Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire and Lincolnshire - Weather Chat

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold! Winter :)

Ye that is a bit of a worry the predicted 3-4c but I'm not bothered about snow melt on thursday, I just want to see enough snow wednesday night to get thursday off work/or have a reduced delivery :D lol. After that a nice snow suprise could always just be around the corner in the shape of a slider or northerly winds just turning NNE. But I'l be honest when ever I view the charts I'm always looking first and foremost for a greenland or scandinavian high ; )

Haha, i definately do the same! I cant remember the last time we saw a proper GH. Hopefully some of the longer term indications mean we might see one in Feb if they prove correct. Its very interesting listening to Tamara, Carinthian etc who state that things could be looking very good with HLB possible. I remember snowking i think it was, saying take the models showing the PV to our NW with a pinch of salt. I really hope they are right. We are long overdue a cold Feb and i want to be talking about 'February 2015' the same as we do with Dec 10 and Mar 13 :p

• Like 2

Posted

This NW to W wind cold setup always does well for the majority of Yorkshire and western parts of lincs. Showers will explode with the the instability on Wednesday night Into thursday morning with alot of merging going on. Exciting times people!

• Like 2

Posted

Ok guys I have a funeral to attend Friday morning going from Barnsley to Doncaster...whats the outlook?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

Very well said, although didn't sheffield get a fall of 16-18 inches in 2010?? So big falls are still possible, albeit once in 50 years lol

Leeds got 16 inches in January 1995 from a single snowfall, so it's possible for sure. Maybe one day, we will see something like that again.

Edited by cheese
  • Like 1

Posted

Not that i advise following GFS precipitation charts however scroll through from Wednesday to Thursday evening. Constant snow showers for the bulk of our region. Still think i'll be too far south for decent accumulations however a good dusting to a cm or two possible. Those lucky to be caught in a stream will no doubt see several cm's!

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfs/royaume-uni/precipitations/3h.htm

Edited by Mark Bayley

Posted

I think it's only a question of when not If when we see a major snowfall in this country in the next 20 years !

Edited by Love Snow

Posted

I think it's only a question of when not If when we see a major snowfall in this country in the next 20 years !

One only has to look back at the 20-40cm of snow that fell in December 2010 across the South Yorkshire region to realise we can get major snowfall events in this country. That event was unprecedented, im sure in Sheffield it was the most snow that had fell within 24 hours on record? No doubt we'll see heavy snow events again. As you say its a matter of when!

post-6181-0-00662300-1422310986_thumb.jppost-6181-0-45847200-1422310987_thumb.jp

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW

I would love to see 20cm of snow, last time that happened in my location was 1987...if i remember correctly...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny (hate hot), severe thunderstorms, heavy snow, extreme cold

Ah March 2013. The deepest snow I have ever seen. I hope it gets beaten this year!

post-14889-0-78999300-1422315623_thumb.j

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: heat and cold, storms and blizzards...zonal a no no

Ah March 2013. The deepest snow I have ever seen. I hope it gets beaten this year!

attachicon.gif20130323_080640.jpg

Yeah that was a blistering month... best snowfalls and drifiting i had ever seen Jonathan.

i remember discussions on here saying things along the lines of ``cant measure how much snow fell last night as it was been blown from the roof onto the bin lid and then off to the ground and under the car``... i wont forget that in a hurry... personally in hoping for a repeat sometime this winter.

the models are showing some really good synoptics for our region at the moment and that is at all levels, never mind the baby talking southerners whom seemingly are dominating the MOD thread at the mo, with misleading posts and IMBY`isms.

we are going to fair pretty well out of this comming and thats all that matters for our back yards lol.. starting wednesday after the cold front clears.. temps and dew points are going to drop like a stone.... looking at the latest GFS ensemble for west yorkshire we will go from +4 to - 7 850`s  in arouround 6 to 9 hours.... a very noticable drop say in the space of a day.

Then according to precip charts some very potent showers piling in on a very strong nw wind veering w  which should cleanly push right across to the east coast in an unstable flow brought about by diurnal warming ( weak as it is ) and very cold uppers.

people in our region that havent seen some snow this winter should see an end to their snow-drought pretty soon im sure of it . :)

Edited by bryan629
  • Like 1

Posted

March 2013 was a bust for York, at least this spell looks like we might get some lying snow.

Although my purchase of the Netweather radar may have cursed me, it seems to run on the work computer so i shall be glued Weds night.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 6ft snow or 30°C sunshine...

Keep looking at the charts and the comments from folks in here and on the model thread and I genuinely can't make up my mind as to whether we're due to get a fair amount of the white stuff or whether it'll turn out to be a damp squib this week for us here in West Yorkshire. I just have a feeling that it simply won't make it this far south, or will get sucked in by the Pennines. Anyone got the same feeling or am I on my own with this?

Posted

Wednesday Evening looks good.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Beat me to it LS, this is what i was talking about with the showers merging on the more west flow! Good trends this morning short term!

• Like 1

Posted

morning all, well things are even less under-whelming for snow down here over the comming days, rain tomorrow, then just dry and chilly conditions, does not seem to much excitement on the model thread either.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer Sunshine / Winter Snow

Regional forecast for Yorkshire & Humber

Wednesday:

Soon turning much colder, with strong winds giving a significant wind-chill. Sunny intervals, in between blustery showers, these turning to snow by afternoon, with some accumulations even at low level. Maximum Temperature 5C.

Looks like the fun and games could start for our region as early as tomorrow afternoon if that last sentence is anything to go by!

Edited by Kentish Snowman

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer Sunshine / Winter Snow

morning all, well things are even less under-whelming for snow down here over the comming days, rain tomorrow, then just dry and chilly conditions, does not seem to much excitement on the model thread either.

That Met Office wording I have just posted up looks identical for the East Midlands as well Sparky?

Don't lose hope before this spell has even begun! Just don't expect too much and you might just be pleasantly surprised how things pan out...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny (hate hot), severe thunderstorms, heavy snow, extreme cold

Dec 2010 here in Chesterfield 

I only got 3cm from that. :( and 10cm briefly in november that year.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme weather

Looking at the met forecast I think we might see at least 5cm to low levels tommorow afternoon night with upto 10cm on higher ground. Think the commute to work Thursday for many could be fun especially west and South Yorkshire.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold,snowy,frosty and thunderstorms

bring on another snow day!  :cold:  :yahoo:

Posted

:cold: Good Morning :cold:

It is certainly going to turn colder from tomorrow and continuing well into next week!

Our region once again looks good for snow fall , last week it was said my area might miss out but then might get a dusting we ended up with 5.5 inches of it and it looks fabulous!

So anything can happen :yahoo: :yahoo: