Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion 17th Dec.2013-12z onwards.

phil nw.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Latest NAO update keeps it around neutral during the first couple of weeks of January

Posted Image

The latest AO update keeps it negative albeit with lots of scatter

Posted Image

Edited by Summer Sun

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

What an incredibly uninspiring winter this year! Can you just believe it, and at our latitude too.

Im afraid this is normal default weather really, although the storms have stepped up a gear this year to give us the stormiest December for a good many years. But if you have in the weather history books ,you will see there is nothing unusual about our weather at the moment. Plenty of time for Winter weather which normally arrives after Christmas rather than before.....Posted Image

• Like 5

Posted

Latest NAO update keeps it around natural during the first couple of weeks of January

I guess you mean neutral.

Horrible UKMO by the way!

Karyo

• Like 1

Posted

Im afraid this is normal default weather really, although the storms have stepped up a gear this year to give us the stormiest December for a good many years. But if you have in the weather history books ,you will see there is nothing unusual about our weather at the moment. Plenty of time for Winter weather which normally arrives after Christmas rather than before.....Posted Image

Yes, but normally we would get a northerly toppler or two even in the mildest of winters!

This winter we have a constant westerly/southwesterly.

Yes, but normally we would get a northerly toppler or two even in the mildest of winters!

UKMO is disappointing tonight.

I was hoping for better.

Certainly little sign of that rampant Atlantic slowing down,surely to God there must be no juice left in the tank!!

Edited by Cecil Hogmanay Melchett

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

More of the same from UKMO with wind and rain continuing next week, and with pressure building to our east  these lows will take longer to clear

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow! Exciting weather!

...........maybe this is the New even larger teapot, after the Old even larger teapot of the noughties and the Neo even larger teapot of the last few years? ;)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Worth IMO keeping eye on alternative methods, stormy new Year and chance of real cold blast/s in Jan have been the idea for some considerable time irrespective of poor strat reports.......all I say is give it a chance as confidence remains high...and models are only beginning to add to the confidence.  They haven't got it right yet as the pattern ahead is very volatile.

BFTP

I do prefer the scientific methods, Fred...Much better over the past years, IMO...

• Like 2

Posted

I do prefer the scientific methods, Fred...Much better over the past years, IMO...

I prefer to put my finger in my mouth and make a popping noise, it’s like the butterfly effect only with fingers, the pop goes around the world and hey presto an easterly turns up a week later. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow snow and snow

The story of the GFS 12z is rain rain rain and unrelenting rain for much of England at least and New  Years Day looks horrific!There's no obvious route to cold from it, but if it materialises, many will be too washed out to wish for anything other than a dry southerly/southwesterly flow for a few weeks after!. 

• Like 1

Posted

UKMO is disappointing tonight.

I was hoping for better.

Certainly little sign of that rampant Atlantic slowing down,surely to God there must be no juice left in the tank!!

Well, the tank is the cold stratosphere and it appears to be full! Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

I think we are on track for a gradually colder outlook with a higher risk of wintry ppn than we have seen so far this winter..which is not saying much I know, even this mediocre gfs 12z op run has cold weather with wintry ppn at times, very little in the way of mild weather. I think we are going to see the jet gradually digging further south with the jet axis tilting northwest / southeast with increasing trough disruption and colder incursions becoming more pronounced as time goes on, the week ahead again looks disturbed with gales and heavy rain with a risk of further flooding, next saturday looks cold, very cold in the north before the next vigorous low arrives, barely any breathing space between each atlantic low..no sign of anything settled whatsoever apart from brief flat ridging.

post-4783-0-23308800-1388252141_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-53056500-1388252175_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-20778400-1388252186_thumb.pn

Edited by Frosty.
  • Like 2

Posted

Is it me or are the Ens showing much more cold potential this run, at 276 anyway???

Actually think it's me.....I'm seeing things I think

Edited by Ali1977

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

The GEM is OK if you acknowledge that D1-10 will remain cyclonic:  post-14819-0-29569300-1388252099_thumb.p

A potential good profile for a colder flow. The GFS op was an outlier and by T240 much better NH profiles for the ensembles:

http://www.meteociel.fr/cartes_obs/gens_panel.php?modele=0&mode=6&ech=240

Again the control is sort of in the ball-park as to the most recent output, T240:

post-14819-0-75404500-1388252264_thumb.p  T300: post-14819-0-18422600-1388252542_thumb.p T360: post-14819-0-27623600-1388252744_thumb.p

Getting cooler then colder. It had less defined Polar heights than some of the ens, but was not sending the thrust of them to W.Canada, like the op.

Edited by i'm dreaming of...
  • Like 1

Posted

As part of the gradual pattern changing process we have unfolding, its worth keeping an eye on the Pacific ridge and its return to an Aleutian poleward position as we go through the opening 10 to 15 day period of January. For face value purposes the ECM shows it here at day 10 - although the timing is opening to question, even if the evolution of the eventual pattern on background evidence is looking increasingly feasible.

Posted Image

We can see clearly how the pattern is buckling and amplifying with the jet energy starting to show signs of splitting upstream with an Aleutian High/ US trough and also westward retrogressing Azores High in the making. As hinted at in some of the far FI ensemble data

This is all part and parcel of the change of jet stream axis from SW-NE to NW-SE that Chiono ilustrated as the precursor to the split energy to follow that will then in turn assist the retrogression of any Siberian High later in the month

As stated, its questionable of the timing of this sort of chart, but the ridge into the pole provides a further tropospheric wave activity element of attack on the vortex alongside a further (reasonably anticipated) Asian MT event later in January to lead to an increase of our chances of getting a more significantly cold pattern backed towards the UK from the east thereafter.

I am not convinced that the upper ridge has to be in the area you suggest Tamara. In none of the 500mb charts I have looked at in the past 20-30 minutes for December 2009, January 2010 or December 2010 was that the case. There was an upper trough in the eastern Pacific and an upper ridge over the western coast of North America.

hopefully see one example below=sorry will not allow it, I'll try again

~$0mb chart 1 jan 2010.doc

not sure if anyone will be able to see this?

As to how much effect this pattern then had downstream with another marked ridge showing in the Greenland/Iceland area I cannot remember without looking in detail at the huge data files I keep of anomaly charts. This in turn gave a cold flow north of west over the Uk and the subsequent continuation of wintry weather?

it looks as if it will not open up, sorry about that

Edited by johnholmes
  • Like 2

Posted

I am not convinced that the upper ridge has to be in the area you suggest Tamara. In none of the 500mb charts I have looked at in the past 20-30 minutes for December 2009, January 2010 or December 2010 was that the case. There was an upper trough in the eastern Pacific and an upper ridge over the western coast of North America.

hopefully see one example below=sorry will not allow it, I'll try again

Posted Image~$0mb chart 1 jan 2010.doc

not sure if anyone will be able to see this?

As to how much effect this pattern then had downstream with another marked ridge showing in the Greenland/Iceland area I cannot remember without looking in detail at the huge data files I keep of anomaly charts. This in turn gave a cold flow north of west over the Uk and the subsequent continuation of wintry weather?

it looks as if it will not open up, sorry about that

Is this what you are trying to show?

Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted

The models are driving me insane, easterly, no easterly. Now you see it, now you don't, northern blocking. Mild, then cold, wait it's mild again. Give it five days and then one model might start agreeing with another, instead of them having a constant, mass brawl. I need a lie down.Posted Image

I assume you are new to all this then? Trust me, the past few weeks are really nothing in terms of inconsistent model output. There has been no real strong signal yet to a direct route to cold. Yet. There are plenty of positives that simply weren't there 3 weeks ago however and it will be from this that the building blocks to a proper (not transient) cold spell will be built upon. Only once we get the first credible signal to real cold show up on the charts and start to edge closer will you see the forum rollercoaster in full on action. Not a place for the faint hearted!

• Like 5

Posted

As part of the gradual pattern changing process we have unfolding, its worth keeping an eye on the Pacific ridge and its return to an Aleutian poleward position as we go through the opening 10 to 15 day period of January. For face value purposes the ECM shows it here at day 10 - although the timing is opening to question, even if the evolution of the eventual pattern on background evidence is looking increasingly feasible.

Posted Image

We can see clearly how the pattern is buckling and amplifying with the jet energy starting to show signs of splitting upstream with an Aleutian High/ US trough and also westward retrogressing Azores High in the making. As hinted at in some of the far FI ensemble data

This is all part and parcel of the change of jet stream axis from SW-NE to NW-SE that Chiono ilustrated as the precursor to the split energy to follow that will then in turn assist the retrogression of any Siberian High later in the month

As stated, its questionable of the timing of this sort of chart, but the ridge into the pole provides a further tropospheric wave activity element of attack on the vortex alongside a further (reasonably anticipated) Asian MT event later in January to lead to an increase of our chances of getting a more significantly cold pattern backed towards the UK from the east thereafter.

Unless you have the amplification with an Aleutian ridge to push heights into the Arctic which would

probably have happened with a weaker vortex all it does is send Arctic outbreaks south across the

midwest and northeast America.

I would favor something more akin to what the 12z GFS control is showing following on from a

fairly strong Asian MT within the next week or two. The MT is predicted on the back of recent

tropical forcing although this could manifest itself in a stronger West coast American ridge or

Aleutian ridge.