Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire and Lincolnshire - Weather Chat

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Frost Sun

True, but I'm at 86m ASL and we have a few cm - around 2-3 inches I'd say.

You don't have to go much higher for a good covering around here, just to other side of town up at Kimberworth which is only about 3 to 400ft asl and it's a different world to here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold! Winter :)

Look at all the sleet and snow over Norfolk atm! That was never forecast at all as far as is know?  It is heading NW too, as can be seen by a little clump ahead of it. Looks like it will have our name on it. Hope it survives!

A good example of get the cold in and then little features appear :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW

So W+S.Yorks and Derbyshire have tons of snow...while the rest of us can only dream of such conditions, someone mentioned that Paul Hudson said 'snow on hills, rain/sleet elsewhere'...which is exactly right, all of you posting about snow are around 100m asl or above...well for your information that is a hill, quite a big one, in marginal sutuations 30m can be the difference...all we've had over here on the flat land is rain/sleet...so be thankful for your hills...

• Like 1

Posted

So W+S.Yorks and Derbyshire have tons of snow...while the rest of us can only dream of such conditions, someone mentioned that Paul Hudson said 'snow on hills, rain/sleet elsewhere'...which is exactly right, all of you posting about snow are around 100m asl or above...well for your information that is a hill, quite a big one, in marginal sutuations 30m can be the difference...all we've had over here on the flat land is rain/sleet...so be thankful for your hills...

I share your pain mate. Most of my family live in the Wakefield area and have plenty of snow apparently. Here in GRimsby we have had rain, sleet and sizzle. Let's hope February delivers for us in the east.

Posted

Yeah Paul Hudson forecasted the weather pretty well, he also said the heavy precipitation could nudge further north into West Yorkshire, which it did. Spot on. For proper accumulations elevation was needed, simple, just 2miles from me there is hardly any snow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

The forecast was for a potential phase of snow over high ground during this spell of weather, especially over the areas youve highlighted, lowland snowwas not expected to be significant.....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

A hill can be a hill at 50m ASL, but 100m is not really significant elevation - it's pretty standard for cities like Leeds and Sheffield. 'Snow on hills' implies snow on the hills.. you know.. the Pennines, not major cities.

Edited by cheese
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat and Snow

Its always going to be more marginal if you live near the coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Frost Sun

A hill can be a hill at 50m ASL, but 100m is not really significant elevation - it's pretty standard for cities like Leeds and Sheffield. 'Snow on hills' implies snow on the hills.. you know.. the Pennines, not major cities.

Sheffield is built on 7 hills, some higher than others.

When I was younger and lived at other side of town it was on a hill just a couple of hundred ft up and whenever forecast was for snow on hills I always expected to see some snow and most of time we did.

If forecast was Snow on high ground I always thought they mean pennines, still do.

Posted

Sheffield is built on 7 hills, some higher than others.

When I was younger and lived at other side of town it was on a hill just a couple of hundred ft up and whenever forecast was for snow on hills I always expected to see some snow and most of time we did.

If forecast was Snow on high ground I always thought they mean pennines, still do.

Yes I think a local forcast of snow on hills would be Pennines though I do feel sympathy for those on low ground towards the coast who missed out and hope some joy of seeing good falls doesn't come across as gloating

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny (hate hot), severe thunderstorms, heavy snow, extreme cold

Evening all, roughly one foot of snow here approx 220m above sowerby bridge/triangle. It snowed very heavily from 9.30am till probably 1pm and then it snowed lightly till approx 4pm which is when it snowed heavily again. You need elevation for accumulation as in Sowerby bridge and nearby in Mirfield/Brighouse they barely have an inch whereas up here well we have buckets of it, and it's still snowing lightly.

Right I'm going to walk up the hill tomorrow.

Edited by Jonathan Lang

Posted

This was in the morning west of doncaster at 50m asl. Didn't do too bad but melted quick. Snowed all day in Mansfield. 

post-1104-0-64721800-1421874120_thumb.jppost-1104-0-42235200-1421874355_thumb.pn

post-1104-0-85279000-1421874222_thumb.pn

Edited by Craigers

Posted

post-2845-0-86883600-1421874400_thumb.jp

This was two years ago today according to my timehop app more or less the same as today in terms of coverage!

Edited by Love Snow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold! Winter :)

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

This was two years ago today according to my timehop app more or less the same as today in terms of coverage!

ha! thats amazing isnt it. Same day. I do remember Jan 13 being quite good!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Storms

Just thought Id pop in to your room to say some great pics of the snow being posted and glad you are enjoying it as we've had about 3 flakes down in Essex, haha.....can anyone tell me roughly how much snow has fallen in the Skipton area?  Thanks  

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.

It is still snowing here in Huddersfield.Orographic snowfall is occurring and does so when a slider moves down the country and draws in an easterly fetch.

Looking at rain today we could be in for a surprise later as showers move in from a s./e direction

Edited by winterof79

Posted

Definitely an event where the best results were for those on high ground. A couple of cms here but inches on higher ground nearby. Can't complain though - a good day weatherwise!

Posted

Good to see at least some parts of the country experienced some decent snow cover from the current set up. South Yorkshire/Peak District has now had two very decent snow events so far this winter - seems to be in the right place at the right time.

Posted

Just thought Id pop in to your room to say some great pics of the snow being posted and glad you are enjoying it as we've had about 3 flakes down in Essex, haha.....can anyone tell me roughly how much snow has fallen in the Skipton area?  Thanks  

My brother lives in Malham and when i spoke with him today there was not very much at all.He came down to the Wakefield area this afternoon and drove through Skipton.The precipitation never got far enough north.It does,however,seem they have had some snow this evening.

Edited by winterof79
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Storms

My brother lives in Malham and when i spoke with him today there was not very much at all.He came down to the Wakefield area this afternoon and drove through Skipton.The precipitation never got far enough north.It does,however,seem they have had some snow this evening.

OK, thanks for that my friend  :)

Posted

How much snow was in Wakefield? Thanks

Posted

How much snow was in Wakefield? Thanks

More than you would expect actually even at lower levels due to the intensity of this mornings dump that closed Leeds Airport.The snowfall has been very localised.

Do not know about city center though.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms.. Heavy snow.

Well the snow has stopped here after a good 24 hours constant, very impressive.  Temp is at 0.7 and water is pouring off everything still.