Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Stratosphere Temperature Watch 2014/2015

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms

I would agree with those thoughts, Tony and Matt.

Any possible tropospheric led upwelling wave 2 split ( which is difficult to forecast due to being trop based) is always likely to be a secondary bonus this late autumn. It is also less likely when comparing to similar years whereas the wave 1 upper based Canadian Warming is bang on what we would expect to see.

It was interesting to see Cohen's thoughts regarding bringing forward a possible SSW to early December but I don't think that will necessarily be the case.  I think that we will see the CW over the next few weeks before a period of vortex recovery. The CW will displace the upper vortex towards the Atlantic sector which will probably influence the troposphere during that time. Whether further wave 2 activity will create a split remains to be seen. Following this, I would agree with you Matt regarding the possibility of a SSW with late December as being the favoured time. Currently the Merra stats show that the strat temps and mean zonal winds are around average. The temps will take a hit and the mean zonal winds not rising above those critical values that I don't like to see ( > 60m/s at 1hPa and >40m/s at 10hPa).

Without the upwelling split then November will be average but the excitement will still build with cold possibilities later when winter arrives. 

• Like 8

Posted

Just a quick one, sort of a reference for the coming weeks and months but full November update of the EC Seasonal model is now out and it continues the theme from the last few months and seeing it is now November, essentially the EC Seasonal model is predicting a mild, wet and unsettled winter period with a text-book +NAO and +AO pattern across the Atlantic and polar region. Pressure is higher to the south and south-west of the UK and lower to the north and north-west with a broad W or SW'ly type with temps circa +0.5C to +1.5C above average.

The EUROSIP Seasonal model which takes into account the UKMO, NCEP, Meteo-France and ECMWF seasonal data will be out around the 15th, but I don't expect this to be much different as they have both been showing the same thing for some time now. In essence it looks a fascinating winter for a number of reasons and without question it is definitely a case of "seasonal models v signs and signals" this winter. Clearly there will be one outcome. My money is for the signs and signals to come to fruition this year and for the seasonal models to be wrong, but that being said they can't be ignored and won't be ignored at the UKMO I can tell you.

Regards, Matt.

• Like 4

Posted

A quick comparison between ECM and GFS Parallel for the same time: I used the 1° grid output for the GFS parallel. 

ecmwf10f240.gif 10p.png 10z.png

ecmwf5f240.gif 5p.png 5tp.png

ecmwf1f240.gif 1p.png 1tp.png

ecmwfzmuf240.gif uu.png

Not much of a diference, expect in the temperature/zonal winds, due to model biases, which tend to affect temperature more than heights. 

In the FI:

1.png 5.png 10.png

Upper strat has a wave 3ih feel to it. 

5tg.png

Regards-

Edited by Recretos
  • Like 7

Posted

Correct me if I'm wrong, wave 1 cause and effect currently being observed in N America with Arctic incursion over duration of next 10 days.

Although still cautious regarding wave 2 at present , signs on models showing an extension of present Arctic incursion getting reloaded towards final third of November.

Beginning to look like quite a sustained low temp period for N America.

It would require a wave 3 to appear final week of Nov- start of December to shift current pattern. All hypothetical at present but an educated predication is allowed with current Synoptics.

Absolutely agree with Matt's higher than average temps and rainfall for NW Europe statement.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms

Just a quick one, sort of a reference for the coming weeks and months but full November update of the EC Seasonal model is now out and it continues the theme from the last few months and seeing it is now November, essentially the EC Seasonal model is predicting a mild, wet and unsettled winter period with a text-book +NAO and +AO pattern across the Atlantic and polar region. Pressure is higher to the south and south-west of the UK and lower to the north and north-west with a broad W or SW'ly type with temps circa +0.5C to +1.5C above average.

The EUROSIP Seasonal model which takes into account the UKMO, NCEP, Meteo-France and ECMWF seasonal data will be out around the 15th, but I don't expect this to be much different as they have both been showing the same thing for some time now. In essence it looks a fascinating winter for a number of reasons and without question it is definitely a case of "seasonal models v signs and signals" this winter. Clearly there will be one outcome. My money is for the signs and signals to come to fruition this year and for the seasonal models to be wrong, but that being said they can't be ignored and won't be ignored at the UKMO I can tell you.

Regards, Matt.

Perhaps we will get a mix of both, with the longest cold spell following a SSW, and the longest Atlantic driven spell in the lead up to the possible SSW.....

It's right to be cautious with the long range charts -

6 days ago

attachicon.gifNH_TMP_1mb_384.gif

Today for same forecast time

attachicon.gifNH_TMP_1mb_240.gif

I've tried to stop looking past day 10.

Edited by chionomaniac
  • Like 1

Posted

Cant help not to post it. GEFS and ECM to some extent, have a double MT event past 300h.

pressurereducedtomslmslu.png gefsmslpaexpac65.png gefsz500aexpac65.png

The parallel at the back end 10 hpa temps is really pushing the less cold ones across the pole. is that happening higher up recretos?

• Like 1

Posted

Pretty much yes. It has one hell of a wave 1 in the upper strat, with secondary and terciary "quasi" waves.

If I could translate it to the FU Berlin wave charts, wave 1 would peak at 1600-1800 and wave 2 around 600-800. NOAA analysis would also detect wave 3 in there, but temperature wise it is pretty much a temp. wave 1 in the dominance, tho not that strong.

It is very similar to ECM in the mid range, and in the FI its something I would expect from ECM if it would go beyond 240h. Normal GFS on the other hand is quite biased as resolution drops. Most evident is mid and upper colder vortex and too warm upper strat temp waves.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm sunny days

Confused about what QBO phase we are in. The Holton 1980 paper defines it at the 50mb level. http://www.atmos.washington.edu/gcg/JR_site/papers/1980_6.pdf

And looking at the current chart. we are at the value of 31 (positive)

http://www.geo.fu-berlin.de/met/ag/strat/produkte/qbo/qbo.dat

• Like 2

Posted

Confused about what QBO phase we are in. The Holton 1980 paper defines it at the 50mb level. http://www.atmos.washington.edu/gcg/JR_site/papers/1980_6.pdf

And looking at the current chart. we are at the value of 31 (positive)

http://www.geo.fu-berlin.de/met/ag/strat/produkte/qbo/qbo.dat

I'm need to check the exact definition but definitely classed as an easterly phase. Easterly winds now cover from 10mb down to 50mb, it looks like easterlies have peaked at the top and starting to drop off but surely it will be way beyond the end of the winter before it turns westerly down to lower levels

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

I'm need to check the exact definition but definitely classed as an easterly phase. Easterly winds now cover from 10mb down to 50mb, it looks like easterlies have peaked at the top and starting to drop off but surely it will be way beyond the end of the winter before it turns westerly down to lower levels

I think the actual definition is 30mb wind direction on the equator line.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Click on my name - sorry, it was too long to fit here......

"The QBO is measured at 30 hPa and has entered an easterly phase for this winter. "

It's in the first (excellent) post on this thread.

• Like 1

"The QBO is measured at 30 hPa and has entered an easterly phase for this winter. "

It is 30hPa (mb) for the NOAA NCEP data but around 45hPa for the Berlin data of Labitzke - as it descends through the stratosphere occasionally they will be in different phases.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm sunny days

Believe me, I thought it was 30mb too. maybe because its in the middle of it all is why they use 30mb. Why not take the average of the data points from http://www.geo.fu-berlin.de/met/ag/strat/produkte/qbo/qbo.dat  

Posted

QBO is an oscillation that covers quite a vertical depth. It is a complex thing that cannot be bound to just one level, regardless what a study from 1980 said, because it is phasing through more than 35km of vertical depth. :)

As far as the winter stratosphere, SSWs and polar vortex are concerned, I personally, for practical reasons look at 30mb level, +/- 20mb. 50mb is not practical because that is pretty much the treshold below which the "dispersion" starts.

QBO is easy to spot actually (much easier than on raw numbers), if you look at mean zonal wind plots like the ones I make or the nice ones from FU Berlin.

So yes, we are without a doubt in a negative QBO phase right now.

Edited by Recretos
  • Like 8