Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Midlands - Weather Chat

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

An hour ago it was clear and frosty, now looked outside and it's raining lightly. WTF??? If Subfreezing air can't turn it to snow, what on earth can?

less cold upper air moving in from the north, we all like snow, because its a novelty and exceedingly rare

Posted

Frost on the grass since 6pm and temp currently ranging between -1 and -2.3 C. Lovely clear night.

Posted

An hour ago it was clear and frosty, now looked outside and it's raining lightly. WTF??? If Subfreezing air can't turn it to snow, what on earth can?

Even more annoying that it looked like being a nice frosty, clear night at long last before showers had to ruin it.

Edited by conor123

Posted
less cold upper air moving in from the north, we all like snow, because its a novelty and exceedingly rare[/q]

Less cold air from the *North*? Where are we, New Zealand?

The GFS 850s forecasts are grim. There is no sub -10 uppers anywhere in Europe up to T+180, even in Russia.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms

Minimum of -2.9C recorded overnight

Now just at zero.

lovely sunny day ahead.

MIA

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

A cold clear night with a low of -1.9c, Currently dry and chilly with clear blue sky's.

Temp -0.7c

Dp -1.3c

Wind N/E 4mph

Rain today 0.0mm

Posted

It get even get below freezing here at 1.9c min now 2.4c.

Atlantic west to NW-ly are useless these days.

Posted

Same here, despite clearing skies again behind the showers low was 0.6c (0.2c yesterday evening prior to showers), still managed a slight frost/some ice though.

Lovely and sunny this morning, just a few blobs of cloud but that's vanished now.

Edited by conor123

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

Coldest night for almost 2 years here at -6'c !

I find that hard to believe as it was -1.8c at Coventry. Sounds more like a grass min yours.

Pershore the coldest spot in the Midlands (a frost prone spot) only had -3.4c.

Checked the PWS on Wunderground not one in Coventry and Nuneaton areas fell below -2c:

http://classic.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/getForecast?query=Coventry,%20United%20Kingdom&wuSelect=WEATHER

Edited by TonyH

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

Yesterday's max' of 2.5c was the lowest since Jan' 30th, which recorded 2.3c,  and the second lowest this year.

In the last 37 years only 4 years ( 1988; 1989; 1998 and 2004 ) have failed to record a maximum below 0c and 1998 holds the record for the highest lowest max' of the year with 0.9c.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

I find that hard to believe as it was -1.8c at Coventry. Sounds more like a grass min yours.

Checked the PWS on Wunderground not one in Coventry and Nuneaton areas fell below -2c:

http://classic.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/getForecast?query=Coventry,%20United%20Kingdom&wuSelect=WEATHER

A low of minus 1.7c here, usually ties in well with Pershore  as im only five miles away from there, :closedeyes:

Posted

Was going to come on here and moan about this weather pattern and how the wait for snow continues and how the next 2 weeks look dull...blah blah blah.

Then I took the dog for a walk this morning and realised how stunning it is out there in the frost and ice...and now I don't need to! Beautiful December weather. Taking out years such as 1995 and 2010...this is the perfect kind of run up to Christmas!

Edited by Gord
  • Like 2

Posted

Fine, here's the proof!

This thermometer is absolutely spot on and has been tested against the other 8 we have on site.

Plus the frost lay the whole day long with temps only getting up to almost 3'c.

Also enclosed a video of the bottom end of the project and you can't tell me you'd get this level of frost from -2'c?

temperature13thdec2014_zps8ff67487.jpg

the temps this morning around 10am

13thdec2014frostat330pm_zpsb0888e0c.jpg The frost at 3.30pm today.

Video of me walking on frozen ground at work at 3.30pm.

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=685712661544070&set=vb.100003160282851&type=2&theater

• Like 3

Posted

That kind of frozen ground you only get when the temps drop below -5'c.

The frost lay everywhere today in the shade, even on pavements, cars, grass, -1 or -2'c would not last past 11am.

• Like 1

Posted

Just checked the site you posted and it says that Coventry id at 6'c at 4.42pm  But it's been below freezing here for over an hour now?? Their measurements must be wrong?

• Like 1

Posted

Frost has stayed all day here too, just in the shade. I am about 5 miles from Shobdon weather station, but the temperatrue in frosty or cold weather are nearly always lower here, sometimes by several degrees.

Posted

Yes ice/frost has stayed frozen all day here in the shade, A max of 3.9c.

Currently; Cold and dry with patchy cloud.

Temp 2.1c

Dp 0.4c

WC -0.8c

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms

Same here.

I am about 3/4 mile from the centre of Solihull surrounded by housing.

The frost has remained all day on my neighbours car and upon my drive. Also houses opposite still have a covering of frost facing north from this morning.

I recorded a low of -2.9C this morning and a max of 4.1C this afternnon.

I must admit I am in a very slight hollow. Normally my car temperature records about half a degree lower in clear conditions when I enter my drive. So it is in a slight frost hollow.

The other thing that I think is noteworthy is that the wind picked up for a couple of hours

this lunchtime. I expected the frost to dissappear rapidly, but it didn't!

Temperature already at 0.3C here this eveneing.

So the signs are his -6C is genuine, but it is unusual for the frost to hang on like this under these conditions.

MIA

Edited by Midlands Ice Age
  • Like 1

Posted

Just checked the site you posted and it says that Coventry id at 6'c at 4.42pm  But it's been below freezing here for over an hour now?? Their measurements must be wrong?

Hmm Steve Jackson would not be impressed with that remark surprised you would say that! It is a MO spec site providing spot on data for the city for over 30 years.. Not sure what sensor you use but it is obviously misplaced as in close to the ground or on a cold, shaded object.

EDIT Cov airport showing 6c at 1700 does seem too high perhaps its that one you are referring to?

Edited by TonyH

Posted

Same here.

I am about 3/4 mile from the centre of Solihull surrounded by housing.

The frost has remained all day on my neighbours car and upon my drive. Also houses opposite still have a covering of frost facing north from this morning.

I recorded a low of -2.9C this morning and a max of 4.1C this afternnon.

I must admit I am in a very slight hollow. Normally my car temperature records about half a degree lower in clear conditions when I enter my drive. So it is in a slight frost hollow.

The other thing that I think is noteworthy is that the wind picked up for a couple of hours

this lunchtime. I expected the frost to dissappear rapidly, but it didn't!

Temperature already at 0.3C here this eveneing.

So the signs are his -6C is genuine, but it is unusual for the frost to hang on like this under these conditions.

MIA

Nowehere else in the area below -2c I feel it is either a faulty or misplaced sensor as above ^

Shade frost will persist at relatively high ambient temps given low enough dew points, I have had frost remain thick on the shaded lawn with maxima close to 10c.

It only fell to -1.7c here last night yet in the shade some ice and frost remained in spite of the maximum of 5c.

Edited by TonyH

Posted

Hmm Steve Jackson would not be impressed with that remark surprised you would say that! It is a MO spec site providing spot on data for the city for over 30 years.. Not sure what sensor you use but it is obviously misplaced as in close to the ground or on a cold, shaded object.

EDIT Cov airport showing 6c at 1700 does seem too high perhaps its that one you are referring to?

Nothing is infallible, be it my readings or theirs.

Yes, that is the site that I was referring to .  It was the depth of frost into the ground that shows it's severity. Did you watch that video? It was taken at 3.30pm when the temps had just dipped below freezing again and frost was re-forming on the glasshouse and mypex etc. It's irrefutable, and anyone in Bedworth today will back up how the frost stayed on the pavements and roads etc, all day.

If their thermometers read on -2'c they were wrong about this area. 

Posted

Well, seeing as the ice didn't melt all day from last night, there should be afresh layer at work tomorrow morning. We measure the ice thicknesses of my location and yours and it will at least back up my claim.

I'm really annoyed that I'm being made to feel like I'm wrong, what more proof do you need??