Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East England/East Anglia Regional Weather Discussion 07/02/14

Snowangel-MK

Posted

*cough*

If you're blessing this hallowed thread with poetic musings tonight, please could you at least pop your current weather conditions in? Posted Image xx

Ok, if I must

I'm in a right state

It's raining in Reigate

But please, all, don't worry

Who cares about Surrey?

• Like 9

Posted

Could be, I sometimes get a headache when a storm arrives, although its calm here for the moment.But I think tere's another six hours before it gets here.

must be a permanent storm here in my area then... according to she who must be disobeyed :lol:

• Like 2

Posted

That low centre looks further north than I'd thought it would be... is that windier for us in EA (NIMBY) or less windy?

hi iceni

looks about right

will tilt and drop further south through tomorrow

winds getting worse later tomorrow and overnight saturday

then low weakens as it slowly moves north

that is when the isobars late saturday night-sunday morning will open and reduce the wind strength

Edited by john pike
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

So the black is off the scale and stronger than 150kph?  Also what exactly do the storm motion charts mean as they are often different to the wind charts?

No the black refers to swell or wave height. Black = very high waves over 30 ft.

The notched arrows are the wind speed. I've got a chart somewhere showing how many notches means what sort of wind speed.... there you go... in knots, mph is higher

Posted Image

John: "will tilt and drop further south through tomorrow..."

Oh dear. I thought it would just keep heading NE...

Edited by Iceni
  • Like 2

Posted

Nate needs to protect his gate. Mike needs to take care of his bike. Len needs to batter down hatches for his hens.

In other news; Charlwood is getting an increasingly strong breeze with the odd stronger gust. Precipitation is light but continuous.

Spent 20 minutes this evening in the garden shoring up the garden fence which is starting to lean a lot in a couple of places. Also I have been propping up the garden gate that ihas already come off of one hinge and we now have 3 large branches propping it up one side as well as a zinc bath full off water plus a paving slab, and the other side has 3 very large plant pots in front of it. So I am hoping it stays on the one remaining hinge and doesn't do a Mary Poppins and go sailing across the neighbours houses!

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

No the black refers to swell or wave height. The notched arrows are the wind speed. I've got a chart somewhere showing how many notches means what sort of wind speed.... there you go... in knots, mph is higher

Posted Image

Ok thanks.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny; chilly and sunny; thunderstorms; extreme

Spent 20 minutes this evening in the garden shoring up the garden fence which is starting to lean a lot in a couple of places. Also I have been propping up the garden gate that ihas already come off of one hinge and we now have 3 large branches propping it up one side as well as a zinc bath full off water plus a paving slab, and the other side has 3 very large plant pots in front of it. So I am hoping it stays on the one remaining hinge and doesn't do a Mary Poppins and go sailing across the neighbours houses!

A builder friend of mine is putting up loads of concrete fence posts and new panels, good luck to him - he does a good job too,

• Like 1

Posted

That low centre looks further north than I'd thought it would be... is that windier for us in EA (NIMBY) or less windy?

its pretty much on track, the winds come from the wrap around so as expected wind wise

Posted

Posted Image

hi iceni

from there it looks to head slightly east then north east

thats should be as far south as it should go

sorry probably worded my last post slightly wrong

• Like 1

Posted

A builder friend of mine is putting up loads of concrete fence posts and new panels, good luck to him - he does a good job too,

Very hard to get new fence panels down here, a waiting list I think!

And no point putting in the concrete posts here until the ground dries up. Our Fence is leaning because the ground is so wet now that the concrete posts are rocking in the squidgy earth!

Still I give thanks we are safe from flooding, that is the worst nightmare for people.

Edited by coldfingers

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Sun, Deep Snow, Convective Goodness, Anvil Crawlers

Woah, I didn't say ANYTHING frostily.... Honestly, have you seen my Mod thread telling offs?!

I just don't want to be In a position where I have to move a post into the lounge and it upsets the flow of conversation... I just ask for a little teeny bit of weather in there, that's all! :) x

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Posted Image

hi iceni

from there it looks to head slightly east then north east

thats should be as far south as it should go

sorry probably worded my last post slightly wrong

OK John - gotcha.

I'm worried about my car which my husband is taking into Cambridge for a college lunch tomorrow... the Trinity College car park on the Backs has some rather large trees and I'm worried that one of them will come down on it while he's quaffing wine and tucking into his lunch.

PS About the fencing, plant a hedge instead. Much better at filtering wind, lasts forever, better for wildlife, only needs one trim a year (none at all for the first 2 years) and it's grown up in no time if you pick the right sort of hedging. We find Hornbeam does very well in EA - better than beech and a lot quicker.

A couple of bundles of bare-root hedging costs peanuts. dig a trench or just drive the spade in to slit the soil, stick in hedging.

For example we planted a bare root hornbeam hedge around our veg and fruit gardens about 5 years ago — one section around the fruit cage is 8 ft high now - it's keeping the wind out and creates a warm micro climate for the fruit.

You couldn't have better conditions for getting a hedge established than right now. The soil is nice and well watered so the roots will get going and there hasn't been proper cold to lower its temperature - in an ordinary year it's best to plant in early November, late October.

I simply don't understand why people struggle with panel fencing.

Edited by Iceni
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers and cold snowy winters

In Tunbridge Wells it isn't raining - what a pity

So am I breaking the rules if I post this ditty?

I'm expecting a storm but I don't want to boast

Don't want to annoy a Netweather Forum host

Just for now I'm going to take my time

Don't want to commit another weather crime...

(Would like to point out that I have never been told off in any way by any Forum hosts who are all lovely people!)

Edited by kate1
  • Like 8

Posted

OK John - gotcha.

I'm worried about my car which my husband is taking into Cambridge for a college lunch tomorrow... the Trinity College car park on the Backs has some rather large trees and I'm worried that one of them will come down on it while he's quaffing wine and tucking into his lunch.

PS About the fencing, plant a hedge instead. Much better at filtering wind, lasts forever, only needs one trim a year (none at all for the first 2 years) and it's grown up in no time if you pick the right sort of hedging plants. We find Hornbeam does very well in EA better than beech and a lot quicker.

Hi Iceni, problem is a hedge will just let my terrible terrier right through it. Otherwise I totally agree with you! I think a hedge and a fence is an option. Sadly i have a mutt that thinks he is the only canine that should be allowed to roam this earth!! He is also such a stupid mutt that he will go out in any weather including torrential rain and even enjoys watching fireworks! A true devil dog! LOL. He was a rescued stray and it has taken us 2 years to tame him but the best thing is he loves stormy weather as much as I do.

And just to pacify the mods,..... Posted Image   the wind here is getting much gustier  and we are now getting light rain.

http://www.chimet.co.uk/%28S%28okivqw45kv2vrcbovlbq2o45%29%29/wind.aspx

Edited by coldfingers

Posted

Some big gusts starting now, whistling down the chimney.

I'll need to renew our fence soon, but there's 35m each side... so a bit costly. Ours hasn't fallen down yet because its a 'hit and miss' type. Its just rotten.

Posted

I'm hoping the impending gale

Doesn't wash up a big whale

It's not that windy here in Folkestone

But tomorrow things will get in motion

I'll go to watch the big waves crashing

While around me the rain is lashing

My awful contribution to the weather ditties!

Not a bad day here, up to 9c with some sunshine...shame it isn't going to be repeated tomorrow when we can actually enjoy it!

• Like 7

Posted

There was a young lady from Ealing

Who had a peculiar feeling

She made an inspection

and saw my

gosh its started raining

Edited by fluid dynamic
  • Like 6

Posted

I'm hoping the impending galeDoesn't wash up a big whaleIt's not that windy here in FolkestoneBut tomorrow things will get in motionI'll go to watch the big waves crashingWhile around me the rain is lashingMy awful contribution to the weather ditties!Not a bad day here, up to 9c with some sunshine...shame it isn't going to be repeated tomorrow when we can actually enjoy it!

Hello Lottie, another SACRA member I see. You must be as sick of the rain with no snow as I am. I have daffodils, crocus, and even azaleas and still some of last years flowers still blooming in the garden. Crazy weather. Not winter, just a very long autumn!