Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm & Convective Discussion - 01/09/14 onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes n snow

20141008_175757_zpsx5lah6jp.jpg

Strangest colour sky I have seen for a long time with the setting sun peeping through the gust front.

( northsmptonshire)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

not expecting anything here in thunderproof NW england , trying to use reverse psychology but it I know it wont work anyway

same here mate, although I have been luckierthis year, it's still nothing compared to the rest of the country.

Posted

Not surprised to see reports of a tornado close to here, i could see visible rotation to my south when the storm passed.

Posted

It does look like a tornado may have occurred around Alfreton. I saw rotation on the shower as it moved off towards that direction and there were reports on Radio Derby of trees down nearby and a "police incident" in Alfreton:

attachicon.gifAlfreton tornado.jpg

hope no-one hurt.   Suprised because torro was saying if tornado's could happen more south east to norfolk was the likely zone..

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Plumes and streamers

Skies looked so potent this morning - bang on time they were expected to arrive but something wasn't in place to set it all off.

Disappointing and frustrating but on a plus point giving up on the chase means I can go to the pub with the missus :-)

Was hoping someone could tell me what the synoptics were that limited the eastern track of the more severe weather throughout the day

Posted

Skies looked so potent this morning - bang on time they were expected to arrive but something wasn't in place to set it all off.

Disappointing and frustrating but on a plus point giving up on the chase means I can go to the pub with the missus :-)

Was hoping someone could tell me what the synoptics were that limited the eastern track of the more severe weather throughout the day

only got 8mm here many storm clouds came looked spectacular but did not fire one did come down heavy, even the latest passed quietly sure the beast done some damage somewhere.   They seem just drop off before hitting here which shame considering the summer storm we got surprising.  

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Snow, High Winds.

Some good flashes out to WSW/SW, coming this way but very infrequent probably 3 in past 10 minutes.

Posted

Showers to the W seem to be moving to the N of here and Dartmoor is once again being annoying! A shower to the S isn't too electrified but may give some heavy rain soon. Altocumulus castellanus cloud has just formed overhead.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Showers to the W seem to be moving to the N of here and Dartmoor is once again being annoying! A shower to the S isn't too electrified but may give some heavy rain soon. Altocumulus castellanus cloud has just formed overhead.

How did you see that in the dark?

Posted

How did you see that in the dark?

The altocumulus castellanus cloud was lit up by the moon.

Saw a flash to my SW about 10 minutes ago though haven't seen anything since.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny, stormy and I don't dislike rain only cold

Any thoughts on tomorrow, what I can see there will still be some decent LLS and DLS around although seems to show it being windier in general at ground level. Will there still be the chance of some severe weather, isolated funnel or tornado events?

The general area I'm looking at is most of England, Wales and Southern Ireland.

Edited by Greenday

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

If it's Exmoor that is preventing showers getting here, then I feel your pain! SW is always a good direction for storms here in the summer as they pep up over Exmoor then explode over the little area of the Bristol Channel before hitting land again. At this time year though I think it takes it out of them. At least you've seen some lightning though. :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny with night time t-storms

We are supposed to get some thunderstorms tomorrow here in Dijon. The weather is weird right now. 21c at nearly 2130 and a warm south wind...

Edited by Spikecollie

Posted

If it's Exmoor that is preventing showers getting here, then I feel your pain! SW is always a good direction for storms here in the summer as they pep up over Exmoor then explode over the little area of the Bristol Channel before hitting land again. At this time year though I think it takes it out of them. At least you've seen some lightning though. :)

Yeah, we have a moderate rain shower now but haven't seen any lightning in the past 20 minutes or so.

Edited by William Grimsley

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny with night time t-storms

Acas in the moonlight is so beautiful, little illuminated castles in the sky.

The altocumulus castellanus cloud was lit up by the moon.

Saw a flash to my SW about 10 minutes ago though haven't seen anything since.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

The altocumulus castellanus cloud was lit up by the moon.Saw a flash to my SW about 10 minutes ago though haven't seen anything since.

As someone has mentioned today, convection is too shallow and the atmosphere is too mobile for AcCas to develop. It was most likely Altocumulus. :)