Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm & Convective Discussion - 01/09/14 onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Columus Bigus Convectivus

Caught a flash and a rumble to the East (Shirley way), while walking to a hospital appointment at the QE, earlier this morning

......Maybe catch some more later as the ppn moves up :unknw: from the SW 

Edited by Arnie Pie

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and thundery or Cold and snowy.

Really want these cells in the Severn to shift it eastwards and give some different places a dousing. Really frustrating watching the cbs basically not move all morning!

Amen,  Just a line of CB's to my west.. Not moving at all.

Posted

My other half's had at least 3 storms so far (so she saying) She's in Bramley near Guildford

Posted

As others in Wales have already mentioned, exceptional night here last night. Thunder heard frequently from 5pm until 7am, and again at 10am, with at least 8 separate cells with frequent lightning.

It's fairly common to get the odd steric here in an Autumn / Winter cyclonic SW flow, but for practically every cell to give lightning is exceptional. The closest comparison I can think of is Nov '09, but even then we only had a maximum of around 3 storms / thundery showers in one night.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Three rumbles and a quick drenching. Things are moving very fast.

Posted
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.

Thunderstorm just gonevthrough here in SEnLondon,reguler rumbling and flashing.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny, stormy and I don't dislike rain only cold

A brief but heavy shower fell over Norwich just after 1. Fairly large drops towards the end and the sun shining off them . No t & l. Chased a storm to great Yarmouth which I sawva cc then cg. Rain curtains looked impressive. Dying off over the sea now.. Another heading to Norwich, time to move :-)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Had some real heavy downpours this afternoon but no more thunder since this mornings storm which rumbled on for over an hour!

Posted
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.

Torrential downpour accompanied with one bright flash of lightning here. A wet early evening in prospect hopefully with thunder, hail and the odd tornado.

Anyway to set the record straight this is a 'mini' tornado.

post-5386-0-98499800-1412865874_thumb.pn

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Some horrendous driving conditions driving through SE London earlier, with sudden burst of very heavy rain coupled by strong winds. Quite a bit of lightning produced by the first storm as soon as I arrived home.

Second storm clipping here now, with a very bright flash and instant ground shaking bang as I type.

Netweather storm forecast: http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=convective;sess=

Edited by Nick F

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

Think the worst seems to have missed us the last couple of days.

Posted

Hi @ all

The Lady has just sent me an email : no phoning her at work today in Farnham, a massive CG has just fried the phone system. Wellwell, pretty thundery October in the UK by the looks, but same thundery story here in Germany too, I am working in Constance atm and had thunder on Sunday and Tuesday. 

Here is the link to a picture taken on Sunday by a member of the Swiss met forum of a paticularly nasty specimen tracking from the Basle area in Switzerland over the border to Germany, Black Forest. The Pic was taken from the Black forest facing SW :blink2:

http://abload.de/img/20141006_storm5okj0.jpg

Cloud top at 14 (!) kilometers, spawned widespread hail and possibly a tornado on the french side in an earlier stage of development.... (incredible piccie for October, July would be more appropriate)

Lightning activity over the UK seems to be easing off a wee bit right now..

Regards

Ralph

Edited by Generalelectrix

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny, stormy and I don't dislike rain only cold

Disappointed to say that I didn't see any rotation on any of the storms I got to have a look at (maybe just a tiny bit on an updraft). It was quite tricky to have much time to keep an eye on them as they were moving pretty quickly. Further to my earlier post I intercepted the 3rd cell that was close enough to chase for me and this one had a pretty decent squall line and mammatus which I got a video of. On the approach the convection looked nice and crisp on the back end with the sun shining on it.

Something though was inhibiting severity, perhaps it was lack of CAPE or the shear didn't really kick in as forecast. Any normal day it would reach expectation but under a level 1 mainly for tornados, slight risk and tornado watch I am a little subdued. However that's what storm chasing is about busts can and do actually happen :) on the brightside, worth a try under those circumstances!