Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire and Lincolnshire - Weather Chat

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and hot sunny weather.

Can anyone explain either if these?

1. How come there's freezing fog at airport but not here!? We're high up and only 10mins away and

2. I thought it was forecast to be sub zero tonight but the temp won't fall under 0.4c. Why isn't it falling.... Especially with snow cover and 142 asl.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny (hate hot), severe thunderstorms, heavy snow, extreme cold

Can anyone explain either if these?

1. How come there's freezing fog at airport but not here!? We're high up and only 10mins away and

2. I thought it was forecast to be sub zero tonight but the temp won't fall under 0.4c. Why isn't it falling.... Especially with snow cover and 142 asl.

I think it's to do with humidity. The temperature drops then the water condenses out of it dissipating heat into the atmosphere.

Posted

Altitude was key today....I have 3 inches outside my house, but virtually nothing a 5 minute WALK down the road...(And i'm not even at the highest elevation...)

Posted

Altitude was key today....I have 3 inches outside my house, but virtually nothing a 5 minute WALK down the road...(And i'm not even at the highest elevation...)

I reckon that's about right. Had sleet most of the day in York.

Great pictures from you all. Of course i am jealous but it looks marvellous. York's day will come!

Hopefully this year...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold! Winter :)

well im sure were getting more now you know. Radar shows a good bit of snow round Leeds area now, unless its a radar shadow. And also some decent intensity showers seem to be on a trajectory for Sheffield from the SE.

Dont be surprised if you wake up to another covering in the morning in south and west yorkshire :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Sunny Days - Snow - Warm, Dry Days, Thunderstorms

I'll grab a thickness reading in the morning when I go out to clear the car off.

It's been snowing almost constant for over 24 hours now, so it should be a decent depth (still snowing now too!)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and hot sunny weather.

If anyone's about please could someone explain to me what it is that makes the Azores high so dominant in the same place so frequently!

Is it the warm waters!?

And so if Greenland had more land and less snow would that increase chances of higher pressure there? Because for some reason low heights love that locale also!

Thanks......

Posted

If anyone's about please could someone explain to me what it is that makes the Azores high so dominant in the same place so frequently!

Is it the warm waters!?

And so if Greenland had more land and less snow would that increase chances of higher pressure there? Because for some reason low heights love that locale also!

Thanks......

Hi Adam

Not sure whether you read the model output thread but Tamara has put a good post in this afternoon (doesnt she always!) explaining it a little. The problem is its always going to be there as its a semi-permanent sub tropical high. Its all just a dice roll as to whether it helps us or hinders us at any one time.

As for Greenland, thats a strange one, as another high pressure, the Siberian high, is formed in winter months because of the cold and snow, so youd think the same would happen in greenland? Its all very complex and i dont understand it all yet but thats the wonderful Earth and its global patterns! :p

Edited by Winter Cold

Posted

It's very quiet in here. Looks like everyone is exhausted!!!

haha i think more just upset that its all melting tomorrow and being washed away :(

weve spent the last few days chasing this cold spell and now its over too quickly. Theres some interest for later next week again so things may pick up in here again if something cold does firm up!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms

Not gonna be alot to discuss snowwise over the next 10 days, models hinting at a possible Northerly towards day 10 which some places may see some snow from but nothing widespread. Hopefully something unexpected will pop up soon to get this thread buzzing again. Also I feel that East Yorkshire and Lincolnshire could do with a good dumping just to even the snow distribution out.

• Like 3

Posted

Not gonna be alot to discuss snowwise over the next 10 days, models hinting at a possible Northerly towards day 10 which some places may see some snow from but nothing widespread. Hopefully something unexpected will pop up soon to get this thread buzzing again. Also I feel that East Yorkshire and Lincolnshire could do with a good dumping just to even the snow distribution out.

It certainly would as we have not had a covering of snow for nearly 2 years. A potent northerly would be great for areas east of the A1. I honestly can't remember the last time a true northerly happened, always something kept out in Lala land on the models.

• Like 1

Posted

Don't forget York! Two years ago the snowline stalled at Selby, This year it seemed to be Tadcaster. It's getting closer!

But i didn't think my location does that well out of a northerly. The Wolds could be cut off though. Pocklington even though it's only 15mile away always seems to get snow from which ever direction.

Posted

Still got snow patches on the ground here. Tempreature is around 3c it was really cold in the wind earlier! It ain't been a bad winter so far up this End.

Posted

yes still plenty up here too, was still -2c at 11am this morning. Its still deep on the grass and the piles of snow are still big. Im hoping/watching so see if it can survive tonights rain. Later in the night it turns cold with ice warning out again so it may harden up a bit again.

We might not have to wait long for more either if tonights models are anything to go by :) Lets hope the decent winter continues!

• Like 1

Posted

Don't forget York! Two years ago the snowline stalled at Selby, This year it seemed to be Tadcaster. It's getting closer!

But i didn't think my location does that well out of a northerly. The Wolds could be cut off though. Pocklington even though it's only 15mile away always seems to get snow from which ever direction.

Yes poor York has had a tough time recently. With regards to Northerlies growing up in York I always remember I would always catch remains of showers or just miss out whilst places like Pocklington, Stamford Bridge and Malton got hammered, if York is to see anything then the wind needs an easterly element to it just to push those showers an extra bit inland. The further east you go from York then the less land the showers have to track over so have less time to peter out. 

post-6447-0-44591800-1422036607_thumb.pn

This pic shows my fustration from Northerly topplers or a short strong Northerly from when I was in York, occasionally there would be disturbances or the flow would turn more North east which would deliver snow. Looking at the models currently then the northerlies been shown around day 9 I would use the above map as my forecast. Of course this is a rough guidance and any disturbances could throw up surprises anywhere over our region.

h850t850eu.png

The best chart Ive seen so far with regards to snow for our region was from the control run this morning.

gens-0-1-216.png

The above chart would see snow showers pushed well inland with places further west than York getting in on the snow action. Fingers crossed for a banging Northerly next weekend. Cheers,

• Like 5

Posted

Still some snow around the higher elevations of Sheffield and in a few sheltered spots around me. It has however mostly gone now. Heres some pictures from the other day. Looks like the net cold spell is not so far away. Some back edge snow Wednesday (GFS)? Maybe not. A cold N/NW-erly should allow for an increasing risk of snow showers as we head towards and into the weekend. Thereafter the potential for winds to swing north easterly (and potential slider). A much better opportunity for those so far starved of snow, although greater marginality near the coast Pictures taken on Wednesday and Thursday. All pictures are from Creswell Derbyshire, whereas the one of the tram stop is in Sheffield (note how much more so with elevation)

post-6181-0-04186300-1422108152_thumb.jp

post-6181-0-29504200-1422108154_thumb.jp

post-6181-0-38154500-1422108243_thumb.jp

post-6181-0-25209100-1422108245_thumb.jp

post-6181-0-41331100-1422108247_thumb.jp

post-6181-0-22140000-1422108249_thumb.jp

post-6181-0-07603800-1422108251_thumb.jp

post-6181-0-76875100-1422108252_thumb.jp

post-6181-0-86279700-1422108254_thumb.jp

post-6181-0-66106900-1422108256_thumb.jp

post-6181-0-75994000-1422108258_thumb.jp

Edited by Mark Bayley
  • Like 2

Posted

Thanks for the pics Mark. Yes Sheffield did very well, I had plenty and its why ill always live high up! Still piles of it now up here. As you say, its looking like we wont have to wait long for more :D

Bring it on. If it does materialise as predicted then this winter will go down as decent to good i think for me. Thats probably IMBY but so far ive had deep snow on Boxing day for a few days, and then this week for a few days!

I want the pattern to set up so that more people get some snow. At least if we get a northerly phase then those to the east may get some snow/showers this time to end their drought. I hope so :)

Im looking forward to the chase this week.....

• Like 1

Posted

Wednesday, at least according to the GFS, looks another opportunity. Although back edge snow during the day isn't the best scenario. Snow showers Wednesday night and into Thursday morning looking more ideal. Hopefully provide a little interest more widely, although noting significant for our region. I note the GFS shows another slider on Sunday. Third time lucky (for Sheffield)..? :p

Edited by Mark Bayley
  • Like 1

Posted

Ill be watching Weds closely then. Would be nice but not certain yet. Id also take another slider, perhaps that can be more widespread than this weeks attempt too..

I think maybe Sheffield will get its 3rd fall soon lol... :p

• Like 1

Posted

Wednesday looks very familiar with the PM blasts that weve seen so many of this winter, favoured areas being upland western areas but not exclusively as the uppers look pretty decent (-6/-7c) so even lower spots could get a covering especially overnight into Thursday with the heavier showers. Yorkshire Dales, Pennines, and western NYM will most likely to see accumulating snowfall. Cant be bothered getting caught up in the ups and downs of the model thread, tonighs ECM is encouraging but the coldest uppers don't arrive till 192 hours and if you view models daily that is a long time away, lets focus on the PM blast midweek and the threat of some more snow in places and then worry about the possible Northerly afterwards.