Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm & Convective Discussion - 01/09/14 onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Snow, High Winds.

wait, what?  :crazy:

Ah, I put the posts the wrong way round, oops. It was at first not the best and then it became the best. LOL :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything out of the ordinary, except extreme heat

Thanks for posting those lightning maps Mapantz.

Storm reported late morning by my wife who is at school near Salisbury, nothing today yet in Warminster but the sun is slowly burning through the murk which is making for quite a tropical feel - certainly a lot of energy in the atmosphere.

Yes, its still so close out there. Last night's quite violent storm did nothing to clear the air. To me it seems like its been a very muggy summer. not my favourite type of weather, although I do love storms, especially at night.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny with night time t-storms

The rain here is insane in the last hour, the streets are flowing and I got soaked coming back from work. We had some weird flickering lightning at about 1000 and some booms of thunder, very disconcerting in the middle of my class  :laugh:  

Posted

Thanks for posting those lightning maps Mapantz.

Storm reported late morning by my wife who is at school near Salisbury,

People do get married young these days !

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold or very hot

What is weird is that on the lightning detector it doesn't show the thunder we had last night. A bit intrigued into why it doesn't show. Can anyone help?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Snow, High Winds.

What is weird is that on the lightning detector it doesn't show the thunder we had last night. A bit intrigued into why it doesn't show. Can anyone help?

Hi marksiwnc,

Where do you live? It's quite possible that all the lightning you had was intra cloud or cloud to cloud lightning and lightning detectors including Netweather.tv's don't pick up other types of lightning except cloud to ground lightning very easily.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Heat Waves, Tornadoes.

You cant see thunder. :-)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Look at the rapid intensification just east of Le Havre, from nothing to storm producing huge amount of lightning in less than 30 minutes.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

Look at the rapid intensification just east of Le Havre, from nothing to storm producing huge amount of lightning in less than 30 minutes.

Wattisham and lakenheath around 24c with 21c dew points !! Certainly feels quite close here too despite cloudcover. Hope we get something that has erupted like that Le Havre storm !

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms!! (With the odd gale thrown in)

The sun is out, the sky is blue(ish) and there was a very large rumble of thunder...?!?!

Posted

People do get married young these days !

LOL!

The rain here is insane in the last hour, the streets are flowing and I got soaked coming back from work. We had some weird flickering lightning at about 1000 and some booms of thunder, very disconcerting in the middle of my class  :laugh:  

What age do you teach? My wife teaches 5-7 year olds and has had a rather weather induced distracting day with more thundery activity since lunch time near Salisbury.

The storms since late morning seem to be firing near Salisbury and running NNE. Most definitely a radar watching day from now onwards, although the speed of intensity could catch us out even by doing that if they develop as rapidly as yesterday evening.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Think too much cloud is going to inhibit developments for many now. Think the best of it has passed now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms!! (With the odd gale thrown in)

A sudden flurry of sferics appearing over East London in the past minute:

http://www.lightningmaps.org/realtime?lang=en

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

LOL!

What age do you teach? My wife teaches 5-7 year olds and has had a rather weather induced distracting day with more thundery activity since lunch time near Salisbury.

The storms since late morning seem to be firing near Salisbury and running NNE. Most definitely a radar watching day from now onwards, although the speed of intensity could catch us out even by doing that if they develop as rapidly as yesterday evening.

definitely agree with you there Andy......at face value, I'd write today off here, total cloud cover, damp, doesn't feel convective etc etc.......but surface conditions belay what is really going on in the upper atmosphere, with oodles of mid-level instability with an in-situ trough continuing to trigger the extra forcing required for strong mid-level convection......a volatile powder keg just waiting to go bang in my opinion

Think too much cloud is going to inhibit developments for many now. Think the best of it has passed now.

see my above post Luke

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Cloud cleared here quite suddenly about an hour ago. Temp and humidity have rocketed!! Feels like Singapore lol. Explosive convection going on to my E over C/E London...some lucky beggars are going to get hammered.

post-18410-0-64422100-1411135494_thumb.j

Posted

LOL!

I've been teaching "Teamworking" in ESC Dijon in France to undergraduates and "Human Resource Management" to Masters students. It has been a fun but tiring week. I also do supply teaching in schools, and will be teaching English part time in a school in Limousin from the beginning of October. We seem to be getting less storm activity than you guys over here today, but there are big storms to my west around Chateauroux. Tomorrow looking good for northern France though - I'm heading back up to Paris and then back to the UK for a couple of weeks, until I come back to Dijon and Limousin for the next part of the two courses and the start of the English classes...

Posted

Well, that was an unexpected storm. Rumbling thunder, torrential rain with hail mixed in and strong gusts.

My balcony has flooded and I'm soggy from the knees down! Still thunder and rain ATM, and it's heading eastwards.

Posted

On a more sombre note, folks, four people were drowned and two are missing after a Municipal campsite flooded with vicious suddenness in Lamalou les Bains, Herault. There has been an orange alert there for days now and the rain just kept coming. The reports are very harrowing:

http://www.lindependant.fr/2014/09/19/torrent-meurtrier-a-lamalou-les-bains,1931361.php

It's exciting but deadly weather...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental. Dry air, storms and snow.

Jusat had that one overhead in Camden - torrential rain and a few decent bangs - love the way it popped out of nowhere on rainradar! Good job it stopped as I don't want the railway tunnels to get flooded..

Makes up a bit for the usual/back to normal no show last night in the beds/bucks area. Well we did have a couple of storms in July, so we must shut up and be grateful :laugh:

Posted

Wishing for something here. Went for a 15 minute walk and it's so sultry and humid outside.

The storm over London seemed to come out of nowhere so fingers crossed for here!