Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East & East Anglia Regional Weather Discussion 25/11/13

Snowangel-MK

Posted

Have a look at this posted by Cooling Climate in the historical weather thread,http://forum.netweather.tv/topic/78309-weather-and-circulation-pattern-january-1963/

If we had that now we would have big trouble. There was less reliance on infrastructure and more food stored locally.

I've read some sites where people advocate keeping 2 weeks supplies in the house in winter just in case. I think we'd be ok unless the electricity went, then many parts of North Norfolk would be in deep do do. No gas, many people with electric heating, but any form of central heating relies on having some power.

with the National power generation reserve less than 20 % Time to get a generator to at least keep one room warm.

Ps. Wrote all of that on a Galaxy note, not only does it recognise my writing the only word it had a problem with was Galaxy ( both times I wrote it)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

All this doom and gloom talk ( was it ? ) all leccy here so a power cut would be bad, I would loose everything but the biscuits.

iuscuits

Posted

I've read some sites where people advocate keeping 2 weeks supplies in the house in winter just in case. I think we'd be ok unless the electricity went, then many parts of North Norfolk would be in deep do do. No gas, many people with electric heating, but any form of central heating relies on having some power. 

In winter I try to keep a few days supplies anyway, enough powdered milk for a hot drink, tins of soup, toilet rolls, that sort of thing, having had experience of being ill for a week and unable to go out.Just seems sensible.

With regards to no heating, like many I lived through the 70's with no central heating and even in the 80's lived with plastic sheeting on the windows in winter.

It isn't pleasant but it can be done with a little camping stove for hot drinks, a large torch, and plenty of layers on.

• Like 2

Posted

All this doom and gloom talk ( was it ? ) all leccy here so a power cut would be bad, I would loose everything but the biscuits.

iuscuits

if you're talking about freezer food, i remember when we didn't have a freezer in the 70's and when the tiny fridge was full, leaving milk, beefburgers, etc in a cardboard box in the snow and it kept.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, snow, snow......... Snow

I read in the Independent Last week that the sun will be flipping 360 degrees (bit more technical then that)in the next couple of weeks and this will have a major effect on our weather. So, as a result of this, do those "forecasts" we have read recently seem out of the question. *awaits backlash*.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, Storms and epic cold snowy winters

Anyone for a bit of pressure pattern matching......

Posted Imageimage.jpg

...just saying !

Good Call MK...

Posted Image

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bT5zlj_usY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7g341KD_U8

Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted

I wasn't trying to be doom and gloom, just saying we have to be careful what we wish for.

Personally I DO have a generator as we've had a couple of times wher ethe power has been out for more than a day.  I can run the genny for 3 hours and keep the freezers frozen for 24 hours, it's powerful enough to run a 3kW fan heater (and the laptop and broadband ).  So unless the telephone wires come down I'll still be competing in the Snow cup.

Finally I have a big (7kW) gas ring to cook food with

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.

I read in the Independent Last week that the sun will be flipping 360 degrees (bit more technical then that)in the next couple of weeks and this will have a major effect on our weather. So, as a result of this, do those "forecasts" we have read recently seem out of the question. *awaits backlash*.

Isn't it that the Sun's magnetic field is about to reverse? North Pole becomes South Pole and vice versa. I wouldn't think it'd be too big a deal for us. I'm actually wondering whether it fits into the 11 odd year solar magnetic cycle, although that's just a guess. Posted Image
  • Like 1

I wasn't trying to be doom and gloom, just saying we have to be careful what we wish for.

Personally I DO have a generator as we've had a couple of times wher ethe power has been out for more than a day.  I can run the genny for 3 hours and keep the freezers frozen for 24 hours, it's powerful enough to run a 3kW fan heater (and the laptop and broadband ).  So unless the telephone wires come down I'll still be competing in the Snow cup.

Finally I have a big (7kW) gas ring to cook food with

That's dedication having a backup plan for the Snow CupPosted Image

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

Ooooh you tease.

Your not the first person to say that today *blushes* Mr P treated me to a gingerbread latte in a snowman cup earlier .....post-10773-0-73079500-1385503828_thumb.j....mmmm it was delushious :-)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Very Hot,Very cold.scared of thunder and lightning.

The third wolf has been shot dead. Everyone around Colchester can now sleep easily! :angry:

It's upsetting,however I live very close to the zoo and have to say Was worried about going for a dog walk.not so much for me but it could attack another animal.If it did attack a small child I am sure people would then ask why it wasn't shot?Can't take the risk.
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Very Hot,Very cold.scared of thunder and lightning.

Lol yes I do .....but then I don't wear fluffy socks and high heels (well not at the same time anyway).....

Posted Imageimage.jpg

....must be an Essex thing ;-) x

Omg I can't believe you did that!!!it got cold and I had to go outside for a ciggie so needs be must.exactly what age do you get to when you say I don't care what I look like I'd rather be warm?looool.
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, Storms and epic cold snowy winters

Anyone for a bit of pressure pattern matching......

Posted Imageimage.jpg

...just saying !

MK, I am going to drag this spot on image to the Model thread, I can think 1 person who will be over the moon and another who will be Bah Humbug. Hope your Ok with this.

• Like 1

Posted

http://www.weathercharts.org/ukmomslp-png.htm

outlook is boring for now

heres friday

strong north west wind

looks dry but some heavy gusty showers likely late pm

cold around 5-7 degrees

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

-------------------------------------------------------------------

friday night cold and damp

a frost if skys clear

-------------------------------------------------------------

saturday

a chilly north west to northerly flow and still breezy

looks dry

cold again around 6-8 degrees

Posted Image

Posted Image

• Like 2

Posted

Mr P treated me to a gingerbread latte in a snowman cup earlier .........mmmm it was delushious :-)

you've mentioned this thing before...........I suspect a gingerbread latte addiction.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

you've mentioned this thing before...........I suspect a gingerbread latte addiction.

Last time it was a cinnamon one .... I'm working my way through them to find my favourite so far it's the gingerbread one (it came with a mini gingerbread man)
  • Like 1