Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire and Lincolnshire - Weather Chat

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold! Winter :)

Well this is a nightmare isnt it. Will it? wont it?  No warnings what so ever from METO, yet their website shows heavy snow Tuesday night for Sheffield and the text forecast says snow Tue night, Wednedsay and Friday lol!!!

Chaos really. I have no idea which way its going to go lol. Maybe its last minute nowcast!!

Posted

Yes, probably a yellow warning issued tomorrow morning for 2-5cms (If that)? Similar to what they issued for the South last week. 

Yeah, thats what i suspect will happen. At the very worst i think those of us in the west of the region should at least see a dusting (although of course, many of us want a little more than that!)

Edited by Mark Bayley

Posted

Yes the models have been really poor. After last weeks forecasts I hoped for a week of heavy snow and freezing daytime temps, now it looks like being a bit of a wet squib. Very disappointing but not totally unexpected. I really do hope it delivers a few cm for some at least.

Edited by alanwh

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love snow

Gfs 12z not looking too good it shows it fizzling out as it gets too us :(

Posted

yeah I do have to agree with you alanwh, last week I was thinking great, slider low. Mind went back to March 13 when we got a foot of snow from that here.

In actual fact, ive so far ended up with an inch max from pretty weak showers. This has now almost all mented, even at my elevation with temps 1-2c.

I know im mad, but cant help feel deflated. The week could redeem itself tomorrow night and Wednesday but we shall just have to see what happens! Ill wait and see :)

Edited by Winter Cold

Posted

yeah I do have to agree with you alanwh, last week I was thinking great, slider low. Mind went back to March 13 when we got a foot of snow from that here.

In actual fact, ive so far ended up with an inch max from pretty weak showers. This has now almost all mented, even at my elevation with temps 1-2c.

I know im mad, but cant help feel deflated. The week could redeem itself tomorrow night and Wednesday but we shall just have to see what happens! Ill wait and see :)

Least its been better that last winter when not a flake settled, I think I've been spoiled with past winters up here with some mega 4/5 foot drifts but I would still gladly give up my forecast dusting in the next couple of days to give others on here a couple of hours of snowmageddon. Here's hoping guys !!

Posted

I read a Interesting post in the MD thread not sure which Member it was now. But he was saying in the 60s 70s this weeks Cold which as been rain for most would have been Snow back in the Day but because of Global warming and the Tempreatures just been the couple of degrees above for any you after question the effects of a warning climate.

Edited by Love Snow

Posted

I read a Interesting post in the MD thread not sure which Member it was now. But he was saying in the 60s 70s this weeks Cold which as been rain for most would have been Snow back in the Day but because of Global warming and the Tempreatures just been the couple of degrees above for any you after question the effects of a warning climate.

How about no.

The only correlation I can find is larger urban centres resulting in higher temperatures from urban heat island effect.

Warming of ocean has occurred across the majority of the globe apart from the N.Atlantic. This has aided wintry potential.

• Like 1

Posted

Least its been better that last winter when not a flake settled, I think I've been spoiled with past winters up here with some mega 4/5 foot drifts but I would still gladly give up my forecast dusting in the next couple of days to give others on here a couple of hours of snowmageddon. Here's hoping guys !!

Yes its been a big improvement on last year. When you think we couldnt even manage a frost hardly and didnt see a flake last winter.

I just like it to feel like winter, with cold days, wind chill etc and we have had some of that at least, even before this week.

Its not going to be a disaster after this week by any stretch, indeed latest GFS shows the UK under sub zero uppers for the majority of the run, which would at least mean frosts and snow/wintry showers going forward. Have to take comfort that blow torch south westerlies are not on the cards :)

I do still crave another BIG fall though. Perhaps February can deliver. Some good forward thinking coming out on the mod thread (tamara etc)

Posted

Latest BBC forecast showed definitely snow over the region, so potential for a couple of cm's at this stage I would say. (I know quite a few rely on BBC forecasts, so will be pleased.)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms

post-6447-0-95155900-1421688762_thumb.jp

This is currently what the MetO is showing for our region early at midnight tomorrow. Looks very encouraging however GFS/NMM precip charts only seem to show light snow, especially the further east you go!

For the same time, heres the 12Z NMM, looks to be a erratic feature with not much intensity, however with it arriving overnight and if it hangs around abit some places could see decent accumulations

nmm_uk1-1-36-0.png?19-18.

Edited by vizzy2004

Posted

attachicon.gifsnow.jpg

This is currently what the MetO is showing for our region early at midnight tomorrow. Looks very encouraging however GFS/NMM precip charts only seem to show light snow, especially the further east you go!

I think that'll be adjusted to a period of light snow. 

Posted

Wait for the EURO4 to come out at 6

• Like 1

Posted

Yep EURO4 shows front won't Reach Yorkshire.

Oh well..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms.. Heavy snow.

Yep EURO4 shows front won't Reach Yorkshire.

Oh well..

Front looks unhealthy as it is.. we may get a dusting but that's all.

Posted

Last night's dusting didn't cover 50% of the ground so we're still waiting for the first lying snow day of the winter at 0900 by the MetOffice definition.

I'm struggling to find anything on the models in the near future that might lead to that!

There's never been two consecutive winters here without at least 1 day of lying snow at 0900 so hopefully it isn't a record we'll break!

Posted

Again the same old problem with people getting too excited 4-6 days out. Trends (and good moods) at that scale - all and good, but where and what will fall from the sky a no-no.  I personally don't bother looking at serious snow potential until T+6.....

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Should be some Snow in Yorkshire Tuesday into Wednesday morning. Fear not.

post-2404-0-17992900-1421691292_thumb.pn

• Like 1

Posted

Should be some Snow in Yorkshire Tuesday into Wednesday morning. Fear not.

Pit your the best !   :yahoo:

Posted

Indeed, I still have a hunch that there will be a covering for parts, maybe not much, but something. 

Definitely not promising anything, but just what I believe at the moment. :)