Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Stratosphere Temperature Watch 2014/2015

Posted

Just a quick one and I'll keep it brief, but yesterday's 12Z ECM from the Berlin site is not a step in the right direction. In a way comparing and contrasting each run is not what this thread is about really, so again I'll keep it brief, but compared with charts from the 12Z 7th run, when wave 2 looked to be on the increase and a split was evident from the bottom up, that signal has been reduced on yesterday's (8th 12Z) models. The split isn't really there and importantly the ridge over Greenland isn't there either and whilst wave 1 increases at the top of the strat, wave 2 is insignificant. Following link/images highlight this...

http://users.met.fu-berlin.de/~Aktuell/strat-www/wdiag/eczm.php?alert=1&forecast=all&var=ha2&lng=eng

http://users.met.fu-berlin.de/~Aktuell/strat-www/wdiag/ec.php?alert=1&level=70&forecast=all&lng=eng#fig11

Oooddles of time left and the vortex remains in a disorganised state and especially with regards to its influences on the troposphere, but it's a waiting game, simple as that.

Matt.

Edited by MattHugo
  • Like 9

Posted

Warming even stronger at the top of the stratosphere again today after being strong earlier this week before waning again. Today, it is even stronger than it was the last time I posted it looks like. It's a shame we are not seeing this lower down the stratosphere where we want to see it to enable the vortex to split. Still, it is good to see that the lower stratosphere is not undergoing rapid cooling. The profile has not changed much at all, if at all, during October, and it looks like that will continue this month too. Fingers crossed. Sorry to keep posting these up. I am just keeping the interest and excitement alive.

post-15287-0-13216800-1415533467_thumb.g

post-15287-0-10698500-1415533475_thumb.g

post-15287-0-21150900-1415533497_thumb.g

post-15287-0-29574800-1415533513_thumb.g

Edited by reef
  • Like 3

Posted

Excellent post SK and simply put in laymens terms, which for someone like me is much appreciated. I'm with you on looking at the bigger picture further down the line hopefully seeing that block to our East link up with a Greenland high mid winter onwards. The fact that we've got something to pin our hopes on makes this coming winter far more enjoyable to watch ( from a cold perspective ) than last years PV fest. Does Cohens work also have any correlation with those strong height anomolies we've seen over the NE Pacific over the last year or so?

• Like 4

Just reading through Cohen's blog, and had to pull out a few tidbits of interest.

The first one is this:

Of course we are starting to see this appear now in both the ECMWF and GFS suites, and it also confirms recent discussions regarding the unusually early nature of the repercussions from a high SAI. Whilst a few days out of date, the below chart from the blog also looks pretty useful:

In short it shows vertical propagation of wave flux - and as you can hopefully see, there appears to be particularly strong propagation through much of the stratosphere forecast through the next couple of weeks.

I am anticipating a barrage of 'winters over' posts over in the MOD thread if we do indeed transition back towards a neutral/positive AO state towards the end of the month, but I am hoping the sensible posts from some of the more seasoned members are helping to temper expectations a little. The truth is following a high SAI, early winter is not a favourable time for Western European cold - there is always a slim chance that this occurs consequentially given the strengthening Siberian high, but generally speaking I hold more interest in seeing the cold air pool to our East as opposed to watching and expecting it to be advected our way early on.

But it should be noted once again that we do seem, at the moment at least, to be working on an accelerated timeline. My personal expectations following the SAI/OPI final figures had been that we would not see anything too significant cold wise until January. But given where we find ourselves right now, I cannot disagree too much with the below:

So what am I personally looking for with the upcoming -AO period? Simply to start building a cold pool to our East, ready for us hopefully to 'tap into' a little further down the line.

At this stage the only factor I can see counter to the theory of a -AO this winter is the average to slightly above average sea ice extent around Barents/Kara, as Cohen mentions too, but on the grand scale of things and given that this is a very recent theory with little conclusive supporting evidence for the moment it does not concern me greatly.

Even if we do not hit the holy grail here in the UK, stratospherically this is going to be another fascinating season and thankfully should provide a stark contrast to last 'winter'

SK

Hi SK

I rarely venture in here-  I cant post in all threads-  A nice round up.

Interesting about the comment for cold in certain locale-  the current ECM wave 2 wave breaking event will certainly change the dynamics of where the cold sets up though-

UKMO & GFS WAVES indicate what Cohen says-

GFS

post-1235-0-42348500-1415537606_thumb.jp

ECM

post-1235-0-69457500-1415537622_thumb.jp

As we can see both are -AO negative, however the alignment of the wave breaking is different with the ECM a complete vortex split & cold flooding West from Eurasia, the GFS has the cold cross polar feeding the American pattern.

Only one configuration is cold for the UK.....

S

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

Imagine having a circular bath with a plug in the middle. Once this plug is pulled out the water will flow out in a circular motion with the plug hole being the centre of the vortex. If I was then to insert a brick into the bath towards the edge of the vortex then the flow would be disrupted significantly and diverted around the brick - we would have created a situation where a wave is created around the flow. If we were then to insert another brick in the bath then we would create two waves disrupting the flow. The first scenario we call a wave number 1 and the second a wave number 2. The size and position of the brick(s) would significantly detemine how the vortex would flow. And so we can consider the same with the stratospheric/tropospheric vortices. 

For those that just love reading these posts , the size of the brick I assume determines how far the water has to go around to get back to the plug hole. Small disruptions pebbles etc happy frequently and would push the vortex 5 degrees further south but bigger wave disruptions ie a bigger bricks could push the colder air much further south ??

Would two wave disruptions interact or would they like the brick analogy not if they were on opposite sides of the plug hole. ie the water would only go around one brick and drop back into the plug hole and wouldn't be affected by the other brick ? However as you have posted we could be getting the vortex disrupted on both sides of the globe with more of a chance of us in the UK getting some of that diverted cold water with two large bricks (2 waves disruptions) at the same time ? 

Posted

Hi stew

2 bricks as a symetrical positions increase the disruption to the flow creating more eddies-

The ECM today has 2 bricks plus a bag of cement over the plug hole.....

steve what signs are you looking for early on in the 12z runs when they come out?do you think they will revert back to what they were showing yesterday with a nice greenland high!!
  • Like 1

Just reading through Cohen's blog, and had to pull out a few tidbits of interest.

That's worth linking to - https://www.aer.com/science-research/climate-weather/arctic-oscillation

The one thing about the whole SAI stuff is that while the papers are compelling, it is not easy to determine the effect in actual archive charts, certainly not as an overwhelming and dominant feature at any rate. The Japan Met Agency has a good series of archives including 300mb Wave Activity Flux at variable time periods from 5 days to 3 months - http://ds.data.jma.go.jp/tcc/tcc/products/clisys/acmi.html

To be fair, these don't show WAF anomaly as used by Cohen.

steve what signs are you looking for early on in the 12z runs when they come out?do you think they will revert back to what they were showing yesterday with a nice greenland high!!

Hi I will looking at 2 areas on the models

* Atlantic on the T 168 timeframe to see whether there is more amplitude in the jet forcing systems up the western side of greenland

* Pole at 192 to see whether the GFS persists with the cross polar low height anomaly or whether it builds heights across the pole like the wave2 scenario painted by ECM -

S

• Like 2

Posted

The 12z gfs keeps the vortex in one piece throughout the run and the warming is not as significant as previous runs. Let's hope it is not a trend.

Karyo

Posted

The 12z gfs keeps the vortex in one piece throughout the run and the warming is not as significant as previous runs. Let's hope it is not a trend.

Karyo

you mean the parallel run cos the normal 12z run was a close to a dream run for coldies!

Posted

I haven't seen anyone link to the NOAA FIM model - they have nice animations, out to +336, of the stratosphere and include flux and ozone mixing options.

Menu for NH is new Arctic option.

http://fim.noaa.gov/FIM/Welcome.cgi?dsKey=fim_jet&domain=201&run_time=10+Nov+2014+-+00Z

• Like 5

Posted

A case of 'steady away' this morning given latest guidance. Obviously what is going on down in the troposphere may well have an impact on the strat, especially if we can get this blocking high to the N and NW of the UK over Greenland, but as Ed mentioned numerous days ago, it's a waiting game. The significant SAI index this year and given Cohens work, which SK summarised brilliantly this past weekend, may well mean we have to put up some 'close but no cigar' scenarios before we get anything of worth. In a way my thoughts haven't changed and I don't think we'll see anything of worth until December. However, given the state of the strat and how things are developing then Cohens SAI timeline may well need bringing forward as January and February, whilst potentially very interesting months, may well be the icing on the cake, after we've had a good taste of 'said cake' in December, if you know what I mean...

Few charts of interest this morning...

http://users.met.fu-berlin.de/~Aktuell/strat-www/wdiag/figs/ecmwf1/ecmwfzm_ha2_f240.gif

http://users.met.fu-berlin.de/~Aktuell/strat-www/wdiag/figs/ecmwf1/ecmwfzm_ha1_f216.gif

http://users.met.fu-berlin.de/~Aktuell/strat-www/wdiag/figs/ecmwf1/ecmwfzm_ta1_f240.gif

http://users.met.fu-berlin.de/~Aktuell/strat-www/wdiag/figs/ecmwf1/ecmwf30f240.gif

http://users.met.fu-berlin.de/~Aktuell/strat-www/wdiag/figs/ecmwf1/ecmwf50f240.gif

https://max.nwstatic.co.uk/gfsimages/gfs.20141110/00/348/npst30.png

Again, steady away really, nothing too significant, but the signals are not going the other way either. A case of remembering 2009 and 2010 in terms of having to put up with some wet and windy weather before things develop with time, clearly these years quite an extreme example, but I have a feeling it could well be similar this year, the 'Winter Is Over' posts may well become ever frequent by late November, but with then a quick and interesting change in conditions as December progresses.

Regards, Matt.

Just wanted to say Matt I look forward to your summaries each morning! We have Gibby doing his on the Mod thread and you doing them here for the Strat. Brilliant! Keep it up :clapping:

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, cold winters, plus anything 'interesting'

Folks - just wanted to say hi. I found this thread fascinating last year, but failed to contribute. Hope to put that right this season. I'm intrigued by the sheer scale of the processes wrestled with here, as well as potentially the ability to get some insights into what winter has in store for us. I note we're off to a cracking start, with the Met Office seemingly standing firmly behind its 'warm, wet and windy' prediction, in some contrast to views expressed here.

tyfelin

• Like 4

Posted

Welcome along to NetWx Tyfelin.

WSI just posted up a very healthy looking ECM mean which speaks for itself wrt Wave 1 activity, would be nice to see 30mb too..

attachicon.gifWSI.PNGattachicon.gifB2FWNc3IYAAUtu_.png

Thank you, Lorenzo. Here's the blog that goes with the tweet.

http://www.wsi.com/blog/energy/it-might-be-time-to-start-monitoring-the-stratosphere/

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Thanks, a nice write up from Mike, they are at real odds over there at the moment where in some quarters any cold outbreak is tagged up as the 'Polar Vortex' due to the frenzy of last year. Hopefully this blog will go some way to correct this. Also importantly distinguishes that this is not SSW, rather Wave 1 displacement event. We have seen hints of split during October and in outer reaches of FI however not quite there yet.

I think AER may have tweeted that this is the most significant SAI since monitoring of index created in 97,  if not Top 3 as per Mike's in house guide then could even smash in at number one on the index. The odds are this delivers at least one month of highly negative AO within a mean negative DJF.

For the years in question -

post-7292-0-67117300-1415640617_thumb.pnpost-7292-0-16177100-1415640656_thumb.pn

This year

post-7292-0-35920000-1415640618_thumb.gi

Also here are the Wave 1 and 2 for the preceding OND to go along with the years featured in the blog- gives you a great idea of how exceptional 2009 was and links to the SSW's the following January.

post-7292-0-30707200-1415640712_thumb.gipost-7292-0-07070200-1415640713_thumb.gi

http://curriculum.pmartineau.webfactional.com/wp-content/svw_gallery/test/gif/2010_01_30.gif

post-7292-0-98890600-1415640725_thumb.gipost-7292-0-92187900-1415640726_thumb.gi

http://curriculum.pmartineau.webfactional.com/wp-content/svw_gallery/test/gif/2013_01_17.gif

• Like 8