Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm & Convective Discussion - 01/09/14 onwards

Posted

I didn't think the lightning frequency of the storms from 17th to 19th July could be matched this year, but this current storm is doing a good job at matching them.

This truly has been a remarkable year for thundery activity.

We do seem to be in the sweet spot here tonight with cells forming just to the S and E of us. Very electrically active very quickly. Had a couple of very close CG's in the last 20 minutes - one was less than 1/4 mile away.

Posted

Can clearly see flashes from that storm from down here near Sidmouth, and I have a hill to my NE.

May go to a local viewpoint as from there I saw actual CC/CG bolts from a storm in about the same position in July!

Are the flashes coming from the south? Hoping to get some here in Honiton.

Posted

We do seem to be in the sweet spot here tonight with cells forming just to the S and E of us. Very electrically active very quickly. Had a couple of very close CG's in the last 20 minutes - one was less than 1/4 mile away.

I thought there must have been more CGs judging by the thunder. Watching to the ESE there is more forming with flashes outside of the rain area, although latest radar suggests rain is developing again so it may well develop as earlier! Either that or the frequent flashes are at the extremity of the large storms' anvil.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

@ Chris k,surely you can see some lightning by now,it's nearly on your doorstep.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather enthusiast

Goodness me Melksham area looks like the place to be right now...the cells seem to be back building over that area with most strikes being detected there at the moment. It all seems to be trundling its way towards Bristol.

Even though not that many strikes are being detected near here, I am now hearing rumbles cropping up about 10 miles North of Bristol so I can only assume the storms are becoming elevated as they move W/NW?

@ Chris k,surely you can see some lightning by now,it's nearly on your doorstep.

In the distance to my SE yes. If it gets a bit closer I will try get some piccys...seems to be staying a bit too far South for me at the moment.

Edited by Chris K

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

Very frequent, almost constant rumbles of thunder here but have only witnessed 2 elevated lightning strikes in the past hour or so.

Posted

can anyone near portsmouth/bognor regis see anything to their south towards the channel?

Can't see anything, but can hear deep rumbles

Posted

Goodness me Melksham area looks like the place to be right now...the cells seem to be back building over that area with most strikes being detected there at the moment. It all seems to be trundling its way towards Bristol.

Even though not that many strikes are being detected near here, I am now hearing rumbles cropping up about 10 miles North of Bristol so I can only assume the storms are becoming elevated as they move W/NW?

In the distance to my SE yes. If it gets a bit closer I will try get some piccys...seems to be staying a bit too far South for me at the moment.

Cheers Chris,good luck,i am hoping that i will see something tomoz or sat,but i think i am a bit too far north for that,we shall see.

Posted

Strike detectors are grossly under-reporting the number of strikes. One every 2 or 3 seconds here

Posted

Strike detectors are grossly under-reporting the number of strikes. One every 2 or 3 seconds here

Yea I assume this is because detectors generally pick up CG lightning?

Posted

They only pick up cg's Chap,(cloud to ground),don't ask me why

glad you havin a light show though :good:

Edit,Chris,you are too quick lol.

Edited by Allseasons-si

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: action weather

stopped the car up on mendip about 30 min ago and you could see non stop flashes towards bath area .had a few large spots of rain .now looking at developments across the channel for later tonight ,enjoy whilst we have it .

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

here at Lyneham it's like a strobe light show to my south!.......plenty of low growls of thunder to boot.....not getting any closer I might add as the storms are tracking WNW, but one heck of a show!

eyes also peeled to the IOW region where a new cluster of storms trying to develop 

Posted

That bend of ppn in the channel could prove to be lively later as it hits landfall,plenty to watch out for.

Edited by Allseasons-si

Posted

They only pick up cg's Chap,(cloud to ground),don't ask me why

glad you havin a light show though :good:

Edit,Chris,you are too quick lol.

Thanks for that - you learn something every day

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny with night time t-storms

Thanks for that - you learn something every day

That's what I asked earlier! I had a riot of a storm and so little on the sferics. Now we all know...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny with night time t-storms

You have got one of the biggest cells in Europe right now!

Posted

Frequent lightning way to the SE...looks to be ever so slowly coming this way....lovely! Going to try get some pictures now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

new storm developing to my south/south east....quite loud thunder