Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire and Lincolnshire - Weather Chat

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Very cold/sunny, Snow, Hot/Thunderstorms

Wednesday night into Thursday could be interesting with plenty of snow showers although possibly not getting as far inland as Barnsley. Friday night into weekend turning much colder after a slightly less cold Friday. Snow chances are never great for inland areas in a straight Northerly so hope for bands of showers to move down the country so inland areas can see snow as well as coasts, which should do quite well this coming weekend.

Edited by SouthYorks
  • Like 1

Posted

Oh dear I've completely set off the North West forum for suggesting it to be wintry rather than snowy, with a risk of rain towards the coast, as per the met office warning.

Seems some can't have a reasonable discussion without resorting to digs.  

And its funny how the thread that continually worships the computer generated BBC/Meto five day forecasts are now completely disregarded for showing rain.

Its nice on this thread we have reasoned discussions on why we think certain conditions will occur without silly digs just because we aren't all singing from the same tune.

Edited by Cheese Rice
  • Like 3

Posted

Oh dear I've completely set off the North West forum for suggesting it to be wintry rather than snowy, with a risk of rain towards the coast, as per the met office warning.

Seems some can't have a reasonable discussion without resorting to digs.  

And its funny how the thread that continually worships the computer generated BBC/Meto five day forecasts are now completely disregarded for showing rain.

Its nice on this thread we have reasoned discussions on why we think certain conditions will occur without silly digs just because we aren't all singing from the same tune.

Stay in here pal & you'll be fine. Cheers.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Very cold/sunny, Snow, Hot/Thunderstorms

It's because we are Yorkshire folk!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme weather

I think once we see the rainband move through our region weds morning we should see things become much colder with snow showers as we head into afternoon early evening. Then looks like a unstable trough moves through on Thursday bringing us further snowfall. Which will freeze hard and should last well into the weekend. My thoughts are well in advance of 15cm for the hills with lower levels seeing at least 3-5cm

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer Sunshine / Winter Snow

I think once we see the rainband move through our region weds morning we should see things become much colder with snow showers as we head into afternoon early evening. Then looks like a unstable trough moves through on Thursday bringing us further snowfall. Which will freeze hard and should last well into the weekend. My thoughts are well in advance of 15cm for the hills with lower levels seeing at least 3-5cm

You feeling ok Terrier?! Only joking mate!

I agree that this thread is the best when it comes to the good natured feel of the discussion.

Even though I only moved to Yorkshire 5 years ago myself, I think Yorkshire folk are the friendliest bunch around and this thread is a credit to that.

It's looking good for our region late Wednesday and into Thursday and again at the weekend, more especially for North and West Yorkshire but I am hopeful the entire region can get involved in some snowy action between now and this time next week!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy

We're down in the valley these days ( 110m asl) so I'm thinking it'll be a pretty 'watch' but i'm not sure just how much I ought to expect to settle? The last event just put 2 or 3 cm down here but it was over 30cm just 70m further up the Hill ( didn't go any higher but it must have been proper thick , with drifting, up there). 

Advised the Mrs that she may be on the Bus come thurs morning ( not a fan of snow driving and her work is at least 70m higher than here) so a part of me wants another big event! I also found that clearing the deck whilst the snow is still soft fetches it up a treat!!!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Sunny Days - Snow - Warm, Dry Days, Thunderstorms

starting to get busy in here again :)

it'll be even busier weds/thurs and onwards. 

Stay safe and be prepared people  :cold:   :cold:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat and Snow

yep yorkshire folk are the nicest people in the world that's a fact. This cold spell looks even better than the last one, and could be more prolonged.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Border of N.Yorks / W.Yorks / Lancashire - 350m asl
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but Rain!
  • Location: Border of N.Yorks / W.Yorks / Lancashire - 350m asl

Also the text has changed, they are thinking this is going to deliver a lot of snow, just maybe not on the North of England. They are thinking Scotland and Northern Ireland is going to get it.

Edited by cowdog

Posted

Glad to see the meto cover the whole of our region and to an extent the North Midlands. Lots of heavy snow shower potential. Although the nature of showers means some will wake up to dusting while others 3-5cm+! Thereafter remaining cold with further snow opportunities Friday and early next week. 6z looks best for long term cold (and keeping any snow)  with potential for further opportunities (GEM, to an extent, also) whereas the ECM suggests milder from mid next week

Also the text has changed, they are thinking this is going to deliver a lot of snow, just maybe not on the North of England. They are thinking Scotland and Northern Ireland is going to get it.

They are better situated for snow showers. Thats not to say we can't do well!

Edited by Mark Bayley

Posted

Happy to see this :) could an AMBER warning be issued? hmmm time will tell. according to frosty in model thread he thinks an amber warning could be issued for some areas.

Yellow warning of snow

Issued at: 
1036 on Mon 26 Jan 2015

Valid from: 
0900 on Wed 28 Jan 2015

Valid to: 
2355 on Thu 29 Jan 2015

A cold and increasingly showery northwesterly flow is expected to develop during Wednesday and last through Thursday.

Accumulating snow is likely away from windward coastal districts, especially overnight.

Across Northern England 3-6 cm could accumulate especially over high ground.

Over Scotland and Northern Ireland 5-10 cm is likely even at low levels,

with more than 10 cm over high ground.

Strong and gusty winds will likely accompany snow showers,

and lead to significantly reduced visibility at times,

difficult driving conditions and temporary blizzards over high ground.

Posted

The snow as more or less just melted here.Looking good for Yorkshire again exciting times !!!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn days and foggy nights

Good afternoon Yorks and Lincs people!

Just been into the model thread and quickly jumped back out!

Prefer to stay on here.....

Ha ha.

There's some freaking out ongoing in that thread!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme weather

Good afternoon folks. Well it looks like little old yorkshire may just see some good snowfalls from Wednesday onwards. Think 10cm isn't out of the question reading latest met update. Think the gritter drivers are gonna be busy again later this week.

• Like 1

Posted

Ha ha ha the Met O are much more confident about this than our last 2, makes me a bit nervous I don't know why lol

• Like 2

Posted

Just had a browse on Facebook....well the words out everybody commenting about the LARGE amount of snow we are going to get...lets face it 6cm is a large amount if you are half my age  :D  Im still disappointed if I dont open the back door to a wall of snow !   

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW

A lot of people getting too excited about a f/cast similar to 2 previous 'severe winter period' ones...which downgraded with every update and bombed for most of us, just think back to the 80's when all we had to go on was a newspaper report in the morning, a TV f/cast after the news and looking out of the window...happy days...

• Like 1

Posted

Yorkshire Region

An active cold front is expected to push southeast across the UK during Wednesday, introducing an increasingly cold and unstable air mass. Showers will become frequent and heavy,  falling as snow and driven well inland by strong to gale force northwesterly winds

:yahoo::cold::yahoo::cold:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms

Wowzers, GFS 6z is aBOOM and a east coast snow lovers dream, Northerly from Sunday all the way to Wednesday with shortwaves involved and cold uppers. Will be gone on the 12z... but not had a ramp for a while, that would certainly even us easties out for you snow hoggin westies :p Hopefully we all get smashed (by snow)  :yahoo:

Edited by vizzy2004
  • Like 1

Posted

i cant get to excited, the last cold spell was a damp chilly squib, cant see this one being any different, the favoured spots im sure will get snow but i think down here will miss out again.