Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East & East Anglia Regional Weather Discussion 16/01/14

Snowangel-MK

Posted

Surface to air missiles for those media drones? Posted Image

More likely all wood buildings with a strong wind, once one goes, the flames are fanned and there's no way of dealing with it.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny; chilly and sunny; thunderstorms; extreme

Surface to air missiles for those media drones? Posted Image

Really shocking about those drones. Media morons generally.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder Storms. All extreme weather.

Mornin each. It poured down in Ippy earlier but it's now bright, sunny and fresh with cloud.

Have a nice Sunday, all. :)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder Storms. All extreme weather.

I had to look up media drones. I'd never heard of them but how bl**dy irresponsible of them when lives and property are at risk. Just for the sake of a good picture etc.

• Like 3

Posted

getting  messy  in the  mod  thread  this  morning  i see

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

Nowegian news have just given an announcement, the fire is still not under control and now there are three hundred injured, I am guessing firefighters as well, just so sad about it.

If you do, let us know what you are cooking as I'm always looking for slow cooker meals, its so easy to cook that way.

I tend to mainly make turkey or chicken stew, slice the potatos and lay them across the bottom of the dish which I always just have a splash of water in first so they do not stick and these are the ones that need to really get the heat to cook, I tend to dice the meat and give it a quick 5 mins in a hot pan with a splash of oil/butter/marg, just enough to seal it before adding it, then put in the other veg (peas, carrots, a sliced onion, sometimes I use sliced leek instead), make up a thick gravy and add a small spoonfull of sage and onion stuffing for added flavour, this I stir in to make sure it gets all the way to the bottom.

Nothing grand, just simple.

I have also made a sausage cassarole this way which is quite nice, also spaggy bol using turkey mince or quorn mince, boiled up a nice gammon joint on a long slow cook so when done the meat just falls off, nice and tender.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow,thunder,tornados

what is up with the weaher,this time last year it was freezing with snow laying and falling,fast forward and im in shorts and t-shirt,beautiful day more akin to early spring not mid-winter,cmon mother nature give us some snow,please,pretty please

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.

Very sad and worrying situation re: the fire in Norway.Posted Image I've given-up persevering with the MOD thread - it's fine when two respected, objective members disagree as to the interpretation of a model output (though the fact that the disagreement was centred around the UKMO output for only 6 days hence shows the unpredictability of the situation), but there are too many there who are either inexperience yet think they're model-watching geniuses, or are just promoting their defeatist (zonal muck until 2050) mindsets.

• Like 4

Posted

I agree with chrisbell the MOD thread is a terrible place to be at the moment so many different points of view and so many people commenting with one liners that have not a lot to do with the weather models at all.  This thread is a welcome relief from the model watching and i must agree with others on here that JP does a sterling job of letting us in this neck of the woods know what is going on.  Keep it up JP.

And I personally am looking to dryer weather what ever it may be it will be lovely to have a break from the rain for a week or so.Posted Image

Edited by Snow Queen one
  • Like 7

Posted

Yes I too have all but stopped going to the MAD thread for now, few constructive posts being drowned in the bickering again.

Good news is next week looks much better, calmer and drier as well as being a bit cooler, may not be snow but it should feel more seasonal.

• Like 1

Yes that fire in Norway looked pretty bad and I just noticed the film being shown by the BBC on their web site has been shoot by a media drone, the very type that was stopping the helicopter from dropping waterPosted Image

I suppose that if we see cold weather anytime soon, everyone will be friends in the model thread for a couple of hours before the hunt for the breakdown starts. I wonder if the situation might be slightly improved by breaking it up into the short term (one to seven days) and then longer term (eight onwards), the first one being very similar to what JP reviews each night with the fax charts.  i find it very difficult to follow when people are looking so far in the future only to find that they have missed something that may give a weather event the next day.

Just my thoughts on an afternoon, when a year ago to the very day I was watching the snow falling and had to keep clearing the path.

• Like 5

Posted

Yes that fire in Norway looked pretty bad and I just noticed the film being shown by the BBC on their web site has been shoot by a media drone, the very type that was stopping the helicopter from dropping waterPosted Image

I stand corrected, I hadn't realised they were so invasive.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Afternoon all. Nice day.

The end of this week could see some interesting developments, well hopefully Posted Image

MAD thread - eurgh it doesn't seem to matter who says there is large uncertainty, even BBC forecasters or people who work for the met, if a chart says zonal at day 10 then it definitely will be according to some Posted Image Tried and failed to explain that it might not be the case but alas.

Edited by Captain shortwave
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.

Afternoon all. Nice day.

The end of this week could see some interesting developments, well hopefully Posted Image

MAD thread - eurgh it doesn't seem to matter who says there is large uncertainty, even BBC forecasters or people who work for the met, if a chart says zonal at day 10 then it definitely will be according to some Posted Image Tried and failed to explain that it might not be the case but alas.

I must say that your contributions are amongst the few better-quality ones on offer in the MOD thread - along with Tamara, John Holmes, the occasional contribution from JP and TEITS, plus Steve Murr, Nick Sussex, Ian Ferguson providing the Exeter viewpoint, and chionometric.Posted Image

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.

Afternoon all. Nice day.

Yes, it seems everything is up for grabs, weather-wise, after a few days time. Posted Image

Not sure I like the idea of a possible snow to rain event though. I generally don't like those at all. It's only that I can't be sure of having seen any wintry stuff yet, that makes it interesting for me (I might have seen sleety rain just after mid December)

I must say that your contributions are amongst the few better-quality ones on offer in the MOD thread - along with Tamara, John Holmes, the occasional contribution from JP and TEITS, plus Steve Murr, Nick Sussex, Ian Ferguson providing the Exeter viewpoint, and chionometric.Posted Image

To be fair, some of the Mods make high quality postings too (and Snowking and undoubtedly more). Posted Image

Edited by Steve C
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy, windy, cold.

Good afternoon brilliant people!! The flies or midges are on the rise here in the park, most odd in January! Very pleasant day, sunny and mild. Happy birds chirping away and we just heard the owl !!

Boyfriends birthday today, so heading to strand on the green pub in chiswick to have a look at the thames.

Have a great day all..

• Like 3

Posted

Good afternoon brilliant people!! The flies or midges are on the rise here in the park, most odd in January! Very pleasant day, sunny and mild. Happy birds chirping away and we just heard the owl !!

Boyfriends birthday today, so heading to strand on the green pub in chiswick to have a look at the thames.

Have a great day all..

Yes, I saw a spider catch a fly in a web in the garden, earlier today. Posted Image It struck me as being an unusual occurrence for the time of year.

• Like 1

Posted

Yes, it seems everything is up for grabs, weather-wise, after a few days time. Posted Image

Not sure I like the idea of a possible snow to rain event though. I generally don't like those at all. It's only that I can't be sure of having seen any wintry stuff yet, that makes it interesting for me (I might have seen sleety rain just after mid December)

To be fair, some of the Mods make high quality postings too (and Snowking and undoubtedly more). Posted Image

Yes indeed, Kris when he posts makes some often valid points and observations as do the others that worth following.  Think the problem lies more for new members etc where they come to learn and get advice, it takes a while to know who is the better posters to follow that say what they truly see rather than what they hope and want all the time.

• Like 5

Posted

I've just seen something funny there though.

The swear filter is changing 'm.odern winter' to 'even larger teapot'! which is making a members name really strange, when he's quoted! :lol:

• Like 6

Posted

The swear filter is changing 'm.odern winter' to 'even larger teapot'! which is making a members name really strange, when he's quoted! Posted Image

OK had to go and look Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted

Hi all,

Such a lovely day today. Out with the dogs to the flooded park, then came home and had to unblock the drain again. Yuk Posted Image

We really need some respite from this rain. Drier times ahead hopefully

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Cold.

Afternoon everyone.

Lovely day here also, was awoken to sun, and we still have the sun now. Off out now for a cheeky pint, and a family lunch.

• Like 4

The swear filter is changing 'm.odern winter' to 'even larger teapot'! which is making a members name really strange, when he's quoted! Posted Image

Just trying to work out why the term even larger teapot (m.odern winter) has been added to the swear filter, now doubt rain (s.now), damn already hasPosted Image

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Cold.

Just going to say even larger teapot and see what happens...

Just going to say even larger teapot and see what happens...

That's funny... Well spotted Steve LOL
  • Like 2

I see we have a load of fog warnings in place from the middle of the night until midday tomorrow, suppose that's one of the downsides of having the sun and so much moisture in the ground from the recent rain.

MKSA would usual post these

Bedford, Cambridgeshire, Central Bedfordshire, Hertfordshire, Luton, Norfolk, Peterborough, Suffolk

Issued at: 1303 on Sun 19 Jan 2014

Valid from: 0200 on Mon 20 Jan 2014

Valid to: 1200 on Mon 20 Jan 2014

Warning

Fog patches are expected to form overnight. These could be dense in places and persist well into Monday.The public should be aware of the potential for difficult driving conditions, especially during Monday morning.

Chief Forecaster's assessment

Clear skies on Sunday night will allow patchy fog to form. This is unlikely to affect all of the yellow area, and there is some uncertainty over how extensive fog will become. However, where it does form, visibility is likely to fall below 200 metres, leading to some difficult driving conditions.Fog is also likely to be slow to clear on Monday, and may locally persist all day, before becoming more extensive on Monday evening.
Edited by chris mantle
  • Like 4