Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire and Lincolnshire - Weather Chat

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW

How can it rain when it's below freezing...!! i've known it snow at 2-3degC...give me a break...

Posted

I can see real heavy ppn heading straight for us on radar...maybe it'll turn to that beautiful white crystaline structure...

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunder - not necessarily at the same time!

Stopped snowing here now. Not going out to check depth (too much of a wus!) but there appears to be lots of light showers in the N Sea that are heading this way. However, at the moment they do appear to be fizzling out before they get here, i.e. over the Wolds. It would be interesting if someone was to report from North of the Wolds on the nature of these showers. If they can pep up a bit and drive further inland, over the Wolds, then it could be very interesting come the morning.

It is also interesting that the temperature went up when the precipitation arrived - presumably some mild air entrained in the little system these showers were associated with - then dropped again and the precipitation got heavier. I guess an example of evaporative cooling in action. I will defer on this question to Reef who has a far better knowledge of local conditions than do I. We have had similar instances before here where we had rain, whereas a few miles further inland they had snow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer Sunshine / Winter Snow

Am I correct in thinking a Yellow warning has now been issued for the majority of our region including South and West Yorkshire for tonight.

Snow and ice apparently valid from 10pm tonight until 10am tomorrow. Possibly just the ice part only applies?

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/mobile/warnings/yh

Just noticed any settling snow is likely to be above 200 metres...

Edited by Kentish Snowman

Posted

Showers really starting to pep up in the North Sea over the last 1/2 hour. East Yorks could see a few more beefy showers!

Edited by Lakes Tom
  • Like 1

Posted

We have had similar instances before here where we had rain, whereas a few miles further inland they had snow.

Interesting that Muffelchen.... , last night at 10 pm we had lying snow at High Hunsley ....yet rain in both Beverley and Newbald.

Snow all the way in E Yorks tonight ......hope we might get a few more showers

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love snow

I can't see the showers reaching as far as west yorkshire tonight but heres hoping!

Me too lol it all melted with the stupid rain earlier :(

Posted

Stopped snowing here now. Not going out to check depth (too much of a wus!) but there appears to be lots of light showers in the N Sea that are heading this way. However, at the moment they do appear to be fizzling out before they get here, i.e. over the Wolds. It would be interesting if someone was to report from North of the Wolds on the nature of these showers. If they can pep up a bit and drive further inland, over the Wolds, then it could be very interesting come the morning.

It is also interesting that the temperature went up when the precipitation arrived - presumably some mild air entrained in the little system these showers were associated with - then dropped again and the precipitation got heavier. I guess an example of evaporative cooling in action. I will defer on this question to Reef who has a far better knowledge of local conditions than do I. We have had similar instances before here where we had rain, whereas a few miles further inland they had snow.

This is pretty much it. Temperatures are very marginal (-5C or -6C at 850hPa level) so these small effects make a big difference. Literally 0.5C difference in temperature can make it sleet or snow. Unfortunately closer to the coast (depending on the wind direction), warming from the sea makes a bigger difference. Usually a northerly is good with -6C 850hPa temperatures and you'll get snow closer to the coast (but rain on it), however an easterly needs a couple of degrees lower and will still be marginal on the coast.

Elevation helps of course, even 50m made a difference tonight.

Posted

All eyes on Tuesday Evening for us in West Yorkshire tonight good luck to the East of us tonight hope the showers throw some surprise heavy snow falls.

Posted

Hoping to get some snow this week  :rolleyes:

I'm in Leeds 9 and not had any laying snow but drive a few miles to Pudsey way and they get quite a bit :wallbash:

Posted

Im lucky I'm still sat with 10cm+ in queensbury but could do with it not snowing tonight with important work stuff to do tomorrow

Posted

I'm at a poxy 19m asl but this was enough tonight with evaporative cooling. This effect somewhat inland was obviously not so pronounced on the coast at Withernsea. Just goes to show how local things can be.

Originally I am from Pembrokeshire and in the 20+ years I lived there, there was a similar effect at the eastern end of the county, as you got near the Carmarthenshire border. Here the rainfall would turn to snow in spite of no difference in the overall elevation of the rolling countryside, yet there was a clear snowline running South to North across the county. You could see it clearly from the train at Whitland. This again was obviously a local effect from the Irish Sea influence. It never occurred in an easterly wind when we had our best (extreme!) snowfalls, but was always present in a northwesterly or even a westerly (it was the 80s after all!).

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

LOL, GFS shows a great snow event for our region on Wednesday and another on Saturday.

Posted

LOL, GFS shows a great snow event for our region on Wednesday and another on Saturday.

Well looking out my window all is white and it has started snowing again. With lots of showers in the N Sea it looks like I will break my snow day duck this winter and, with as you say top-ups to come, the kids might get a chance for a sledge or two.

Posted

The 18 was an excellent run for West and South Yorkshire! Time for changes but encouraging. Showing snow from 7 on Tuesday to Wednesday afternoon!

Posted

Ah well...the heavy ppn went east of us into the sea...least it's turning frosty again, maybe catch a shower later and have a surprise in the morning...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Very brief snowfall here, fot like a minute lol going from the radar earlier we were right on the edge of everything. Started settling mine shamed it didn't last for anything longer than 30 seconds. Pathetic really.

Posted

No thaw at all from yesterday evenings snow, although the temp is rising.Still below freezing at -0.6c currently.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and hot sunny weather.

Gfs 00z boom for snow for our region.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow.

GFS snow charts are so wildly different to the actual forecast (at least for Leeds). Charts show snow Tuesday night and all day Wednesday - some with really strong chance of snow. Met Office and BBC say no snow at all Wednesday.

*shrugs*

Posted

GFS snow charts are so wildly different to the actual forecast (at least for Leeds). Charts show snow Tuesday night and all day Wednesday - some with really strong chance of snow. Met Office and BBC say no snow at all Wednesday.

*shrugs*

I agree BBC confuse me and continue to play it down with "Wintry showers"

Gfs 00z boom for snow for our region.

The charts again do look fantastic for yorkshire and continue to show quite a few hours of heavy snow but time will tell if metoffice release any warnings!

Posted

BBC going for hill snow in the north on wednesday.....so Il have to stand at top of Harborough Hills then  :rofl:

• Like 2