Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm & Convective Discussion - 01/09/14 onwards

Posted
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.

Has anyone ever had thunderfog?  :rofl:  Come on Norfolk, you can surely squeeze out a little cloud parp later......

Yes and its not very interesting, lightning resembles someone turning the lights on and off very quickly and the thunder is barely audible.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Snow, High Winds.

This is the highest rainfall rate I have recorded and I have ever experienced in my life. Newton Poppleford Weather All Time Records Highest Rainfall Rate: 209.4 mm/hr 19/09/2014 07:37. In accompany to this, I am currently experiencing lightning on average about every 20 seconds - 1 minute and with this is the loudest gunshot thunder I have heard in my life. This is the best thunderstorm I have ever experienced in my life.

Posted

This is the highest rainfall rate I have recorded and I have ever experienced in my life. Newton Poppleford Weather All Time Records Highest Rainfall Rate: 209.4 mm/hr 19/09/2014 07:37. In accompany to this, I am currently experiencing lightning on average about every 20 seconds - 1 minute and with this is the loudest gunshot thunder I have heard in my life. This is the best thunderstorm I have ever experienced in my life.

Hmmnn. Doesnt look anywhere near that bad on the radar. For how long was that rate recorded??

Edited by Biggin

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

So, I can still hear constant thunder, but it is getting distant now.  It's been constant for over an hour - top drawer!

Not a single CG from that storm, at least not that I saw.  Unlike the night of 17th July, the lightning wasn't very impressive today but the thunder was awesome (whereas the thunder on 17th July wasn't great).  

The occasional very bright flash today, presumably positive strikes, accompanied by shotgun thunder (one which had two 'booms' separated by almost a second, something I've not heard before).

Nice start to the day!

Edited by Luke Best

Posted

Has anyone ever had thunderfog?  :rofl:  Come on Norfolk, you can surely squeeze out a little cloud parp later......

we get thunderfog here on the hills in west limerick - on alert today, we've actually had no rain here for over two weeks now, but last night the farmers were baling hay until 3am in the fields around us like they knew something - it's like a scene from Mad Max with all the various contraptions tractor and lights so it is!  We so need the rain, our well has dried up twice this year, plus i love a good storm we're 400ft up in the hills here looking out towards kerry, at the moment looking at radar right between the two cells of action in Ireland at the moment. lets hope the action moves up in a nice north westerly direction!

Edited by tara303

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Hmmnn. Doesnt look anywhere near that bad on the radar. For how long was that rate recorded??

post-15177-0-48621600-1411110223_thumb.p

Right where that white blob is.

Edited by Mapantz

Posted

Very brief, maybe a minute.

Posted

Just to add. Newton Poppleford Weather All Time Records Highest Hourly Rainfall: 25.0 mm 19/09/2014 08:01.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine. And storms

Yes and its not very interesting, lightning resembles someone turning the lights on and off very quickly and the thunder is barely audible.

Really? Goodness me! Mind you I doubt if Norfolk could even manage that these days lol!

Posted

Any experts with a theory as to why last nights thunder sounded quite so angry? Clearly not just me as a few posts alluding to it. Storm was overheard yes but the thunder was easily the most intense I have experienced in a long time

Posted

Im waiting for tonight because it appears it will go bang across the SE before moving N into E Anglia. This could continue all through the night.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Plumes and streamers

Was so foggy last night / this morning I couldn't make out any forks but was getting flashes all around me from a cell that was over west london, was wierd.

Posted

Any experts with a theory as to why last nights thunder sounded quite so angry? Clearly not just me as a few posts alluding to it. Storm was overheard yes but the thunder was easily the most intense I have experienced in a long time

doesn't sound travel quicker and more clearly through dry air? given the instability, it hasn't been that humid here, don't know about your location...? It always scares the carp out of me out here in the country as there's less urban areas to soak the sound up!

Posted

Well, that was a very good thunderstorm, I've certainly seen better but that wasn't too shabby. Distant frequent lightning about 15 miles away stopped and then heavy/torrential rain came in accompanied by 2 nearly overhead lightning strikes, a few lightning strikes only a few miles away and one very recent overhead lightning strike with a clap of thunder. Very nice.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine. And storms

Im waiting for tonight because it appears it will go bang across the SE before moving N into E Anglia. This could continue all through the night.

Wish I had your faith! I do think west of the region has more chance, coastal areas will have to put up with the murk I fear.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny, stormy and I don't dislike rain only cold

Looks like the south east is missing out on the thunderstorms again :(

The storm risk forecast for you today doesn't look too shabby, fingers crossed for you.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

Amazing looking storms last night I must say!

However, these are looking dwarfed by that one in marseille vicinity! Multiple strikes per second there !!