Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion 17th Dec.2013-12z onwards.

phil nw.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat and Snow

I Hate to say it- the GFS is being more consistent than the ECM Op at the moment- however the UKMO is equally consistent!!!  I must say the AO looks tanked at 180 on the GFS- we are just missing the atlantic heights- More updates soon - S

The GFS could be consistently wrong for all we know.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold ,snow

very confusing state of affairs on the mo this evening to put it mildly!!! The nh profile is looking traumatised at best but even in fi we cant get those sreas of low pressure to zip south east and pull down some great 850sPosted Image

Posted

Whichever way you look at it, it looks like goodnight Vienna for the vortex come the end of the first week of Jan with a fairly notable -AO looking reasonably likely. Nuances remain to just how the UK is affected but, as I said to someone at work a few days back, I think the snow will have made an impact by 10th January.

no wine this time Crewe!I suspect you could well be right but I'm increasingly thinking an old fashioned snow line towards the north of the UK. current punt north of Carlisle.
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm

Now we are getting there, expect more support for N and NE'ly blasts

BFTP

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

no wine this time Crewe!

I suspect you could well be right but I'm increasingly thinking an old fashioned snow line towards the north of the UK. current punt north of Carlisle.

I'll take your Carlisle and raise you Leeds, I might even throw in a Manchester if you twitch. Posted Image

I honestly think somewhere in the North of England has a decent chance of seeing a heavy snowfall or two first half of Jan albeit transient.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

After a little bit of thinking I might have an idea of where my viewpoint might be swaying as we heading into 2014.

Couple of things to consider or at least question.

1) The GFS is on it's own about a height rise to the north east, is it calling this wrong?

2) Are the Euro models overdoing the jetstream in the day 5-8 range, the UKMO/ECM have a much more significant polar vortex segment over Canada and hence a stronger jet. Have they got this wrong and the American (GFS/GEM) version of low heights draining from the region during this timeframe correct.

The morning runs tomorrow will be significant to see how these two points are resolved.

I currently think the GFS will try to move towards a Scandi ridge scenario, whilst the euros will drop the strong jet stream coming out of Newfoundland.

Which leaves us with the model which I believe might be closet to the correct solution. Which is.....

Posted Image

The GEM

Could be worse Posted Image

Edited by Captain shortwave
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

very confusing state of affairs on the mo this evening to put it mildly!!! The nh profile is looking traumatised at best but even in fi we cant get those sreas of low pressure to zip south east and pull down some great 850sPosted Image

Not very confusing at all to be honest - look at the larger hemispheric picture rather than whether or not we can "tap into" pools of cold air, which will likely be in entirely different locations when the time comes. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

Just catching up, and pleased to see some of the models again hinting at a spell of cold zonality with an increasing chance of snow, frost and ice could be ours for a large part of january..and no downgrade from met office update today either, coldies might have something to smile about soon. :-)

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold ,snow

Not very confusing at all to be honest - look at the larger hemispheric picture rather than whether or not we can "tap into" pools of cold air, which will likely be in entirely different locations when the time comes. 

sorry i wasnt very clear.I was remarking on the difference between gfs,ukmo ,ecm ete.the ref to the areas of low pressure was tongue in cheek ie bad luck even in fi

Posted

Interesting run from the GFS, my take is that we are now starting to see some avenues out of the current pattern, but that there is no consistency with what will replace it, I would be loathe to favour a substantial cold shot at this stage (cautious certainly) but what I would say is that once the PV shifts and becomes fragmented a process already underway then 1. All options are on the table and 2. Events are likely to move quicker than the current modelling suggests, FI potentially becomes substantially shorter, with model output solutions becoming very volatile, by that I mean that I would expect to see a number of substantially different solutions being offered every run post 144hrs, we are already starting to see this. In the shorter term breezy rather than stormy looks likely but with no let up with the rain, especially in the areas that have been badly affected. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

Posted Image

Posted

Things will change, but whether that's in mid January or late March, who knows...

So, maybe we should be pragmatic with our approach, and look at the next 10 days or so, and let mid January take care of itself.

The ECM op doesn't indicate any significant pattern change away from zonality. Its ensemble mean is still reluctant to build heights to our NE. So, a mobile westerly flow... for the foreseeable is heavily favoured. The height anomalies, day 6-10 for the ECM are below. They tell their own story.

Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms

Posted Image

Good clustering on the cool/cold side and the op was some way above the mean at day 10, so pretty good for cold prospects as far as things stand at the moment.

Posted

I don't wish to be a killjoy but from what I'm seeing this evening, be prepared for a long ride of current pattern thru most of jan (don't ask for charts or data, I'm not allowed to post them here) after a relitive softening up of the vortex to mid next week, looks like re organising It's strength to the back end of next week somewhere between SE Greenland and south of west Icelandic waters with a strong but relitively flat azores ridging and rapidly collapsing eastward :(

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme cold & snow

No cold signal at all from the ENS 18z, even the cold Op outlier has disappeared.

Posted Image

Ah well enjoy the wind and rain. Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted

I still think the models are on the whole underplaying the Arctic high effects. Historically a nightmare to model accurately, with a small tweak here and a small tweak there we could very easily be staring down the barrel during the second week of Jan. Not the barrel of endless zonality but that of severe cold spell. I have to say I am perhaps a little surprised that we haven't seen any proper stellar runs creep in over the past 3 days. Maybe that does indeed tell its own story but I would be surprised if we don't see the models give us some proper FI eye candy over the coming days.

Bottom line is, who wouldn't have taken this if offered back at the start of December... ?

post-5114-0-51502100-1388191395_thumb.gi

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms

No cold signal at all from the ENS 18z, even the cold Op outlier has disappeared.

Posted Image

Yes because we trust every single ens output... Okay maybe this particular run has no cold outliers. However, that does not define the actual outcome, it merely hints at possibilities. 20 runs will not cover every possibility. Remain open minded and resist getting drawn in by any single run or even a series of runs, as changes can be rapid or they can be gradual, whether that be mild, cold, dry or wet.

Edited by Joe Levy
  • Like 5

Posted

Posted Image

How dare you post this in here. How dare you annoy those seeking cold.... you really should know better Purga**

This is the problem with the ens... they show cold at day 10, and then a few days tick by, and the lowers start to rise nearer the time. As I've said recently, I expect into January we will see below average, but nothing too extreme. Unfortunately, that doesn't sit well with others, who seemingly want endless days of snow and ice.

*denotes sarcasm.

• Like 2

Posted

Why do you think something colder looks imminent from around the 10th? I must admit that I can't find any evidence to support that at the moment. I can't speak for people's motivation but you can't argue that its a fair point.GEFS are very poor tonight. I've looked through them and they are as poor a set as I've seen for some days. I really want to be wrong but to me everything just points to more of the same. I think Crewe will achieve legendary status if his call for a severe January comes off as there is nothing whatsoever to suggest that.

Edited by Osbourne One-Nil
Quoted post has been removed.
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

I still think the models are on the whole underplaying the Arctic high effects. Historically a nightmare to model accurately, with a small tweak here and a small tweak there we could very easily be staring down the barrel during the second week of Jan. Not the barrel of endless zonality but that of severe cold spell. I have to say I am perhaps a little surprised that we haven't seen any proper stellar runs creep in over the past 3 days. Maybe that does indeed tell its own story but I would be surprised if we don't see the models give us some proper FI eye candy over the coming days.

Bottom line is, who wouldn't have taken this if offered back at the start of December... ?

Posted ImageRhavn1801.gif

I think you're right - hemispherically, the building blocks of a decent cold spell are there, with the AO finally forecast to enter negative territory and the MJO poised to enter into the -NAO friendly phases. Will this come together to bring in a decent cold spell by mid January? Difficult to say at this stage, but given we've spent the entirety of December in a +AO phase we're undeniably in a more favourable position going into January than we have been for most of this month. Whether that actually translates to cold and snow on the ground is largely dependent on smaller scale developments closer to the time i.e. disrupting troughs, increased amplification of the Azores ridge etc. and I'm not all that concerned about the lack of goodies in FI at this stage because we're all (with perhaps the exception of Crewe 'coldest winter since the Younger Dryas' ColdPosted Image ) aware that this is likely to be a slow burner, if it is indeed a burner at all.

• Like 8

Maybe we should split this topic for cold lovers and zonal spotters. It's becoming like a discussion of politics.

I seek zonal, like gales not do much rain and do naturally look for this.

The theme for what I see is unsettled for second week of January - longer than I thought. It seems the models want to play a colder card in FI expecting it to move closer but the Atlantic is a big signal other things are afoot. I'm sure it will go cooler in this period but interrupted easily and poss not able to take a hold.

For cold lovers I have sympathy but it's been a good example of why we love the weather. Think my post may last due to the time it is. 8)

• Like 2