Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West England Regional Weather Discussion 12/02/14 19z----->

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

Well the last official day of winter may well produce some of the white stuff for some locations

nothing to get excited about but some locations might well see some of the white stuff

models still strugling with the exact track of the LP system but on the northern edge of the LP

Sleet/wet snow certainly a possibilty with the 528 line south of the region 

C.S

Edited by cheshire snow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

Is the media bias towards  southerners? There seems to be a lot of disgruntled people out there regarding the recent flooding who think that it only became headline news once the Thames was affected. Here is an extract from the views of weatherweb tv's Simon Keeling, 'The Somerset levels were getting coverage of sorts, and the damage wrought on Abersytwyth, Borth, Barmouth and other west Wales towns had got a few shots on screen. But when the floods reached the Thames, it was 'game-on'. My non southern friends agree with him 100 percent and say that the government only started acting once the south east was affected. This is creating more divides between north and south. It's the media and government's faults and I agree that they have a bias towards the south.

London weather by the way......if any one caresPosted Image  13.7c winds windy, south westerly, sunny, pressure all over the place. Becoming generally awful later as always.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms

Loondon is not that bad. Go off the tourist trail and its nice 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

Yellow Warning of Snow for North West England:

Cheshire East, Cheshire West and Chester, Greater Manchester, Lancashire, Cumbria

Rain will turn to snow for a time, mainly over the high ground during Friday morning. Over low ground it is unlikely that any snow will accumulate but many areas may see falling snow and slushy deposits for a time.

The public are advised to be aware of the potential for some disruption to travel especially during Friday morning rush hour.

Issued at:

1337 on Wed 26 Feb 2014

Valid from:

0005 on Fri 28 Feb 2014

Valid to:

1200 on Fri 28 Feb 2014

An area of low pressure is expected to move eastwards on Friday. There is considerable uncertainty in its track and therefore on the risk and location of any snow.

This warning will be kept under review and the public are advised to keep up to date with the forecast and warnings.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings/#?regionName=uk&from=rss&sn=149045DF-0ADA-2113-5AF7-6E562338A28A_1_SE&tab=warnings&map=Warnings&zoom=5&lon=-3.50&lat=55.50&fcTime=1393545600

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

I'm certainly not expecting anything from this as we've been here with an almost identical warning area on several occasions already this winter and have yet to see anything other than a few minutes of sleet from any of them.

Maybe our luck will change this time around but as it stands I think that clearing leaves will be the only work that my snow shovel will have done since last April.

• Like 1

Posted

The reality of it is that snake and woodhead passes may be closed due to icy conditions, sleety snow with transient dusting in heavier showers at the most..... Maybe some frosts... Yet to gain anything meaningful from when warnings are issued.... We shall see....

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

The reality of it is that snake and woodhead passes may be closed due to icy conditions, sleety snow with transient dusting in heavier showers at the most..... Maybe some frosts... Yet to gain anything meaningful from when warnings are issued.... We shall see....

Yes higher level routes will probably be effected but, as it stands only a tiny percentage of the population will be walking through snow on the door step.Even the Met O warning seems bordering on apologetic as if they have no confidence it it actually coming off but feel obliged to tell us anyway.
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, very hot weather, floods, storms

I just watched the BBC weather and I was shocked to see a warning for snow. I thought Winter is over. I'm back for the interesting next few days at least. Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy weather

Looks like Merseyside misses it. Boooooo

Posted

Regarding snow prospects - much will depend on the intensity of precipitation, there will be cold air aloft sub 528 dam air and under heavy precipitation wet snow could fall down to relatively low levels, but if the precipitation is light then snow will be reserved for higher ground only.

The events of the 31st January this year showed the power of evaporative cooling in this neck of the woods. Thanks to a period of heavy precipitation the air underwent rapid cooling as it rose above the Lakeland western fells and we ended up with a slushy 2cm cover, yet places not too far away saw cold rain thanks to the precipitation being lighter and elevation lower.

So the BBC are right to put up a yellow warning, especially given the front will be arriving during the coldest part of the day i.e. early hours of Friday. I suspect if it takes the path currently forecasted and if the precipitation is heavy then many places with modest height in and around the Pennines/peak district will likely see at least some wet snow falling from the sky with a possible covering where it is heaviest.

However, there is great uncertainty just where the front will position itself and how heavy and long lasting the precipitation will be.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any extreme weather conditions

Overcast breezy and dry, 7.2c, 55% humidity, 1006hpa,and steady.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow,snow!! Ooh and sunny,warm days!!!

Looks like Merseyside misses it. Boooooo

Same here, i saw the warnings hours ago and its not even in the west unless in scotland, was showing right across yorkshire and up.
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow,snow!! Ooh and sunny,warm days!!!

Sorry not scotland,from cumbria down the central belt and out into wales and back inland and down.totally misses us, so no idea why the write ups suggesting north west for?

Posted

Same here, i saw the warnings hours ago and its not even in the west unless in scotland, was showing right across yorkshire and up.

Wet snow risk across high ground ie Pennines North Yorkshire etc

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

Well surprise,surprise the GFS shows the PPN tonight not even reaching the region,on the other hand the met 

office shows PPN reaching the region as i said yesterday IF the PPN reaches our region away from high ground

a slushy mess is about the best for low ground.

all not lost though we more wintry ppn showing Through Saturday-Monday.

To sum up a very messy picture to were snow may or not fall

C.S

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, very hot weather, floods, storms

Well surprise,surprise the GFS shows the PPN tonight not even reaching the region,on the other hand the met 

office shows PPN reaching the region as i said yesterday IF the PPN reaches our region away from high ground

a slushy mess is about the best for low ground.

all not lost though we more wintry ppn showing Through Saturday-Monday.

To sum up a very messy picture to were snow may or not fall

C.S

That is not surprised me one bit. I just expected it to shifted south. Its mainly rain anyway.

Edited by pip22

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms

BBC saying snow reaches the midlands and thats it. Story of this winter really

Edited by paul m
  • Like 2

Posted

I wasn't expecting anything out of this set up so I'm not disappointed, I've got my spring head on now

Posted

don't be a misery, at least it's dry and sunny today

• Like 1