Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion 31/05/14 onwards.

Posted

You hardly ever see those sort of charts come to fruition in Winter let alone in Summer.

This morning is all change again anyway.

Posted Image

Classic "return of the westerlies" chart I would say. Decent weather holding on to the south, especially SW, whilst Scotland and N Engalnd and NI have rain bands and showers to contend with, with a fresh breeze.  Whether the Azores high would nose in from there is open to conjecture, but then the premise of that conjecture (ie the model prediction) is educated conjecture anyway!

It doesn't surprise me that the models would toy with such a scenario which is hinted at in the Meto long range, but that doesn't make it right and at this range it is highly likely to be wrong, especially as it's the GFS which is poor in low res.

• Like 2

Posted

Now looking at ECM ops for Glastonbury. Grim.

The 500mb anomaly completely loses the ridge to the west and has the cold Scandinavian air stretching to Greenland and influencing most of the UK under an unstable westerly flow with the cold pool still west of Spain.

Not good news for the surface analysis. Thursday not too bad with a shallow low west of Ireland and dry in the UK. But by Friday the low has developed and is 992mb over northern Scotland giving a strong NW in southern parts with frontal activity, Saturday the low 988mb is west of Norway and the AZ high is centred west of Spain pushing NE. This leaves the UK in a strong NW with again fronts affecting the south. Still there so much fluidity in the set up at the moment I'm sure this will change, probably by this PM.

post-12275-0-85313100-1403078466_thumb.p

post-12275-0-42971000-1403078475_thumb.p

post-12275-0-22054900-1403078483_thumb.p

post-12275-0-31691700-1403078495_thumb.p

post-12275-0-17762400-1403078502_thumb.p

post-12275-0-60932800-1403078508_thumb.p

Edited by knocker
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

UKMO remains settled this morning with variable cloud and pleasant temperatures

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

The deep low for the time of year over the Glastonbury weekend doesn't have ensemble support from ECM thankfully

Op

Posted ImagePosted Image

ens

Posted ImagePosted Image

Edited by Summer Sun
  • Like 1

Posted

As many in here thought would happen ... the latest attempt at bringing in a Scandi trough looks set to be another fail, with dry, settled weather continuing into next week:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

• Like 4

Posted

As SS rightly says the ECM ens isn't as bullish as the ops. The upper air still has a weak ridge just to the west of the UK and the cold Scandinavian air further east The result it doesn't develop the low. Although I'm not sure I'd have too much confidence in this either.

post-12275-0-47662900-1403082328_thumb.p

post-12275-0-04144600-1403082335_thumb.p

post-12275-0-99185600-1403082341_thumb.p

post-12275-0-43854400-1403082349_thumb.p

post-12275-0-78533100-1403082356_thumb.p

Edited by knocker

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

Classic "return of the westerlies" chart I would say. Decent weather holding on to the south, especially SW, whilst Scotland and N Engalnd and NI have rain bands and showers to contend with, with a fresh breeze.  Whether the Azores high would nose in from there is open to conjecture, but then the premise of that conjecture (ie the model prediction) is educated conjecture anyway!

It doesn't surprise me that the models would toy with such a scenario which is hinted at in the Meto long range, but that doesn't make it right and at this range it is highly likely to be wrong, especially as it's the GFS which is poor in low res.

Plenty of fine settled warm weather away from Northern Scotland & East coast of England to enjoy before then.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by SteveB
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

The 06z demonstrates that the GFS (and possibly models in general) are really struggling with the generally pattern within 3 days from now, which is quite amazing really. The 06z shoves things back west again for the weekend, allowing a slack northerly influence to return, compared to the few previous runs that were suggesting more of an influence from the Azores ridge. Interesting the models cannot get a grip on the pattern, at a time, when this pattern would normally be set and nailed at this point.

Edited by SP1986

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

No real consensus this morning. GFS and GEM do their best to hang onto the high, Euro goes for Autumn.

Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted

Re, Glastonbury GFS 06z. All change.

Dropping the low west of Ireland and for the Thursday, Friday Saturday has HP SW of Ireland giving a dry, tranquil three days. The only wet area is Scotland as a low skirts around north of there.

Posted

GFS 6z has the UK placed on the edge of the UK High northerly battle with neither winning out.

The further south you are the warmer the conditions, below is an example of what you could expect over the next few day's

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by SteveB

Noticed Meteociel have the new FIM model now which is expected to replace the GFS

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/fime_cartes.php

These charts present the data model American FIM (Flow-following finite-volume Icosahedral Model), which is probably the successor of GFS. The runs of 0z and 12z go to 240h. The maps are updated from 7am to run for 19h 00Z and 12Z of the run, they have a resolution of 0.5 °. Warning: updates the runs are long enough as it is experimental model

Posted

Noticed Meteociel have the new FIM model now which is expected to replace the GFS

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/fime_cartes.php

These charts present the data model American FIM (Flow-following finite-volume Icosahedral Model), which is probably the successor of GFS. The runs of 0z and 12z go to 240h. The maps are updated from 7am to run for 19h 00Z and 12Z of the run, they have a resolution of 0.5 °. Warning: updates the runs are long enough as it is experimental model

not as far as i know it isnt. its an experimental product and unless it gives better results than the upgraded gfs later this year, i think it is unlikely to survive, PRHW14 is the upgraded GFS model due to go live in the autumn (running in paralell at the moment).  no idea where the charts can be viewed.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.

oh dear

post-2797-0-52735800-1403097337_thumb.gi

just what we didnt want to see.... total disagreement.just as we are approaching the pivotal part of summer, the outlook has two distinct but different options. ok, i guess the truth will lie somewhere in between... whilst the gfs gives hope of dry warm sunny weather, the ecm goes for a more mobile, unsettled westerly. if that establishes i wouldnt place much hope on anything sustained and settled for july, the hight of summer.the ops however appear to me to paint a rather 'normal' picture, not too wet, but no lasting heatwave, looking to me like summer 14 will be remembered for being more average then one given to extreme rain or heat.

Posted

not as far as i know it isnt. its an experimental product and unless it gives better results than the upgraded gfs later this year, i think it is unlikely to survive, PRHW14 is the upgraded GFS model due to go live in the autumn (running in paralell at the moment).  no idea where the charts can be viewed.

More details here -

http://www.emc.ncep.noaa.gov/gmb/wd20rt/vsdb/prhw14/index.html

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:C9oec36sFlEJ:ftp.emc.ncep.noaa.gov/exper/nova/CCS-science-Qtrly/7-Derber-GFS.pptx+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=uk

Score card screen shot.

Posted Image

and here

• Like 1

Posted

oh dear

Posted Imagetest8.gif

just what we didnt want to see.... total disagreement.

just as we are approaching the pivotal part of summer, the outlook has two distinct but different options. ok, i guess the truth will lie somewhere in between... whilst the gfs gives hope of dry warm sunny weather, the ecm goes for a more mobile, unsettled westerly. if that establishes i wouldnt place much hope on anything sustained and settled for july, the hight of summer.

the ops however appear to me to paint a rather 'normal' picture, not too wet, but no lasting heatwave, looking to me like summer 14 will be remembered for being more average then one given to extreme rain or heat.

come on mushy, stop being a pessimist, sure if it is correct, ECM, then about 10 days does not look very summery but to suggest it covers the whole of July is a step too far in my view. No please don't tell me if it happens it sets things up, nowt of the sort. It does not look good for the time scale. Go back and look at the issues over the past week to see that. Good guidance for the period it is for-not a lot more, and not even that, as you rightly point out, with no agreement between the two, take a look at the NOAA outputs r my burblings most days.

Edited by johnholmes
  • Like 7

Posted

come on mushy, stop being a pessimist, sure if it is correct, ECM, then about 10 days does not look very summery but to suggest it covers the whole of July is a step too far in my view. No please don't tell me if it happens it sets things up, nowt of the sort. It does not look good for the time scale. Go back and look at the issues over the past week to see that. Good guidance for the period it is for-not a lot more, and not even that, as you rightly point out, with no agreement between the two, take a look at the NOAA outputs r my burblings most days.

pessimist or optimist john?... if the gfs version varifies it will be very pleasant.

i dunno john, in the years that we have had a 'good' july/summer it has more often then not shown its hand by the first week in july. i cannot recall a long hot summer starting in the second half of july when the preceeding weeks have been nothing but normal. now id suggest that so far this summer has been 'normal', theres certainly been no widespread long hot spell. so for those of us looking for one, i would certainly bet against one IF theres nothing showing by week 2 of july.

now if you or anyone can correct this notion of mine, please do!

as for the ecm varifying, who would bet against a freshly invigoured jet stream  not sticking around for a while. as i see it, once its established as the ecm anomaly suggests it might, its unlikely to be a short lived affair.

itll be interesting to see what todays noaa charts reveal.... as i said earlier i expect what we actually get will be something between the two 'extremes' i posted earlier.

Posted

If you want pessimism, Chinese monthly ensemble for July is the place to look. Thankfully, it has been wayward in its predictions recently and the overall pattern of surface temperature anomalies looks very odd - such a hemispheric difference between warm and cold. :nonono:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Looking more and more likely now that this high will continue into at least the first half of next week

Cloud could be a problem at times but in any sunshine it will be feeling warm

Edited by Summer Sun
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

pessimist or optimist john?... if the gfs version varifies it will be very pleasant.

i dunno john, in the years that we have had a 'good' july/summer it has more often then not shown its hand by the first week in july. i cannot recall a long hot summer starting in the second half of july when the preceeding weeks have been nothing but normal. now id suggest that so far this summer has been 'normal', theres certainly been no widespread long hot spell. so for those of us looking for one, i would certainly bet against one IF theres nothing showing by week 2 of july.

now if you or anyone can correct this notion of mine, please do!

as for the ecm varifying, who would bet against a freshly invigoured jet stream  not sticking around for a while. as i see it, once its established as the ecm anomaly suggests it might, its unlikely to be a short lived affair.

itll be interesting to see what todays noaa charts reveal.... as i said earlier i expect what we actually get will be something between the two 'extremes' i posted earlier.

I will say that the ECM might look bad, but again it could be picking up a signal and over-doing it. The models have been doing this a lot recently in regards to the significance of Scandi troughing.

Anyway this mornings ECM was backed up by the UKMO at days 5/6, luckily the UKMO is a lot better this afternoon and builds heights nicely into the UK by Monday.

Posted Image

GFS looks decent too

Posted Image

The one thing an increasing Atlantic jet could do is finally push the high anomaly over or even to the east of the UK and banish that Scandi trough which has brought some pretty disappointing conditions for some. An Atlantic trough would be very useful to force a warmer and brighter pattern.

Edited by Captain shortwave
  • Like 1

Posted

I will say that the ECM might look bad, but again it could be picking up a signal and over-doing it. The models have been doing this a lot recently in regards to the significance of Scandi troughing.

i absolutely accept this and i hope the ecm anomaly is wrong. i did say that we will probably get something between the two (i just dont want to be seen as only pessimistic, thats only one option).

Posted

this is one of those days when that chart mushy posted is  poor for any guidance. ecm op is 'off on one' in fi and as such its 6/10 day mean representation of the op is also going to be odd.

howeverr, it should be noted that the anomolys through week 2 are very weak and as such, anything is possible.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

Remaining mostly dry and pleasant for another week if the GFS is correct. Lots of dry weather around and temperatures fluctuating between average and above average. The warmth really building next week as the Azores high pushes in.

Posted Image

Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted

GFS 12z shows a continuation of the dry warm theme well into next week and it's only in low res things turn unsettled and cooler.

In the meantime warm and dry apart from some fronts affecting the North of Scotland as they drift

around the high.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

• Like 2