Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire and Lincolnshire - Weather Chat

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold! Winter :)

Its looking another decent spell for Yorkshire anyway! Bring it on :cold:

Model thread is very volatile today, massive difference of opinions, but some of its coming down to IMBYism i think. I think were looking at another good 5 - 7 days of cold atm. ECM very nice tonight :)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW

Aye...a lot of hype re the next cold spell, need temps below freezing here on the coast to get any decent snowfall, there has been 4" of snow covering the beach before though with a similar set-up...

• Like 1

Posted

Noticed the the bbc news24 forecast backing the cold end to the week with bitter winds and snow.

My only concerns would be the usual coastal marginality. Hopefully uppers will upgrade closer to the time.

Its surely our turn now!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms

Noticed the the bbc news24 forecast backing the cold end to the week with bitter winds and snow.

My only concerns would be the usual coastal marginality. Hopefully uppers will upgrade closer to the time.

Its surely our turn now!!

From experience what uppers do you need for where you are? Im guessing your slightly inland and you seem to have a bit of elevation -7/-8??

Posted

From experience what uppers do you need for where you are? Im guessing your slightly inland and you seem to have a bit of elevation -7/-8??

I'm about 1 mile inland but high up above cayton bay so have good elevation for being at the coast. -7 i find does it for a northerly. Needs to be about -12 in an easterly... Even 2013 was sleet here!!

We funilly seem to do better from a nnw flow. Showers still clip us yet theres not a massive amount of modification.

Posted

Yellow Weather warning issued for Wednesday for snow !!!!!

Let's hope so,been very poor here,got loads in Bradford where I work but the hills seem to shelter us here,bet we haven,t had a cm of snow that settled!!

Posted

Good Afternoon All

so north and west yorks have a weather warning for snow!! met office are on the ball and it set to be a very wintry week this week!! hopefully south yorks can get in on the action as well :yahoo:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold! Winter :)

Nice to see warnings out. Im surprised South Yorkshire isnt in it aswell though as they describe NW winds so that usualy favours Sheffield aswell, showers coming down through Chesire gap etc!

Posted

Nice to see warnings out. Im surprised South Yorkshire isnt in it aswell though as they describe NW winds so that usualy favours Sheffield aswell, showers coming down through Chesire gap etc!

I can imagine they will update the warning closer to the time. They have just highlighted the obvious areas and will most likely firm up on details on Tuesday.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Border of N.Yorks / W.Yorks / Lancashire - 350m asl
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but Rain!

I can imagine they will update the warning closer to the time. They have just highlighted the obvious areas and will most likely firm up on details on Tuesday.

Yeah, as always with Snow its localised as to where it falls / severity. Odds are High Pennine areas that will get it aka similar to the areas that got it last week.

Thing with this one, its early days it could just be a few cm's it could be a few feet of snow, all up in the air until it firms up. Met seem to be indicating that its got a possibility of the later given the wording of the warning.

Edited by cowdog

Posted

Yeah, as always with Snow its localised as to where it falls / severity. Odds are High Pennine areas that will get it aka similar to the areas that got it last week.

Thing with this one, its early days it could just be a few cm's it could be a few feet of snow, all up in the air until it firms up. Met seem to be indicating that its got a possibility of the later given the wording of the warning.

Here in Barnsley we done very well last week with 5.5 inches of snow!! :) was fabulous hoping for double the amount this week

Posted

Let's hope so,been very poor here,got loads in Bradford where I work but the hills seem to shelter us here,bet we haven,t had a cm of snow that settled!!

I've been lucky in Morley still got a few light snow patches about in shaded areas good luck for next week.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat and Snow

Wednesday Night

post-17488-0-03523300-1422194978_thumb.p

post-17488-0-78722900-1422194987_thumb.p

post-17488-0-82049200-1422194999_thumb.p

Should definitely be cold enough for snow for most us.

• Like 3

Posted

Wednesday Night

attachicon.gifuppers.png

attachicon.gifdew.png

attachicon.gifmax.png

Should definitely be cold enough for snow for most us.

Showers will most likely be snow down to sea level especially as the coldest uppers coincide with the overnight period. I think once again streamers will set up and if you find yourself lucky enough to be under one you could see some decent accumulations. Of course the further west and the more elevation you have the better but even places east of the Pennines could wake up to a surprise Thursday morning. 

Posted

Well without going into detail one look at the GEFS ensembles shows a week long spell where the average 850hpa temp is at or below -5c.

graphe3_1000_288_9___.gif

Very encouraging indeed at would suggest snow potential throughout our region during the period and plenty of days for all parts to get in on the fun games.

Going back to PM blast later this week this is how MetO see 0300hrs on Thurs currently and it shows heavy snow getting all the way to the east coast.

post-6447-0-43809200-1422201820_thumb.jp

Of course these maps should be taken with a pinch of salt but interesting nevertheless to see how far east they area putting the "heavy snow" symbols. I would be very surprised if places such as Bridlington and Hornsea saw heavy snow from a westerly. Ya never know ;)

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat and Snow

Looks like Lincolnshire will miss out again!

Won't know until at least 24 hours beforehand.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW

I reckon E.Riding coast will miss out again too, f/cast already changed from Arctic Nly airstream to cold NWly so the Moors/Wolds will stop whatever little does come over from the NW...great...and by the time wind does turn NEly milder air is getting sucked into Scandi from Sth...so be rain/sleet...again...

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but Rain!

I reckon E.Riding coast will miss out again too, f/cast already changed from Arctic Nly airstream to cold NWly so the Moors/Wolds will stop whatever little does come over from the NW...great...and by the time wind does turn NEly milder air is getting sucked into Scandi from Sth...so be rain/sleet...again...

Wed / Thur is a NW stream. Friday / Saturday it will shift to either a pure Northerly or a NE, both should see you getting snow. Before then its probably to marginal to snow on the coast anyway, so in a way its the perfect setup for the east coast.

See latest ECM for instance -

ECM1-144.GIF?25-0

Edited by cowdog
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Wednesday and Thursday look good. We lose the cold uppers on Friday so away from high ground the main issue will be the strong winds. Should see Blizzards on the high ground though and not a day to go walking in the peak district. Plenty time for it to all change.

• Like 2

Posted

It's hard to predict the outcome of this its quite a unusual set up if you ask me !

Past Thursday I haven't a clue neither, taking the charts at face value from what I've learnt in the past 10 years I see no substantial snow for my next of the woods. What is being shown in the output is most likely to change anyway, and I much prefer to wait untill snow chances come into the high res model range at 72 hours or less.

• Like 1