Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire and Lincolnshire - Weather Chat

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Sunny Days - Snow - Warm, Dry Days, Thunderstorms

roads are passable with care here

post-9352-0-00787500-1421840527_thumb.jp

just about stopped now

apparently there's been 2 foot of snow in Sheffield!!

post-9352-0-89231700-1421840616_thumb.jp

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny (hate hot), severe thunderstorms, heavy snow, extreme cold

Still heavy here. :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold! Winter :)

Its started again here, snowing nicely. Theres another band/clump developed around Nottingham which is now moving NW accross us. Should add a bit more :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy

Well both my kids have been sent home now ( Calder and Tod high) due to buses stopping?? Not that heavy really? Maybe 3 inches down in the valley ( much more over the tops!).

Still looks to be another couple of hours of heavy stuff on its way?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms.. Heavy snow.

Still snowing on and off here, about 2 inches fell.  Rapid thaw in progress though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny (hate hot), severe thunderstorms, heavy snow, extreme cold

Fat clumpy flakes and dripping trees, roofs and snow sliding down of car roofs.

Posted

Im surprised at the melting reports. Temps are only expected to be 1-2 widely today. With falling snow it usualy maintains freezing level. Even 2c should only mean a very slow melt when theres strong deep snow to cool that 2c above it.

A nice freeze up to come tonight though so should be OK to hold onto most of it until Friday PM.

Edited by Winter Cold

Posted
  • Location: Border of N.Yorks / W.Yorks / Lancashire - 350m asl
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but Rain!
  • Location: Border of N.Yorks / W.Yorks / Lancashire - 350m asl

Well both my kids have been sent home now ( Calder and Tod high) due to buses stopping?? Not that heavy really? Maybe 3 inches down in the valley ( much more over the tops!).

Still looks to be another couple of hours of heavy stuff on its way?

Yeah its looking like a lot of schools are closing at midday. No word on our 2 yet, honestly wouldn't like to be in the position of the headteachers trying to make the judgement call on whether the roads will become unsafe, guess its the bus companies making the call in a lot of cases.

Edited by cowdog

Posted

Just been out and about for a walk. 

I love it after a fresh snowfall :) very light, fine stuff still falling

post-9352-0-29611700-1421841934_thumb.jp

post-9352-0-75883300-1421841935_thumb.jp

post-9352-0-81519000-1421841937_thumb.jp

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold,snowy,frosty and thunderstorms

well my kids have got a snow day today, which means i got a lay in haha, still snowing moderately here, doesnt seem to be much of a melt, can hear the odd drip though, woke up to a good few cm's, happy days :) :)

Posted

As you cancan see i am up and awake... Already looked outside... Where is the damn snow! Did it even snow at all? Did I dream last night's radar? Arghhhj

Disappointed.

Has to be really cold to get snow here, it was way too marginal for low lying coastal areas and as been reported many low lying areas a good distance from the east coast. We need a potent northerly or easterly to see good snowfall here.

Posted

Just arrived back in NE Derbyshire. Retford/Worksop seemed to be low on snow cover so wasn't expecting much back home, being only a 2-3 miles from Worksop. Seems i've done okay. Looks to have been some melt but i'd estimate around 4-5cm of snow. Coming down again now

Posted

Penistone high school and Silkstone common closed just collected kids on way from work in Leeds just as ithe weather is improving ! Back at home and it's about 5/6 inches I'd say it's put loads down since I went to work which was really unexpected

Posted

Penistone high school and Silkstone common closed just collected kids on way from work in Leeds just as ithe weather is improving ! Back at home and it's about 5/6 inches I'd say it's put loads down since I went to work which was really unexpected

yeah, the roads got quite bad at one point. but the gritters are now out, finally working!

glad you're home safe

Posted

yeah, the roads got quite bad at one point. but the gritters are now out, finally working!

glad you're home safe

Yeah back home no problems only thing stops me getting anywhere is people who are clueless how to drive in snow and either clog up the roads driving 2 mph or drive like idiots and come off the road it took 2 hours to get 25miles this morning and that's with clear roads

Posted

The heavy stuff has hit here now. Anywhere that is on the Pennines proper today from us southwards, seems to be getting a pasting today. Line of heavy snow from us all the way down to West of Sheffield, and its been there all morning.Can well see the schools shutting round here :(Also heard its heavyish in Keighley as well, which is bizarre given its rare they have it heavy, due to their geography (surrounded by big hills which take all the snow).

Yes pretty good at high altitude in Keighley. Town centre nothing when I left....

I've just had drive down to Nottingham. Snowing all the way on M1. Heavy sleet in the city. Nothing laying.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunder - not necessarily at the same time!

Temperature is rising steadily here now and is up to 2.8°C and the sleet has stopped and it is brightening up. I have a bad feeling that this might be that for this winter but hope I am wrong.

With today (just) this makes three snow days this winter, which is two more than last winter but way behind the winters before.

Oh well, it's only weather  :)

Posted

Left Normanton at 7am 2-3cm drove to Keighley, not as much but didn't stop snowing all morning, left at 11am driving over the tops to Newcastle, plenty more snow falling and have been sat in a layby counting snow flakes on the A61 as I have broken down awaiting tow truck!

Posted

Another disappointment here with only rain this morning, not even any sleet. Still no days of lying snow since March 2013 and just a single day (Sunday) with sleet or snow falling.

These marginal cold spells just aren't any good for areas close to sea level near to the coast. Hopefully Feb will managed something better.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Mild Spring , hot summer , crisp autumn and snowy cold winters

coming down pretty sharp again here , only stopped for about 20 mins or so since 0930.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold,snowy,frosty and thunderstorms

pepped up here too, so has my stress levels, kids in and out in and out, kitchen floor wet through, ahhhhh the fun of snow days lol 

Edited by **SnowPlease**

Posted

woo, im FAMOUS!  :D

Tweeted Paul Hudson a pic of the snow and hes re-tweeted it and just mentioned it on Look North! WOW!

STILL snowing here too haha! :D:cold:

• Like 1

Posted

Where are all your snow pics??

post-8968-0-72421400-1421848035_thumb.jp

Considering we missed out on the heavy bursts we've done alright. Constant light snow.

Edited by Cheese Rice
  • Like 1