Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East & East Anglia Regional Weather Discussion 16/01/14

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.

Apologies to Snowking - I knew I'd forget someone!Posted Image Obviously, the mods do post informative stuff, in addition to having the unenviable job of keeping order, but I was mainly thinking of the other regular posters.

• Like 2

Posted

I've probably made an idiot of myself in the MOD thread - that Welsh poster with the sheep avatar has jumped on a +240 hour GFS to show that zonality is returning.  How many times have experienced people said that the GFS out in FI wants to bring the Atlantic back?

• Like 4

Posted

Evening all :)

A nice day..practically unheard of lately! Up to 9c with lots of sunshine and now dipping down, currently 5.2c.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow and ice days

Much throwing of toys in the main thread.

You have to laugh, one poster (who shall remain nameless) threw the towel in on winter about 20 minutes ago and has since posted twice more to tell us again how rubbish it all is! As if we hadn't already got the message!

Some people could really do with finding another hobby.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms,Hot `n` sunny!

Tbh,that MAD thread needs a heavy does of moderating,some people are posting there just to "stir it up" and provoke reactions,be it now or during the summertime.

There`s defiantly some knowledgeable people in there,just a shame for a weather numpty like myself that they`re outnumbered!

.......And breathe! :D

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.

Yes, I've read the model thread in the last few minutes. :lol:

I do find the toy throwing bizarre (but secretly rather funny to watch. :lol: )

Let's see whether ECM changes some moods later too.

I wonder if, thoughts being that any cold spell has been slightly postponed, whether the Countryfile Forecast might change from the weekly one, issued on BBC1 this lunchtime? (only for my own sad interest :D )

• Like 2

Posted

Tbh,that MAD thread needs a heavy does of moderating,some people are posting there just to "stir it up" and provoke reactions,be it now or during the summertime.

There`s defiantly some knowledgeable people in there,just a shame for a weather numpty like myself that they`re outnumbered!

.......And breathe! Posted Image

If I'm guessing correctly, said person has just said that only an idiot would put everything on the +240h GFS (which is near-as-dammit what he was doing a few minutes ago), but that all the evidence points to zonality.  He has also shown the nerve to wait until John Holmes goes away on holiday to quote his advice on following the anomaly charts when (IIRC) John told him in as many words a few days ago that he wasn't interpreting them correctly.Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted

If I'm guessing correctly, said person has just said that only an idiot would put everything on the +240h GFS (which is near-as-dammit what he was doing a few minutes ago), but that all the evidence points to zonality.  He has also shown the nerve to wait until John Holmes goes away on holiday to quote his advice on following the anomaly charts when (IIRC) John told him in as many words a few days ago that he wasn't interpreting them correctly.Posted ImagePosted Image

Is it going to turn into a mass fight?

Is it worth me taking some barley sugar and a large coke over there and watching it?

• Like 2

Posted

Is it going to turn into a mass fight?

Is it worth me taking some barley sugar and a large coke over there and watching it?

Seems to be heading that way, Jenny.  How's southernman doing?

Edited by chrisbell-nottheforecaster

Posted

Hahahahaha

Hi all i see the zonal thread

Sorry mad thread is in full agreement again :-(

The ukmo at 120 00z was really good for the south east

The 12z just keeps us in colder uppers

I reckon ecm might be good tonight

Back soon after dinner

John

• Like 5

It's funny when you think back some thirty plus years ago when  there was no internet and no forums only the BBC weather with a more detailed view on Radio 4 what did everyone do.  The only clue to the coming five days weather  was the weather forecast for farmers and I remember sitting there at Sunday lunchtime with fingers crossed they would mention snow only to be disappointed and other times it was opening the curtain to see a winter wonderland.

The ability to see the GFS roll out four times a day is a wonderful thing however the amount of stress it gives out should be covered by a Government health warning as I am sure the number of weather buffs going to the doctors must be having a massive strain on the national heath service.

Well in terms of winter it looks cold tonight with my temperature here already down to 3.1c at 5.30pm which really is normal winter weather for this part of the world.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms,Hot `n` sunny!

Wasn`t referring to anyone in general, i just go in there to be blinded by science,but end up being baffled by ********. Shame really.

• Like 2

Posted

Hi chris

Im ok

That was in response to bjaykent

It would certainly give a few people a kick up the you-know-what!Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.

It would certainly give a few people a kick up the you-know-what!Posted Image

But sod's law, he'd be banned! :lol:

• Like 2

Posted

Not a dig at the MO as a whole as I think they work very well providing forecasts and warnings to (a difficult) public but I do have a small gripe with the local 5 day forecast temperatures.

At the moment they are forecasting the lowest temperature here (Folkestone Harbour so basically seafront in their eyes) to be no lower than 5c overnight. However, it is currently 4.3c and dropping. Now I know there's always going to be a margin of error but when it is forecast cold they always indicate a low that is warmer than I actually record.

Is this unique to me due to my locale, or is it a general trend elsewhere too?

Posted

Seems to be heading that way, Jenny.  How's southernman doing?

Thanks for asking, he is less tired today and is otherwise back to normal which is how these minor TIA things turn out, the risk is that they are often a warning of something not very good going on in the body.So I am watching him very carefully, and he has his scan and clinic for it on Tuesday.

• Like 1

Posted

Thanks for asking, he is less tired today and is otherwise back to normal which is how these minor TIA things turn out, the risk is that they are often a warning of something not very good going on in the body.So I am watching him very carefully, and he has his scan and clinic for it on Tuesday.

Glad to hear he's going to be checked thoroughly.

Posted

I'm sure I'm not alone in enjoying our regional thread here. It would be a shame if the MOD one arrived here by proxy. If you wouldn't mind, gents....

• Like 3

Posted

It's funny when you think back some thirty plus years ago when  there was no internet and no forums only the BBC weather

And they had a sort of very green fuzzy felt map and they would stick these cartoonish symbols to it, like a huge cloud with blobs of hail coming out of it.And it was nowhere near accurate, the bloke would say "snow across Brighton" and then go and stick the snow symbol so it was across half of somewhere else instead.

Edited by JennyJane1
  • Like 3

Posted

Glad to hear he's going to be checked thoroughly.

I am as well, he's a bit worried because he's been told he can't drive for a few days as the risk is that he might have another one or worse, and he is due to be driving down South at the weekend to see his children.He could take a train but it takes about ten hours from here and with lots of changes and going right across London so it isn't very easy.

Posted

I am as well, he's a bit worried because he's been told he can't drive for a few days as the risk is that he might have another one or worse, and he is due to be driving down South at the weekend to see his children.He could take a train but it takes about ten hours from here and with lots of changes and going right across London so it isn't very easy.

Best wishes to both of you.