Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire and Lincolnshire - Weather Chat

Paul

Posted

He's just said on radio Sheff, Debyshire around midnight extending to other parts of area (South Yorks) by dawn. 

Must be expecting a really slow progress of front/system coming in. 

He's just said on radio Sheff, Debyshire around midnight extending to other parts of area (South Yorks) by dawn. 

Must be expecting a really slow progress of front/system coming in. 

It confusing because they get all there data from the metoffice and met have my area down for heavy snow from 10pm tonight right through to 10am tomorrow morning and only a few hours ago it was light snow.

Posted

It confusing because they get all there data from the metoffice and met have my area down for heavy snow from 10pm tonight right through to 10am tomorrow morning and only a few hours ago it was light snow.

Each forecaster will interpret the data their own way and will use different sources as extra info... There is no blanket information for every single forecaster.

Posted

I think they like to all say something different to cover the spectrum...cos they ant a clue as to when exactly

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme weather - any kind!

From what I've seen based on the models and current radar, the areas most at risk are Derbyshire and South Yorkshire, along with southern parts of West Yorkshire. However it's very unpredictable (as these situations often are), and it all depends on the extent to which the precipitation develops, which has varied from one model to the other and from one run to the next.

It's very much a now-casting situation so keep an eye on the radar this evening before you go to bed!

Posted

I think they like to all say something different to cover the spectrum...cos they ant a clue as to when exactly

That's a good point actually. A few different versions so it will be impossible to apportion blame.

Posted

The low appears to be right on track as forecast.

The EURO4 is a little behind, the NMM is similar to the radar.

No comment on whether the front is further north because although if you cross reference the charts you'd assume it was further north, at the same time it could also mean it's moving in faster than projected. We won't really know till it's stalled, likely over south Yorkshire with the precipitation covering most of the county.

And please can we not comment on the computer generated 5 day forecast, defeats the point of having all these vast tools available to just rely on what is really of use to the general public who couldn't care less about radars and models.

Edited by Cheese Rice
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal weather but love snow

BBC forecast looks rather poor for most !

Peak District area getting the best deal.

By the time it reaches East if the region it's early morning and seems to be rain!

Oh well hopefully February brings a bit more of the white stuff to our region

Posted

I think people are entitled to comment on the regional weather in this thread regarding forecasts , radar etc...we all arent up to par with the models etc therefor we refrain from commenting in model output discussions , it cant go in moans site cos its not a moan its an observation. But I will refrain from commenting about things that arent weather related. 

• Like 1

Posted

Progressing north faster than I expected. Wonder if it'll be one of these affairs where the leading band of snow dies out and you then have to wait for the next to take its place, if you see what I mean. That appears to be what's happening now with heavier areas appearing behind the leading arc.

Edited by Cold Winter

Posted

Also, commenting on every single BBC forecast as they update is not going to help either... Just as an extra to what cheese rice said. :)

Indeed we don't want to turn into the North West thread where posts regularly centre around what accu/meto/bbc/xc weather computer generated forecast show.

We've all been there at one point regularly using them but most of us have got the memo they are pretty useless.

Edited by Cheese Rice
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Mild Spring , hot summer , crisp autumn and snowy cold winters

Come on people , it has not even reached  us yet. Lets just enjoy what tonight/tomorrow may or may not bring :)

• Like 1

Posted

I think people are entitled to comment on the regional weather in this thread regarding forecasts , radar etc...we all arent up to par with the models etc therefor we refrain from commenting in model output discussions , it cant go in moans site cos its not a moan its an observation. But I will refrain from commenting about things that arent weather related.

Oh absolutely.

It's more just a case of on some threads members emotions are linked to what the bbc forecast shows, even though they update every hour and show something different each time.

I don't think anyone has the energy for that emotional roller-coaster.

😃

Edited by Cheese Rice

Posted

Progressing north faster than I expected. Wonder if it'll be one of these affairs where the leading band of snow dies out and you then have to wait for the next to take its place, if you see what I mean. That appears to be what's happening now with heavier areas appearing behind the leading arc.

Yes the band thats currently on the west coast of Ireland 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Frost Sun

I think this could be case, best to just keep watching radar.

Posted

What will be interested is the snow reports based on altitude. I really feel this event is all about that. If it's settling below 100 metres there will be enough precipitation to touch 10 cm I ffeel in South Yorkshire. Complete now cast event. What are the conditions in comparison to boxing day anyone?

Posted

What will be interested is the snow reports based on altitude. I really feel this event is all about that. If it's settling below 100 metres there will be enough precipitation to touch 10 cm I ffeel in South Yorkshire. Complete now cast event. What are the conditions in comparison to boxing day anyone?

As far as I can see, dew points and 850s are good for snow until at least dawn

• Like 2

Posted

Uppers are milder tonight but with no sea modifications like boxing day it's actually alot less marginal.

Boxing day relied on intensity aiding evaporating cooling.

The flow is really slack so our region should be fine at all levels.

• Like 2