IGNORED

Storm & Convective Discussion - 01/09/14 onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny with night time t-storms

Wow, that photo is stunning!

Yes it is amazing, and more July/August than October

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat and thunderstorms, snow in winter

Decent little storm went through about 15 mins ago with torrential rain and gusty winds, still getting the occasional bright flash now.

Posted

Yes it is amazing, and more July/August than October

But is it more July/August worthy? Or more Mother Nature showing what she is truly capable of!? We had active thunderstorms with large hail in January.

I have an idea for a thread that may cause discussion after the thundery summer, but each time I think about creating it the thundery activity kicks off again. And with some charts showing a warm Southerly flow in 9 days time there must be a chance of further storms then.

Posted

But is it more July/August worthy? Or more Mother Nature showing what she is truly capable of!? We had active thunderstorms with large hail in January.

I have an idea for a thread that may cause discussion after the thundery summer, but each time I think about creating it the thundery activity kicks off again. And with some charts showing a warm Southerly flow in 9 days time there must be a chance of further storms then.

Indeed nature surprises us and humbles us in her power. I witnessed tremendous thunderstorms over here in France in February and March, and let us not forget when we get thundersnow!

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Just had a bright flash through living room window followed quickly by a window shaking bang. Storm no 5 now.

Posted

Lots of sferics in La Manche...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

All gone quiet here now, been an active day especially early on this morning. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

been reading that the weather is supposed to settle down mid month, however if lm reading certain models right things could get annoying (or in the case of some here "interesting") again later next week, now granted anything over 5 days can be hard to predict but l was wondering if there is a likelyhood of the weather settling down soon for a good period of time.. and by settling down l mean lack of thundery activitiy as l dont mind a little wind and rain.. its the potential electrical activity that lm finding somewhat annoying.

Posted

Looks like a block of flats was struck by lightning in Hailsham, being in the sticks no news service seems to have twigged, only information I can get is from Facebook

"It appears to have struck one corner/side of the building, collapsing the roof. Flames have been seen at various top floor windows, the fire brigade are trying to contain it from both sides.
At first there were people still inside certain flats but it seems they were evacuated pretty quickly. I don't think there are any ambulances on scene but certainly many fire engines and the police are turning vehicles around at Western Road's junction with Sussex Avenue."

and from East Sussex Fire and Rescue Service

09 October 2014 19:18 42011830 PERSONS REPORTED HAILSHAM

http://www.esfrs.org/stations/incidents.shtml

Six fire crews are currently tackling a fire in a block of flats in Hailsham after it was struck by lightning earlier this evening

Edited by Sussex Jules

Posted

@ Timeless: wouldnt be too sure whether it will settle down in the second half of this month, the model outputs are somewhat unsteady and varying atm.  GFS does have a possibility of a "cold blast from the east" after the 20th, but IMHO that still belongs to the realms of speculation. We shall see and for now enjoy the treat of a persisting convective season, ey?

BTW, found a news article  from a Swiss newspaper re the storm in the Basle district on Sunday, southern suburbs got pretty much mullered by hail, with amazing pics:

http://www.20min.ch/schweiz/basel/story/Gewitter-verhagelt-Baselbietern-den-Sonntag-14366690 (the interviewed Met stated it was probably a supercell, in reality a multicell it was though)

Here a pic taken by the same photographer of the pic in the link of my previous post:

http://abload.de/img/img_4289kpp87.jpg

It depicts a healthy feeder line of Cu and even a TCu with pileus leading into the main complex, something you would expect to see in summer in the destabilizing conditions ahead of a fast moving cold front,

but for October it is a rare sight I would say..

Hope not getting too much off topic :angel:

Have a good night all, maybe with flashes and rumbles for some :good:

Ralph

Edit Re: Sussex Jules` report, it never ceases to amaze me how few buildings in the UK have lightning conductors as compared to buildings on the continent...

Edited by Generalelectrix

Posted

I'm wondering if anyone could explain, (if anyone knows) the conditions that created last nights monumental storms. From 7:PM to about 9:AM was just storm after storm and the lightning packed a punch too, striking within the village all night, causing power loss. I remember as a child, one night in the mid 90's  there were storms and lightning like that all night but never since, until last night. So rare conditions I would assume. 

Edited by andy989

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

l wouldnt say lm asking the weather to settle, more asking the weather to stop being convective, ld be so much happier not having to worry about thunderstorms while lm out and about.. nothing more annoying than coming home to a friend computer :/

Posted

Well 9th October has to be the best ever October thunder day i've witnessed! 
Thundering from early morning.. showers until midday, then a whole line of thundery downpours 4-5 hours 
Last thunderstorm bringing about 8 rolls of thunder. 
Having said all that, I didn't see much lightning, may'be 3-5 flickers among st the 25-30 claps of thunder! 

8th October, am I right in thinking I heard thunder on that day to ? 

Looking at the GFS,  no sign of non-convective settled weather for at least another 48-72 hours ! :) 

2014 !!! Has been the best year ever for thunderstorms!! ~ For the last 3-4 years the whole whether has given us huge doses of one type of weather, this year we had both heat and storms. ~ Last year rain and wind.. and before that a very nice episode of snowy weather!!  
This entire autumn has been like our usual thundery Augusts! ~ Roll on 10th October! 

Posted

Bit quieter this morning but some lively showers heading into Wales. 

post-9615-0-73919000-1412922639_thumb.pn

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and snow

Had yet some more lightning last night, what is going on this year, never seen such a thundery year! Love it!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

It certainly is a lot quieter today. I've got meteorological DT's now. :laugh:

Yesterday was fantastic, three storms- one being the best of the year.

Posted

Just popped out to the shops, and spotted a well defined storm front approaching from the SE. I'm kicking myself for not grabbing my camera and taking a pic then, as by the time I'd got back it was obscured by the block of flats. Looks big though. No sferics or rain yet.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Humid Continental Climate (Dfa / Dfb)

Just brushed by storm here to the South/South East, I could hear the odd grumble of thunder but it looks so dark.

Posted

Had a proper soaking around lunchtime but no thunder today, it put some water down though!

Posted

nothing here again,  some places have had a tremendously good year for thunder in 2014,  i believe the higher SST and mild winter is a big factor,  despite this only a couple of storms here,   maybe we have just been unlucky this year , its been 'tremendously' bad for us  :doh:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

No thunder here today, but had an incredibly heavy shower with hail mixes in- 235mm/hr rate.

Eyes to the southwest again, tonight/tomorrow morning. :)