Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm & Convective Discussion - 01/09/14 onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Not a drop of rain here in NW London! Sunny and humid, feels like July! Did you get storms last night, had mine in the early hours!

I did (started around 02:30), was a decent storm for late in the 'storm season'. Decent thunder and lightning and 'proper' rain. Was very chuffed!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

That's a biggie...remind me why they come down flat...!

No idea, most were quite well rounded. 

I grabbed this one as it landed near the cafe door (my arm was drenched just from picking this up). It could have been due to melt after it landed, or, it cracked on landing on the pavement.

Edited by Harry

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny with night time t-storms

No idea, most were quite well rounded. 

I grabbed this one as it landed near the cafe door (my arm was drenched just from picking this up). It could have been due to melt after it landed, or, it cracked on landing on the pavement.

I suspect it might have been born that way. I'll check it out. Looked it up but I have read up on this before because I was fascinated by some "sea urchins" that fell from a storm in Limousin. Is it hemispherical like this guy describes?

"The round side is the one that was facing the ground as the hail fell downwards in a fairly non-turbulent area of the cloud. The hailstone develops a preferential fall orientation as more ice accumulates on it, making the round side heavier and more aerodynamic than the other side. Therefore, that side continues to face downwards each time that the hailstone drops through the cloud, throughout its lifetime of being repeatedly carried aloft and dropped. Once the hailstone becomes too heavy to be lifted or the updrafts in the storm weaken, the hail falls to the ground with the rounded shape on the bottom and flat (or sometimes a scooped out bowl) shape on top." http://www.newton.dep.anl.gov/askasci/wea00/wea00280.htm

Aren't these clouds so awe inspiring?

Edited by Spikecollie

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Heat Waves, Tornadoes.

We can clearly see in the image what could happen if the cloud was to clear.

Still plenty of time.

post-15744-0-09203000-1411142092_thumb.j

Posted

Not a drop of rain here in NW London! Sunny and humid, feels like July! Did you get storms last night, had mine in the early hours!

Yep, had a cracker of a storm last night at about 2.40am- long rolling booming thunder, and bright lightning, plus heavy rain. Must of gone on for about an hour or so. Was the perfect lullaby to drift off to sleep to.

It's gone back to hot and humid here too, so I'm wondering if I'll get to be really lucky and get another show tonight.

Posted

Over 14000 strikes in Europe today. Not even close to the record, but formidable nonetheless...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

Yep, had a cracker of a storm last night at about 2.40am- long rolling booming thunder, and bright lightning, plus heavy rain. Must of gone on for about an hour or so. Was the perfect lullaby to drift off to sleep to.

It's gone back to hot and humid here too, so I'm wondering if I'll get to be really lucky and get another show tonight.

We are under a weather warning until tomorrow and east looks best! 50p sized hail in London :shok: did i read that right  in someone's post!

Posted

Does no one live in south Norfolk? There's a mighty storm going on and no one's there...

Stevenage too...hello!

Edited by Spikecollie

Posted

Does no one live in south Norfolk? There's a mighty storm going on and no one's there...

I think the five people that do, are on holiday!

Posted

I think the five people that do, are on holiday!

Can I have their storms then?!

Posted

Can I have their storms then?!

It's such a waste! :nonono: There are humans in Stevenage though! Allegedly! :ninja::whistling: :whistling:

Edited by lassie23

Posted

It's such a waste! :nonono: There are humans in Stevenage though!

That flippin' Norfolk storm is bigger than some of the continental European ones...it's wasted! None of the METARs in the area are reporting anything. That's not surprising though...they say scattered showers when they should say VCTS!!!

Edited by Spikecollie

Posted

Stevenage too...hello!

I do when I'm not at work. Sort of.

Mrs's said that it was the loudest thunder she's ever heard, when sheltering in Asda, Stevenage, half hour ago, and she's been to florida a few times. Torrential rain as well.

Posted

That flippin' Norfolk storm is bigger than some of the continental European ones...it's wasted!

Just looked on the radar! :bomb: :bomb: :shok: Wow! Would be good to hear from anyone who is under that!

Edited by lassie23

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything apart from grey days

Can see the Suffolk cell from here, pretty dam big - no lightning visible though. Seems to be towers shooting up all around at present.

Posted

Yes, but, the storm in Norfolk is the BIGGEST in Europe...what's happening there?!

Posted

Yes, but, the storm in Norfolk is the BIGGEST in Europe...what's happening there?!

I'm on the edge of it, I'm just 10 miles from the Norfolk border here in Bury St Edmunds. We have torrential rain and near constant thunder but can't see any lightning :/

Got CG's now :)))

Edited by pinball wizard

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny, stormy and I don't dislike rain only cold

Stevenage too...hello!

I'm in Norwich and can see it edging closer, possible distant rumble just now. I'm not going to chase yet as it's still rush hour and I'm north side of the city. Will keep you posted..

Edited by Greenday

Posted

I'm on the edge of it, I'm just 10 miles from the Norfolk border here in Bury St Edmunds. We have torrential rain and near constant thunder but can't see any lightning :/

I guess it's elevated by its intensity. It really is the BIGGEST cell in Europe right now. I would be a bit scared under that lot. I guess we will hear on the media what's gone on, but I suspect it will be like last night and this morning in parts of the south.

I'm in Norwich and can see it edging closer, possible distant rumble just now. I'm not going to chase yet as it's still rush hour and I'm north side of the city. Will keep you posted..

Don't chase without great care in your car. People have died over here in France the last few days in vehicles in flash flooding. Please be careful...but enjoy...

Edited by Spikecollie

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything apart from grey days

Quick shot of the Suffolk storm......

post-17315-0-78261500-1411144902_thumb.j

The picture doesn't really do it justice though.

EDIT: Flanking cumulus towers are now shooting up into the sky. The thing is a beast.

Edited by poseidon

Posted

Quick shot of the Suffolk storm......

attachicon.gifP1070189.JPG

The picture doesn't really do it justice though.

That is something to go to sleep and dream about! Beautiful shot...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Typical that the East has managed to get a storm! Until last night the chances seemed good for us further west.