Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire and Lincolnshire - Weather Chat

Paul

Posted

right this *has* to be our chance to see some snow in Skeggy the east coast has done crap recently and I want bloody snow lol

Posted

Now have torrential hail blowing against the building with the odd large snowflake.

Shower passed over leaving 1 inch of hail on the window ledge that was facing the wind.

Edited by BA Baracus

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: the more extreme the better!

Gusty here! Blowing all the snow away :( my anemometer recorded 38mph a short while ago. Hopefully there will be some quality snowfall later :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms

BBC has it reasonable for Scunny

But I will believe it when I see it !

Snow lasting through the night and into tomorrow morning (mid morning) then starting up again Thursday evening ! !

2qx5buv.jpg

West Yorkshire looks very good

Ties in well with my thoughts on a poss streamer for you area, I do believe most places will see snow over the next 24 hours, most especially where streamers set up. they are notoriously hard to forecast but looking at all the available data in front of me, Lancaster across to Hull looks like a good bet. Main reason being if you follow the isobars back across to Ireland, here we have the longest sea track. Will be interesting to see how it pans out, I could be miles out.

Posted

I've quite recently moved to York so I've had very limited experience of snow so far. From what I have experience this winter, it appears two factors have had quite considerable negative impact on the chances of me seeing snow. 

First facotor is the elevation. I have only looked up the elevation of York briefly, but it appears to be about 20-30m asl on average. This appears to have made marginal situations far more marginal than other areas, for example last week where areas like Leeds saw settling snow while York saw a slushy cm which quickly melted. 

Second factor is the Yorkshire moors, which is relevant to the recent cold spells where wind and preciptation have derived from the west and northwest. Preciptation appears to break up quite often over the moors before it hits York and surrounding areas.

For those that have lived in similar areas longer, am I right to assume these factors have had a negative impact on the chances i see snow, and what are your experiences? 

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Big showers are not far north of Lancaster now. The real test will be whether they push against the Pennines or go over the top to us.

• Like 1

Posted

Is this wind going to drop?  because these showers are rattling through and unless we are under a good streamer then cant see much settling.

Posted

I've quite recently moved to York so I've had very limited experience of snow so far. From what I have experience this winter, it appears two factors have had quite considerable negative impact on the chances of me seeing snow. 

First facotor is the elevation. I have only looked up the elevation of York briefly, but it appears to be about 20-30m asl on average. This appears to have made marginal situations far more marginal than other areas, for example last week where areas like Leeds saw settling snow while York saw a slushy cm which quickly melted. 

Second factor is the Yorkshire moors, which is relevant to the recent cold spells where wind and preciptation have derived from the west and northwest. Preciptation appears to break up quite often over the moors before it hits York and surrounding areas.

For those that have lived in similar areas longer, am I right to assume these factors have had a negative impact on the chances i see snow, and what are your experiences? 

You'll do better in straight northerlies and easterlies. You've had the misfortune this winter of seeing north westerlies. 

Posted

Hi mate. I moved to near Malton 3 years ago, and previously had lived in Heworth, York for 16 years. Growing up, I found York a very good place for snow however since I moved away the last few years have been quite poor. During a cold westerly unfortunately York is a bit too far east to get the heavier showers and of course lacks elevation. If the wind is from the North as you say showers can be broken up from the North York Moors, however if its strong/cold enough and has a slight NE tilt York can see quite a bit of snow from this set up. If the wind is cold and is anywhere between NNE and SE then York is a fantastic place to live. During 2008-2010 period I saw over 3 feet of accumulative snowfall in York from all from Easterlies. It is also a very good place to live for frontal snow, with it being so far east and closer to the continent, you will find the cold air will hang around here for longer so there has been many good battles between cold and mild air that has left some good dumping's over York. The vale of York is notoriously good for freezing fog and cold temperature (inversions). On many days I find the centre of York much colder than the hillier rural Howardian Hills where I am now.

Its also only 15 miles from the Yorkshire Wolds where Garrowby Hills reaches 245m asl so if your ever feeling snow stricken its only a 20 min drive up there for a snow fix when things are a bit marginal. Hope this helps and fingers crossed for some snow in York  over the coming week.

• Like 2

Posted

Looking at latest radar, areas north and west of leeds should get some of this heavier stuff currently over cumbria.

Like how it's intesfiying inbetween whithaven/ isle of man.

Edited by Harsh Climate
  • Like 1

Posted

post-6447-0-90867400-1422451851_thumb.jp

Looks like this lot heading my way over the next few hours. Temp 5.7c with a dewpoint of 2.7c so too warm for snow currently, however it looks like the precip could arrive with the -6c 850hpa and any heavy showers should drop the snowline quickly.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Looking at latest radar, areas north and west of leeds should get some of this heavier stuff currently over cumbria.

Like how it's intesfiying inbetween whithaven/ isle of man.

Yes it looks good for some already. Distinct look of 2009 about it the way the showers will pack in later. The intensity should be great too so we shouldn't have to squint at the lamppost tonight to see if owt is happening.
  • Like 1

Posted

Heavy snow showers likely, temporary blizzard conditions at times, esp 2night & 2morrow. But they are scattered, so not everywhere affected.

PAUL HUDSON SAID SNOW!! Lol!!

• Like 1

Posted

Amber warning just been issued for the very North West of our region.  http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings/#?tab=map&map=Warnings&zoom=5&lon=-3.50&lat=55.50&fcTime=1422403200&regionName=yh

Oh just seen 10.47am, bit behind ooops.

Edited by vizzy2004

Posted

Hi mate. I moved to near Malton 3 years ago, and previously had lived in Heworth, York for 16 years. Growing up, I found York a very good place for snow however since I moved away the last few years have been quite poor. During a cold westerly unfortunately York is a bit too far east to get the heavier showers and of course lacks elevation. If the wind is from the North as you say showers can be broken up from the North York Moors, however if its strong/cold enough and has a slight NE tilt York can see quite a bit of snow from this set up. If the wind is cold and is anywhere between NNE and SE then York is a fantastic place to live. During 2008-2010 period I saw over 3 feet of accumulative snowfall in York from all from Easterlies. It is also a very good place to live for frontal snow, with it being so far east and closer to the continent, you will find the cold air will hang around here for longer so there has been many good battles between cold and mild air that has left some good dumping's over York. The vale of York is notoriously good for freezing fog and cold temperature (inversions). On many days I find the centre of York much colder than the hillier rural Howardian Hills where I am now.

Its also only 15 miles from the Yorkshire Wolds where Garrowby Hills reaches 245m asl so if your ever feeling snow stricken its only a 20 min drive up there for a snow fix when things are a bit marginal. Hope this helps and fingers crossed for some snow in York  over the coming week.

Thanks a lot for the reply. I guess i'll just have to wait till the winds move towards a more easterly direction, which maybe possible in the the next few weeks. 

Posted

Getting darker in Leeds and looking at radar something on its way.

I also noticed on the radar loop that some showers seemed to pep up over the Peak District.  Will the hills actually help intensify the showers rather than draining them?

Posted
  • Location: Settle in the Yorkshire Dales at 145m asl North Ribblesdale
  • Location: Settle in the Yorkshire Dales at 145m asl North Ribblesdale

Snowing quite heavily at moment. :D  :D  :D  

• Like 1

Posted

Can't see anywhere North of the region getting much in the way of snow, bar the Dales and Pennine uplands and the Sheffield area which will be in the prime position once more.

Edited by Hocus Pocus

Posted

Can't see anywhere North of the region getting much in the way of snow, bar the Dales and Pennine uplands and the Sheffield area which will be in the prime position once more.

I'll put some pictures on for you tomorrow to see lol!