted Image

they say to look for trends don't they........?

Edited by karlos1983
  • Like 1