Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire and Lincolnshire - Weather Chat

Paul

Posted

Good start will be more happy if we get a Amber later

bugger, not in the warning area down here, oh well, always next winter, lol.  stay safe everyone

Always February looking at the Model output.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer Sunshine / Winter Snow

And there we have it.....

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings/?tab=warnings&regionName=yh

3-8cms on low ground and up to 10-15cms locally on high ground across much of the region, particularly Southern and Western areas.

Interesting.....

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme weather - any kind!

Not expecting much here but hopefully there'll be a nice surprise overnight!

Posted

I particularly like the comment of not being sure about the northerly extent of the snow, I know on boxing day the heaviest prec moved north at the last minute and we ended up with 15cm from the forecast 2/5cm.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal weather but love snow

Hoping s c u n t h o r p e , North Lincs gets in the snow game

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms.. Heavy snow.

Well that front has to get it's act together then and pep up a bit which it does seem to be doing.  Here's hoping.

Posted

Don't worry about what precipitation is being showed over the irish sea, it's further south west we need to look. What develops over east wales/west midlands/lancashire is what's expected to push north eastwards to us. This should be the main focus into the night and I like this because we don't have that dreaded influence of  mild irish sea SST's filtering into the precipitation band (turning it sleety/negatively effecting accumulations.) With the lower level winds coming straight across the land should be no modification of 2m temps : )

post-4607-0-62907700-1421754799_thumb.gi

The black arrow is tonight's front pushing in. Blue arrow is the surface winds (blowing across the cold land with no/little modification.)

Edited by Harsh Climate
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Front's about in the right place, xcweather suggests pressure is a tad high than the Met forecast (1004mb vs 1001mb). Looking at the GFS it stays weak until it's over the Midlands tonight when it peps up (likely due to interaction with the front behind).

Basically, we just want the precipitation envelope to expand at the moment. Don't worry too much about precipitation strength.

Posted

Reports from the Wales thread. Heavy snow at 240m, reports also of snow in Cardiff but i'm confirming the height. 

Posted

Its shopping day today  :closedeyes:  whats betting theres no milk or bread left .

Could this arrive earlier than predicted

I was just thinking the same looking at movement on radar.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer Sunshine / Winter Snow

Lets hope the fact we are on page 99 of this thread is an omen.

Flakes all round...of the snow variety!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold! Winter :)

Its nice to get the warnings out. I asked in the cold spell thread about the intensity and it is expected to pep up a bit overnight. METO website does show a few hours of heavy snow tonight over Sheffield, and i suspect therefore over a wide area of Yorkshire.

Fingers crossed ey, im hoping more 8-10cm though rather than 3 :p   hehe

The good news is that tomorrow and Thursday right through to Friday morning temps are not really expected to get above freezing so it should hang about a bit for us to enjoy it :)

Edited by Winter Cold
  • Like 3

Posted

Reports from the Wales thread. Heavy snow at 240m, reports also of snow in Cardiff but i'm confirming the height. 

Yep looking on the sat looks like the snow line there is above 200M This should come down as it runs into the colder air further north and east

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal weather but love snow

Not a clue whats happening

My met office weather app and bbc has now cleared all the snow away from scunny replacing it with sleet midday Wednesday!

Posted

Its nice to get the warnings out. I asked in the cold spell thread about the intensity and it is expected to pep up a bit overnight. METO website does show a few hours of heavy snow tonight over Sheffield, and i suspect therefore over a wide area of Yorkshire.

Fingers crossed ey, im hoping more 8-10cm though rather than 3 :p   hehe

The good news is that tomorrow and Thursday right through to Friday morning temps are not really expected to get above freezing so it should hang about a bit for us to enjoy it :)

I'l settle for 5cm but 3" and I'l be very happy :D

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold,snowy,frosty and thunderstorms

Lets hope the fact we are on page 99 of this thread is an omen.

Flakes all round...of the snow variety!

i will also have the chocolate variety too plz, while enjoying watching the snow variety lol :)

Posted

Could this arrive earlier than predicted

Messy situation and the front pivots so who know's. It's not due here until 9-12 anyway. 

Snowing here near enough sea level where I work.

Excellent, thanks. I have a bit of height, my only concern is the urban heat effect in Leeds but if Cardiff is fine with an onshore wind then i'll be fine here.