Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire and Lincolnshire - Weather Chat

Paul

Posted

From Met Office. 2-5cms above 150m.Thats a downgrade no?

<snip>

I think that sounds reasonable, although for our region id trend towards the higher end of the margin (south and west).

NMM precipitation accumulations tie in with the mets thoughts, and of greater accumulations over the peaks. Again the south and west of our region getting the highest totals

nmm_uk1-25-22-0.png?20-17

Edited by Mark Bayley

Posted

I wouldnt take the Met office warnings as gospel.. only a few weeks ago we had barely any snow forecast here and we ended up with over 6 inches after 5 hours of constant snowfall...

Still looking good for us 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

I wonder why their thoughts have change?

But in any case, I'm not really interested at this stage. I'm going to wait and see what happens tonight.

Posted

Having a bet  with Dad, hes saying it wont settle.( thats based on his experience of the weather over the years * hovis music*   :rofl:  I hope it does our youngest dog hasn't seen snow. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold! Winter :)

Whats surprising is how far north its going. The Irish sea stuff is still going north, so much so that I cant see that hitting Yorkshire at all!

Just a few bits coming up from SW Midlands so far. Its just going to be a case of radar watching and seeing what happens. The heaviest stuff in the forecasts seems to be overnight (3am-6am) so its probably going to develop a lot later on?

Posted

tbh don't pay too much attention at METO. Look for yourselves on the radar, ask people from other regions who have precipitation over them. Factual info is the best now...

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold,snowy,frosty and thunderstorms

Whats surprising is how far north its going. The Irish sea stuff is still going north, so much so that I cant see that hitting Yorkshire at all!

Just a few bits coming up from SW Midlands so far. Its just going to be a case of radar watching and seeing what happens. The heaviest stuff in the forecasts seems to be overnight (3am-6am) so its probably going to develop a lot later on?

nooooooo lol dont say that, it will hit us all, happy thoughts lol :)

Posted

Look at the precip developing over South Wales, i think thats what is going to pivot around and move NE over our region 

Posted

The precipitation in the Irish sea was never going to reach us. Its the precipitation over South Wales and the South West, although this seems to be progressing north at a faster rate than the models where expecting (as often the case)

Edited by Mark Bayley

Posted

I haven't really been watching the front today, it's going to be one of those slow burners that take forever to reach out area.

I haven't cross referenced the charts to the radar but it's pretty standard for the models to forecast the front too far south. It always happen, you should view the models as a guide and expect the track to be slightly wrong. Don't forget we are viewing the models at a very small scale so it's almost impossible to get the track 100%. When you factor how small the UK is it makes it even harder with greater influence from the sea compared to the USA, where it's far easier over a vast area of land less influenced by external factors.

Edited by Cheese Rice
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold! Winter :)

I did wonder if its the SW lot I should be watching more! Fair enough, ill be watching that like an eagle then lol :D Fingers and toes crossed everyone :p

Posted

From Met Office. 2-5cms above 150m.Thats a downgrade no?

1626 on Tue 20 Jan 2015

Valid from:

1630 on Tue 20 Jan 2015

Valid to:

1200 on Wed 21 Jan 2015

Outbreaks of sleet or snow are expected to extend northeastwards from parts of Wales across parts of the Midlands and northern England on Tuesday evening and night, persisting into Wednesday morning in places. Accumulations of 2-5 cm are likely in places, mainly above around 150 m, perhaps with 10 cm very locally on high ground, particularly the Peak District and high ground of north Wales. In the south of the warning area, the snow is likely to turn to rain on Tuesday evening and overnight. The snow should ease gradually through Wednesday morning.

Given the finely-balanced nature of the situation, even at this stage details remain very uncertain regarding the extent and amount of snowfall, in particular the northward extent into northern England. Indeed some areas will miss the snow altogether. 

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Well will it or won't it. Radar not showing a lot of heavy stuff however it never really reflected the 34mm of rain on boxing day either.

post-2404-0-73601300-1421776277_thumb.pn

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme weather

Looking at latest update at 17.25 on news 24 weather it looks like hitting around 3am but doesn't look great to be honest. Looks very messy rain sleet and some wet snow. Certainly don't think I will bother with radar this evening tonight with it hitting in early hours. Got work again at 5.30am lol.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms.. Heavy snow.

Hmmmm, it's starting to look more fragmented again.  Great to watch though

Posted

I wonder why their thoughts have change?

But in any case, I'm not really interested at this stage. I'm going to wait and see what happens tonight.

Darren Betts updated it lol.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms

Well a part of the band that is tracking northwards over Birmingham currently was not shown on the 12z NMM. Definatley a nowcast situation, not staying up tho, hoping to wake up to a surprise.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold ,snow

Info Guys

Paul Hudson just tweeted 10.30 tonight Defo one to watch if you're concerned about the commute to work!

10-30 forcast or thats the projected snowfall?

Posted

@Hudsonweather: At the moment the North Midlands and parts of south Yorkshire look at greatest risk of at least some snow later tonight/tomorrow morning.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Frost Sun

@Hudsonweather: At the moment the North Midlands and parts of south Yorkshire look at greatest risk of at least some snow later tonight/tomorrow morning.

He's just said on radio Sheff, Debyshire around midnight extending to other parts of area (South Yorks) by dawn. 

Must be expecting a really slow progress of front/system coming in.