Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire and Lincolnshire - Weather Chat

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

There is a hook developing on the latest loops,mmmmm!

http://www.meteox.co.uk/h.aspx?r=&r&jaar=-3&soort=satradar

enhanced ppn :)

18z ppn chart uk,make of it what u will,it will be down to nowcasting,but we should see some snow tomorrow night

http://www.meteox.co.uk/h.aspx?r=&r&jaar=-3&soort=satradar

just a wee question though,with the relatively warm sst's in the irish sea at this time of year due to a mild start to winter,should this enhance ppn a bit.?

Edited by Allseasons-si

Posted

Bit off-topic, but...

Something weird happened yesterday morning (Jan 19th) at around 7.30/8 am... here in Grimsby! I was in bed, and I swear I heard thunder twice outside... I immediately looked on the lightning detector but nothing! Asked other people if they heard it, no, not a thing. I don't know whether it was just a few isolated distant strikes that the detectors didn't pick up but it was really strange. There was first a distant rumble but definitely loud enough to catch my attention and think 'No way!' Then about 3 to 4 minutes after there a smaller rumble that I probably wouldn't have noticed if I hadn't been listening for it. But the second rumble convinced me that what I was hearing was thunder. Now I'm not sure what it was but it sure did sound like it, pretty strange to hear after the light snow we had last night (although it doesn't surprise me because we seem to get more and more thundery-type activity with snow these days in this country).

Any other Grimbarians or people in Lincolnshire/East Yorkshire hear this at all?

Posted

BBC forecast this morning stating snow for the " south of northern England"  The line looks about the Barnsley area and south as usual we are always on the border no matter which direction !!. But does show for most of the day, on Wednesday.

Looking at the BBC online it looks a bit further north Leeds etc.

Edited by tayzi

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer Sunshine / Winter Snow

BBC forecast this morning stating snow for the " south of northern England" The line looks about the Barnsley area and south as usual we are always on the border no matter which direction !!. But does show for most of the day, on Wednesday.

Looking at the BBC online it looks a bit further north Leeds etc.

Yes Carol Kirkwood stating the possibility of some disruptive snow between midnight tonight and midday tomorrow for some areas including the South of Northern England.

That would be Yorkshire then!

I must admit the XC Weather forecast has me down for 11 centimetres overnight tonight but I remain to be convinced at this stage.

Intriguing nonetheless!

Edited by Kentish Snowman

Posted

Good morning all, wow, last night was colder than forecast, still currently -5c, tomorrow looks a bit of a messy picture as rain/sleet and snow forecast for here according to the met office forecast.

• Like 1

Posted

Yes Carol Kirkwood stating the possibility of some disruptive snow between midnight tonight and midday tomorrow for some areas including the South of Northern England.

That would be Yorkshire then!

I must admit the XC Weather forecast has me down for 11 centimetres overnight tonight but I remain to be convinced at this stage.

Intriguing nonetheless!

Yes Kentish and have you noticed Barnsley is always on the edge of what ever direction the border for snow is?  Met office have snow for us overnight clear through wednesday morning and then snow wednesday afternoon....oh dear thats Tesco out of bread and milk then :nonono:

Posted

Yes Kentish and have you noticed Barnsley is always on the edge of what ever direction the border for snow is?  Met office have snow for us overnight clear through wednesday morning and then snow wednesday afternoon....oh dear thats Tesco out of bread and milk then :nonono:

Yes well that is the problem with living slap bang in the middle of the country.

Having said that Northerlies, Westerlies and particularly Easterlies can deliver for this area unlike many parts of the UK.

Areas like Kent where I grew up only benefit from Easterlies really snow wise so it could be alot worse I suppose.

You only have to look at that amazing snowfall we had in late November or Early December 2010 to know that it can happen. I think we had around 35cms of level snow here from that event.

I'm not expecting much this time around but a covering would be nice.

Right, I'm off to panic buy at Tescos!

• Like 1

Posted

"The south of northern england"? That's the first time i've ever heard that used.

Still not convinced we'll see very much in York.

Posted

At the moment it looks like the same local areas as Boxing Day doesn't it but perhaps some surprising snow for the Humber areas. Higher parts of Sheff N Derbyshire up to higher parts of Barnsley getting the most then petering out the more north you go. As yesterday I am still hoping for a slight North correction to get more of us in the heavy snow firing line Fingers crossed folks

Posted

Got to Laugh at the BBC National Weather it's like Yorkshire doesn't Exist.

Edited by Love Snow
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny (hate hot), severe thunderstorms, heavy snow, extreme cold

Met office says light snow for my area from 2000 today till 1400 tommorow with temps not exceeding 1c and only reaching that briefly. Looks good!

Edited by Jonathan Lang

Posted

Met office says light snow for my area from 2000 today till 1400 tommorow with temps not exceeding 1c and only reaching that briefly. Looks good!

They are going for light snow for my area from 11pm tonight until 7pm tomorrow night continuous! hmmm lol yeh lets see what happens

Posted

Got to Laugh at the BBC National Weather it's like Yorkshire doesn't Exist.

I know what you mean, I think they do tend to fudge over areas where there's little confidence of what's going to happen.

I find guessing what the radar is going to do next is much better than anything when looking a couple of hours ahead

especially where snow is concerned.

• Like 1

Posted

morning all, well i cant believe how much the forecast is changing today, i keep checking the metoffice site and there are so many options, lol. an hour ago we were forecast snow tomorrow afternoon, then sleet/rain, then snow again,  now its a little snow overnight tonight and dry all day tomorrow.   temp outside is still a chilly -3.3c

Edited by sparky1972
  • Like 1

Posted

All eyes on the met office 11am update as that's when they tend to release there warnings for the day

Warnings re tonight-tomorrow will be issued this morning. Wales, Midlands and parts of N at greatest risk of disruptive snow.

--------------------------
Ian K. Fergusson FRMetS
Twitter: @fergieweather
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold! Winter :)

Morning everyone

well, looking at the radar at present, warnings seem laughable, the PPN is virtualy nothing, and its not even got here yet. The text forecast on the BBC/METO sites is rubbish. A few light flurries and thats it!!

I think its a case of ignore all that and just look out the window tonight. They havent got a clue. Never known such a farse lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms.. Heavy snow.

Yep, that front is being obliterated, may get a flurry out of it but that's all.  Currently sunny but clouding over gradually.  

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme weather

That front moving in now is getting weaker and weaker. Think we will see a sugar coating at best tonight. Certainly be surprised if we saw anything else.

Posted

That front moving in now is getting weaker and weaker. Think we will see a sugar coating at best tonight. Certainly be surprised if we saw anything else.

The Met Office must be thinking it will pep up over the Irish Sea as the BBC forecasts are still going for the possibility of some disruptive snowfall in our area overnight.

It will be interesting to see whether any warnings are issued in the next hour or so.

Edited by Kentish Snowman

Posted

The Met Office must be thinking it will pep up over the Irish Sea as the BBC forecasts are still going for the possibility of some disruptive snowfall in our area overnight.

It will be interesting to see whether any warnings are issued in the next hour or so.

They definitely will be issued, Ian F said before. Wales, Midlands and N England the biggest risk areas.

Posted

Yellow warning of snow

Issued at:
1051 on Tue 20 Jan 2015

Valid from:
1600 on Tue 20 Jan 2015

Valid to:
1200 on Wed 21 Jan 2015

East Riding of Yorkshire, North Lincolnshire, North Yorkshire, South Yorkshire, West Yorkshire, York

An area of snow is expected to extend northeastwards from parts of Wales across the Midlands and into parts of northern England on Tuesday evening and night, persisting into Wednesday morning. Accumulations of 3-8 cm are likely in places, perhaps 10-15 cm very locally on high ground. The snow should ease gradually through Wednesday morning.
Details remain uncertain regarding the extent and amount of snowfall, in particular the northward extent of snowfall into northern England (indeed some areas may miss the snow altogether). Therefore it is likely that this warning will be updated in the light of new information and may be upgraded to Amber should confidence increase sufficiently. 
Edited by LeeSnowFan
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow.

Yellow Warning:

An area of snow is expected to extend northeastwards from parts of Wales across the Midlands and into parts of northern England on Tuesday evening and night, persisting into Wednesday morning.
Accumulations of 3-8 cm are likely in places, perhaps 10-15 cm very locally on high ground.  The snow should ease gradually through Wednesday morning. The public should be aware of the risk of disruption to transport.

A complex frontal system is running into the UK from the west and is coming up against a stagnant cold airmass on its forward flank over central and eastern areas.
Rain arriving in westernmost areas will readily turn to snow as it comes inland later on Tuesday, spreading into Wales along with central and northern England overnight.
The snow is likely to accumulate easily, given the cold ground surfaces.

Details remain uncertain regarding the extent and amount of snowfall, in particular the northward extent of snowfall into northern England (indeed some areas may miss the snow altogether).
Therefore it is likely that this warning will be updated in the light of new information and may be upgraded to Amber should confidence increase sufficiently.

Edited by Barking_Mad