Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland & The Far North Of England Regional Weather Chat

A.J

Posted

27.2c.... Not much to goI do feel for you Hawesy and NR.

It's swings and roundabouts. Over the course of an average year I live in the sunniest part of Scotland, which I really appreciate. But typically high pressure in summer, particularly slap bang overhead or to the north or east will bring haar or a cooling sea breeze while 90% of Scotland is toasty. Best position for us in summer is high pressure to the south with a swly or westerly drift - like what happened for a a few days last July with 29c recorded at Leuchars.I try to be philosophical about it but if it's still like this tomorrow afternoon I may get a bit grumpy! ;-)Hope you hit the magical 30c!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

Praise the Lord, the sun's finally out!  :shok:

Posted

Praise the Lord, the sun's finally out!  :shok:

Good stuff! No such luck here, no sign of the sun. Never mind there is always tomorrow!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter and dry and very warm in summer

It's swings and roundabouts. Over the course of an average year I live in the sunniest part of Scotland, which I really appreciate. But typically high pressure in summer, particularly slap bang overhead or to the north or east will bring haar or a cooling sea breeze while 90% of Scotland is toasty. Best position for us in summer is high pressure to the south with a swly or westerly drift - like what happened for a a few days last July with 29c recorded at Leuchars.I try to be philosophical about it but if it's still like this tomorrow afternoon I may get a bit grumpy! ;-)Hope you hit the magical 30c!

Hit 30.8c!!!Then a cloud came when we could have squeezed a little more out at about 4:10. Anyway, it's been a great day and depute my earlier post it hasn't felt that humid. A fairly continental feel...Yeah, that's true. I live in one of the warmest spots. As a consequence it's usually quite wet here. Humid and wet is a frequent occurrence in most summers bar this one so far. I love a UK high or one to the East. On the other hand, a stonking easterly will be great for you (unless you are right on the coast) whereas very cold and dry would sum my conditions up with only a rogue snow shower.Swings and roundabouts as you say :) Edited by SW Saltire

Posted

Hit 30.8c!!!

Then a cloud came when we could have squeezed a little more out at about 4:10. Anyway, it's been a great day and depute my earlier post it hasn't felt that humid. A fairly continental feel...

Yeah, that's true. I live in one of the warmest spots. As a consequence it's usually quite wet here. Humid and wet is a frequent occurrence in most summers bar this one so far. I love a UK high or one to the East.

On the other hand, a stonking easterly will be great for you (unless you are right on the coast) whereas very cold and dry would sum my conditions up with only a rogue snow shower.

Swings and roundabouts as you say :)

Scorcio!

But the rain at your location is likely because there's little to stop rain coming in from the west - this summer has seen little in the way of zonal conditions, so it's been a dry one. With regards to average warmth, most of lowland Scotland sees very similar temperatures away from the hills alongside a few sheltered locations in the Highlands. Variations happen largely due to particular conditions at any given moment. 

Posted Image

So generally yourself and Hawsey will see similar temperatures throughout an average summer, but west has certainly been best during this recent spell. 

Winter is another issue - generally, the further north, inland and upland you are, the more snow you'll see, hence the higher totals in the Highlands. Good (pwoper!) easterlies are relatively rare in Scotland, with snow normally coming in from the north. 

Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted

Thanks for those charts NR.

There isn't much 'lowland' in Scotland haha.

That's why we struggle for snow:

'Further north' - Nope, almost at the border

'Inland' - not really, 15 miles from Southern coast.

Upland - nope, 15m asl

Best scenario is a stalling front - March 2013.

Miles from both the North and the East so never great.

I normally record cold minima but that's it really, snow is a great sight as it's never usually plentiful and/or it's on a north-westerly with marginal uppers with results in sleet/hill snow

Posted

Thanks for those charts NR.

There isn't much 'lowland' in Scotland haha.

That's why we struggle for snow:

'Further north' - Nope, almost at the border

'Inland' - not really, 15 miles from Southern coast.

Upland - nope, 15m asl

Best scenario is a stalling front - March 2013.

Miles from both the North and the East so never great.

I normally record cold minima but that's it really, snow is a great sight as it's never usually plentiful and/or it's on a north-westerly with marginal uppers with results in sleet/hill snow

Haha, I more meant Lowland in the sense of the below image, but you're quite right, even our lowlands are fairly hilly as my Dutch friend recently pointed out! 

Posted Image

Edited by NorthernRab

Posted

Haha, I more meant Lowland in the sense of the below image, but you're quite right, even our lowlands are fairly hilly as my Dutch friend recently pointed out! 

[img=http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/a6/Highlands_lowlands.png

Oh, got you now!

Posted

Do love a easterley in summer especially when it's nights like this it drags in the mist and low cloud (which has eroded again) What an absolutely fantastic spell this is

• Like 1

Posted

The evenings are the best thing about a warm spell. Being outside at 8-9pm and it being around 25c still with the sun setting. Just perfect conditions.

Love that aspect of being abroad, especially when the sun sets earlier. More lively warm evening to enjoy...

Posted

Much better here this morning, mist has cleared already, blue skies and no wind, 18'C.

Posted

Sun just breaking through now. Still got the breeze though which made it feel considerably better yesterday. Not so stifling as tuesday was

Posted

Replica of yesterday. Currently 21.6c. Yesterday was at 22.8 an hour from now so we will see if today is warmer. I'd say it's odds on to do so. Hopefully beating 31c

Posted

20'C here now, over 23'C at Altnaharra and Aviemore already, toasty!

Posted

20'C here now, over 23'C at Altnaharra and Aviemore already, toasty!

I noticed it said Glasgow was at 22c half an hour ago.In the Welsh thread a few are reporting 25ish temps again. Pretty warmPeople came 10 mins ago to drop something off and they commented on the heat here. Saying how there is very little breeze and that it's a 'sun trap'. So probably hence why I record temperatures a couple degrees higher than more exposed areas...

Posted

I noticed it said Glasgow was at 22c half an hour ago.In the Welsh thread a few are reporting 25ish temps again. Pretty warmPeople came 10 mins ago to drop something off and they commented on the heat here. Saying how there is very little breeze and that it's a 'sun trap'. So probably hence why I record temperatures a couple degrees higher than more exposed areas...

Yep it's a bit breezier down on the south coast (mid teen mph at Dundrennan) so anywhere inland down there will see less in the way of wind, but very little across most of Scotland today. 2mph wind variable here, 22'C now so certainly a fine day. 

I'm away to Loch An Eilean today where it's reporting 25'C already so a great day for a BBQ and some beers on the shores!

Posted

Yep it's a bit breezier down on the south coast (mid teen mph at Dundrennan) so anywhere inland down there will see less in the way of wind, but very little across most of Scotland today. 2mph wind variable here, 22'C now so certainly a fine day.  I'm away to Loch An Eilean today where it's reporting 25'C already so a great day for a BBQ and some beers on the shores!

Currently, 23.2c so up 0.4c on yesterday at this time.The coasts would be a nice place to be on weather like this.Sounds great! Have fun.I'd normally be doing stuff like that but the boys are only just back from Kavos so I doubt they'd be feeling upto it ;)

Posted

Still no sun here I'm afraid. Getting slightly fed up especially as it's sunny in St Andrews!

Cloudy, 16c.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: bright & frosty/snowy; summer: hot and sunny.

Another cracking day here and already up to 21.9C, so shaping up to be the warmest day of the week so far.

Other than the odd blip (and that's helped the plants), it really has been a cracking July so far, following on from a very good June.

Rinse and repeat for August please.

Edited by Polar Gael
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Still no sun here I'm afraid. Getting slightly fed up especially as it's sunny in St Andrews!Cloudy, 16c.

The sun came through quite quickly here this morning allowing the temperatures to rise way above yesterday's max already. 24C with a pleasant breeze. :good:

Posted

On my way to Loch An Eilein very shortly, currently 24.7'C here and over 26'C at Aviemore so looking like a nice drive down towards Badenoch.

Posted

27.3c great sunshine today, like yesterday and like tomorrow :)

Pretty much the same as yesterday temp wise...

Edited by SW Saltire

Posted

Car thermometer is saying 30.2'C at Loch Gamhna, roasting!