Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Stratosphere Temperature Watch 2014/2015

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, cold winters, plus anything 'interesting'

Hi guys. I'm struggling to interpret the Wave 1 and 2 charts as posted by Matt and Recretos. They're charting some function of the wave in space (geopotential surface x latitude), but it can't be simple amplitude, or you wouldn't need the third set of coordinates, represented by the colour. If this is written down someplace, just point me?

Tyfelin

Posted

post day 10 gfs strat output is relocating the vortex to the canadian side - greenland locale. wonder if this will actually verify. seems consistent.

the warming at 10hpa in fi is also lsoing some intensity at the end of week 2 and on the op is headed towards pacific whils the parallel retains more intensity and still over asia.

the intensity at the very top is maintained. i wonder if the ecm ens are still as bullish as a few days ago?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes

be interesting to see ba as the ecm has already back tracked massively in the model outputs.

and the gfs has really held its own just recently.

Posted

Is that good or bad? :fool:

It's neither. It's a trace signal of possible wave activity from the GFS para for 16 days away.

So it should be taken cautiously but with significant interest in watching if it develops into reality. Caution required until it's within 7 day limit.

With all the possible factors in play these next 4 weeks is lining up to be a very special phase in the stratosphere.

Edited by KyleHenry

Posted

Is that good or bad? :fool:

Who knows, its the GFS@384 hours. I   remember last 'winter'  and the good strat charts were always at 384 hours GFS or 240 hours ECM and they never got any closer.... I do hope this winter is very different.

• Like 1

Posted

What's everyone's thoughts on the likelyhood and timing of a possible major warming? With the ENSO heading towards an El Nino phase, the easterly QBO and the relatively low solar flux I would hazard a guess at a Christmas SSW.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, cold winters, plus anything 'interesting'

Hi Recretos,

Thanks for going to that trouble. Those earlier graphics paint a vivid picture of wave 1 and 2. There's lot to pore over there, infant.

I can quite easily visualise the wave(s) when represented by the height of a geopotential surface distributed in space. It was specifically the FU Berlin Mean Zonal Wind charts for Wave 1 and 2 that I was perplexed by. What does the shading indicate? What are the units highlighted?

Sorry guys. Probably a dumb question. First in a long and illustrious line of such, no doubt.

Tyfelin

Posted

A stark reminder of how bad things looked 11 months ago from one of the links posted above by Recretos

post-5114-0-45859800-1415829609_thumb.jp

A W-QBO and a just a bit of a breeze blowing at the top levels!!! I think it got even stronger still at some point as well.

I'm not saying we won't see the zonal winds pipe up for periods as we head deeper into winter, we will of course, but I'm very hopeful we won't see the likes of >40ms winds at the 30mb level too many times because of the QBO phase.

• Like 3

Posted

Not sure how to add to what Matt and Recretos have already put other than yesterday's ECM Strat output was very easy on the eye!

I get the distinct impression we are looking at a classic waxing and waning wave2 this early-mid winter, increasing in strength.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.

You bloomin' earlybirds!! Great to see. Difference here between 2009/10 splits is that this appears to be the angle of wave 2 attack - It may still leave a segment of vortex that is Atlantic based - leaving the UK in SWesterlies!

• Like 6

Posted

Thanks for the charts and info as per usual Andrew. Having support from the GEFS in particular is impressive. I'll see if I can get an EC ENS vomparison for 240hr.

M

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

You guys get up earlier every day ! Hell, will add in the heat flux chart, don't think it's up yet.

Nice set of charts this morning and the third time in less than 20 days there has been an advertised split vortex, that's moving steadily from anomaly to trend. Agree SK time to twitter WSI to see what they have got..

post-7292-0-48643600-1415865616_thumb.gi

• Like 5

Posted

You bloomin' earlybirds!! Great to see. Difference here between 2009/10 splits is that this appears to be the angle of wave 2 attack - It may still leave a segment of vortex that is Atlantic based - leaving the UK in SWesterlies!

Chino can you give us all a heads up if you see signs of wave 2 opening a path for a CW event.

Thanks in advance

There are some other big differences with 2009/10 regarding the structure of the vortex which may restrict comparison to an extent.

This year like last we have a compact core -http://ozonewatch.gsfc.nasa.gov/meteorology/figures/merra/pv/mpvwean_850_2014_merra.pdf

the vorticity defining the vortex edge is on the high side - http://ozonewatch.gsfc.nasa.gov/meteorology/figures/merra/pv/mpvwen_850_2014_merra.pdf

with record high maximum vorticity for this time - http://ozonewatch.gsfc.nasa.gov/meteorology/figures/merra/pv/mpvmaxn_850_2014_merra.pdf

Early season 2009 had a record large vortex core - http://ozonewatch.gsfc.nasa.gov/meteorology/figures/merra/pv/mpvwean_850_2009_merra.pdf

with weak edge vorticity - http://ozonewatch.gsfc.nasa.gov/meteorology/figures/merra/pv/mpvwen_850_2009_merra.pdf

and lower than average maximum vorticity - http://ozonewatch.gsfc.nasa.gov/meteorology/figures/merra/pv/mpvmaxn_850_2009_merra.pdf

So 2009/10 was weak and flabby early on, with an SSW in the second half of the winter only after the vortex had managed to strengthen to around normal during mid-winter. From a UK perspective it is perhaps worth noting that the coldest conditions were prior to the SSW.

• Like 6