Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Stratosphere Temperature Watch 2014/2015

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

When was the last November to match this one in terms of our wave action.

• Like 1

Posted

As far as I remember in November 2010 there was only a bit of tropospheric-lead wave breaking yet we saw the polar vortex absolutely destroyed for 3 weeks. I think Chiono mentioned in the past the location, not the quantity, of the wave breaking was important and it happened over the Greenland area?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking low pressure in winter. Hot and thundery in the summer

Here is the strat thread from 2009 if that helps :

https://forum.netweather.tv/topic/57364-stratosphere-temperature-watch/

Well iv just ready the first 6 pages of the 2009 thread and it's amazing to watch events unfold and the excitement of GP and chinomaniac grow , certainly chiono's silence last year was enough in itself that it was a no goer . Things looking very good this year and very similar to 09 , have a really good feeling this year folks .

• Like 5

Posted

Yesterday's ECM is showing the warming high up at day 10. Whether it can sustain itself into high resolution on the gfs output is now the question. even if it wanes somewhat, it will still affect the upper vortex re strengthening.

Posted

Best projected upper strat warmings yet on the last two runs...

post-5114-0-08804300-1415171514_thumb.gi

post-5114-0-21018600-1415171509_thumb.gi

Could we be looking at a growing CW?

Long way out of course but even a more watered down version is great news as the pv will not be allowed a chance to gain a foothold at a time of year we would relly expect to see it starting to dominate proceedings

This is a pretty healthy chart as well for the time of year...

post-5114-0-38157000-1415171691_thumb.gi

If the GFS is right about the warming, I can see some eye popping versions of D10 in about a week's time

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

Problem with the ECM is that in the mid strat, the vortex gets stretched but then seems to regain strength right at the end of the run wheras the GFS just continues to stretch the vortex.

ecmwf10f192.gif

ecmwf10f216.gif

ecmwf10f240.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Frost and snow. A quiet autumn day is also good.

That's not good. They are seeing a pretty northerly storm track and a Euro/omega high in the latter half of the winter - if I read that right. Not the high lat or scandy blocking we crave!

Posted

Instead of posting only model outputs, I decided to do something else. I have plotted linear correlation between November N. Hemisphere snowcover area and geopotential height in mid and lower strat. This isnt really any new info, but just it is interesting and it kinda supports the SAI theory. 

I am not going to go into the theory of linear correlations, unless a lot of people wouldn't know what its about. 

The correlation at 100mb is pretty straightforward, with the wave2-ish look to it, with the difference that instead of the usual Atl-Pac waves, we have more of a Eur/As-Pac combination. 

r100.png

In the mid strat, the correlation is there for decent wave activity, with more of a wave2 feel to it, but at least a strong wave 1. 

r30.png r10.png

And the 500mb correlation, which is not that far from the reality this month. 

r500.png gefsz500anh41.png gefsz500anh59.png

Ending off with a GFS Para output. 

10.png 30.png

Yours truly, 

Andrew.

• Like 9

Posted

Worth a mention....

post-15767-0-82547500-1415211583_thumb.j

Edited by MattHugo
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm, bright summers and Cold, snowy winters

Yes, a bit of a kick in the teeth but what will be will be.

It's a forecast and a long ranged one.

Doesn't mean it's going to be correct in the slightest it just means there is a possibility.

• Like 1

Posted

Are you trying to depress us???

Yes, a bit of a kick in the teeth but what will be will be.

Am i missing something here?

The blog is suggesting a weakening of the jetstream and more chance of blocking and colder weather as we head for December thanks to an Asian strat warming.

"Nevertheless, it hints that we may progressively see a trend to a weather pattern offering something colder as we move towards December."

• Like 8

Posted

It's a forecast and a long ranged one.

Doesn't mean it's going to be correct in the slightest it just means there is a possibility.

Obviously no-one is saying it will be correct!  It would have been better if they were going for a cold Winter though and I don't think they have a bad track record with their Winter LRF's either.  Not in any way saying they will be correct though.

Am i missing something here?

The blog is suggesting a weakening of the jetstream and more chance of blocking and colder weather as we head for December thanks to an Asian strat warming.

"Nevertheless, it hints that we may progressively see a trend to a weather pattern offering something colder as we move towards December."

It suggests cold shots for the UK and Ireland early Winter and then average to milder than average more likely later on?  However, even if their forecast does end up close to the mark, it's still likely to be a more interesting Winter than last year.