Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire and Lincolnshire - Weather Chat

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms

Anybody spotted this for Friday night?

nmmuk-1-72-0.png?27-07

Marginal but could add to any decent totals that we receive from the snow showers!

Saw that this morning yes, just waiting for 6z NMM to update but I think the track of this is likely to change.

Posted

Don't know about you lot, but I'm forecast thundersnow on Friday night, just saying... :p

post-6447-0-25754700-1422357260_thumb.jp

Edited by vizzy2004
  • Like 3

Posted

Saw that this morning yes, just waiting for 6z NMM to update but I think the track of this is likely to change.

Yes one to watch. GFS and ECM have it to east of us so no precipitation. GEM further west whereas the NAVGEM and UKMO over us. Hopefully the last two closer to the mark. Its marginal although night should help!

NAVGEM

navgemfr-2-72.png?27-11

UKMO

P1_GZ_D5_PN_072_0000.gif

GEM

gemfr-2-78.png?00

ECM

150127_0000_78.png

GFS

69-574UK.GIF?27-6

Edited by Mark Bayley
  • Like 1

Posted

Yes one to watch. GFS and ECM have it to east of us so no precipitation. GEM further west whereas the NAVGEM and UKMO over us. Hopefully the last two closer to the mark. Its marginal although night should help!

Will track this on the short Hi res models from here on in. Tomorrow afternoon onwards just a case of radar watching. Friday and Saturday look marginal then Sunday it turns much colder but could be a "wishbone job" unless we see some troughs/disturbances. Plenty to learn from over the next week.

Posted

Will track this on the short Hi res models from here on in. Tomorrow afternoon onwards just a case of radar watching. Friday and Saturday look marginal then Sunday it turns much colder but could be a "wishbone job" unless we see some troughs/disturbances. Plenty to learn from over the next week.

Yes, especially as we get closer to the time. Should come in range of the NAE by Wednesday. Marginal towards the coasts. Should precipitation hit higher ground then perhaps a decent, although small, snow event. Agree about the wishbone effect. Looks dry away from the coastal fringes, although given the depth of the cold troughs and disturbances can't be ruled out. I think the great aspect of this spell is if any of us get some decent accumulations over the coming days then they should last until the middle/end of the next week.

Edited by Mark Bayley

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme weather

Think with the troughs moving down the country we should all see some decent accumulations especially across the pennines. I wouldn't rule out upto 10-15cms.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Border of N.Yorks / W.Yorks / Lancashire - 350m asl
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but Rain!

Metoffice warning updated, extended further south to include all our region, with the exception of central and southern Lincolnshire

Also increased the totals expected for our region as well, was 2-5cm now its 3-8cm.

Text also says they will be issuing an Amber nearer the time for Central and Southern Scotland, wouldn't be that shocked if we end up being close to that one when its issued.

Posted

Where in our region is the best place for snow in terms of frequency and volumes?  I know camped at the top of Holme Moss is probably a good bet but which village / town are best placed for snow?

Also, does anyone have an example of historic weather patterns that mirror what is expected on Wednesday and Thursday.  It would be good to gauge what is possible in such scenarios.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lots of snow, lots of hot sun

Where in our region is the best place for snow in terms of frequency and volumes?  I know camped at the top of Holme Moss is probably a good bet but which village / town are best placed for snow?

Also, does anyone have an example of historic weather patterns that mirror what is expected on Wednesday and Thursday.  It would be good to gauge what is possible in such scenarios.

Just taking this particular set up and you're looking at western Pennine districts, so try Queensbury, Mountain, Ovenden, A640 Buckstones, A62 Carriage House pub, just to name a few spots that often do well.

Posted

I would say the village of Greenhow Hill in the southern part of the Yorkshire Dales. Its the highest village in our region (i think) and sits around 400-420m asl. Whenever theres a cold westerly and I'm snow starved I always head up there. Snow will not be marginal up there over the coming days and there will be significant drifting. Because of the westerly dominated pattern so far this I would say here has been the snowiest village so far this winter. The second question unfortunately I cannot answer.

Posted

Metoffice warning updated, extended further south to include all our region, with the exception of central and southern Lincolnshire 

that would be about right, lol

• Like 1

Posted

Thank you both.  I have friends who live near Shelf and they always seem to get a lot of snow.  In the more recent snowfalls they had a good 6-8 inches compared to my couple of cms so I'd expect them to be bragging again in the next few days!

Posted

If snow is forecast to fall at 6.30pm tomorrow I expect to see Look North broadcasting live from either the highest pub in England (Tan Shelf or Hill - can't remember!?) or the highest primary school in England near Queensbury somewhere.......

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but Rain!

Thank you both.  I have friends who live near Shelf and they always seem to get a lot of snow.  In the more recent snowfalls they had a good 6-8 inches compared to my couple of cms so I'd expect them to be bragging again in the next few days!

Yeah Shelf is very similar to Queensbury in terms of snow fall, but Queensbury usually gets a bit more as its a bit higher up. The western Bradford Postcodes have some great areas for snow fall.

Posted

Latest NMM for Thursday night/Friday morning follows GFS AND ECM with that blob of precip wasted out to sea :(

nmmuk-1-69-0.png?27-14

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat and Snow

paul hudson will say 'snow over the hills, with a wintry mix at low levels' :D

• Like 2

Posted

paul hudson will say 'snow over the hills, with a wintry mix at low levels' :D

As always, doesn't make anything other than a generic prediction.  I suppose a 2 minute slot on a news bulletin that covers the pennines across to the east coast resorts and everything in between it is difficult to get details.

Posted

Latest NMM for Thursday night/Friday morning follows GFS AND ECM with that blob of precip wasted out to sea :(

nmmuk-1-69-0.png?27-14

mmmm and Barnsley is smack in the middle of the white bit  :nonono:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold! Winter :)

Well we're not far away now, plenty of snow to come for most of us looking at latest forecast and warnings. Its good to see it increased in severity.

Just look at the drop off in temps Wednesday morning, from 8c to 3c in two hours! Thats some cold front. I love seeing real weather smacking us in the face, great stuff :D The wind chill kicks in big time too!

post-19114-0-64460500-1422368741_thumb.j

Some nice heavy snow Weds evening showing.

Then as we go into Thursday, it could be a very tricky rush hour, maybe even schools closed again a bit like last Wednesday. Heavy snow shown for a good few hours:

post-19114-0-38551600-1422368809_thumb.j

Lets hope the showers do pack in and we wake up to a very good level of snow. Im looking forward to seeing what drifts we can get up my way.

Cant wait now for this, looks like staying cold into next week too with hard frosts so what we get we should keep for a while too hopefully :cold: :cold:

Posted

Just look at the drop off in temps Wednesday morning, from 8c to 3c in two hours! Thats some cold front. 

What's the likelihood of the cold front producing hail and thunder as it passes through?