Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Midlands - Weather Chat

Paul

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Lovely sky here this morning after a dry mainly clear night, A low of -0.3c. Currently 0.4c Dp -0.5c

post-12319-0-08192100-1418111717_thumb.j

Edited by Polar Maritime
  • Like 4

Posted

Wind and rain should arrive around lunchtime, Giving gales here and some heavy rain for parts. Wish i was up in the N/W tonight with them expecting storm force winds and phenomenal high seas.

30-602UK.GIF?09-6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms

Good morning Midlands

Min -1.6C overnight.

Cloudy now with SW wind picking up.

MIA

Posted

Morning MIA  :)

Posted

Hi PM

I guess the question for later this week is where the secondary low actually tracks across the UK. Could it deepen slightly and run up the Channel? If so we could be in business. Currently the answer appears to be no. But the feature is still 1000 miles west of the Canary Isles so plenty of time for changes. 

Also, and maybe a subject for the MO, but the GFS picked up this feature first about 5 days ago (over uk ) then dropped it for 3 days, before bringing it back again recently. The ECM only picked it up 3.5 days ago and then dropped it.

i have noticed this 'feature' before with GFS that it will pick up a trend in far FI  first  drop it very smartly and then to come back to the same situation again with about 3 days to go before the event. I suppose that it could be that GFS throws out so many possibilities for FI that one has to be correct!!!

Anyway, just my thoughts. I'm probably wrong, thats why I don't go on the MO much!!

MIA.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow

Would really love to see that evil snow shield get broken on Friday. Same for the other cold and wintry fans' snow shields on here that are being rock-solid at the moment.

Well done to those, though, such as Polar Maritime, who have seen something wintry so far. At least you've got a good chance of seeing further wintry weather, especially with your elevation. But hopefully, still, all of the cold and snow fans can get in on the action at same point. :good:

• Like 1

Posted

Would really love to see that evil snow shield get broken on Friday. Same for the other cold and wintry fans' snow shields on here that are being rock-solid at the moment.

Well done to those, though, such as Polar Maritime, who have seen something wintry so far. At least you've got a good chance of seeing further wintry weather, especially with your elevation. But hopefully, still, all of the cold and snow fans can get in on the action at same point. :good:

DRL

We can but hope!

MIA

• Like 1

Posted

Winds picking up now here, Gusting 34mph just. And drizzle just started..

Temp 4.3c

Wind Chill -0.7c West.

Posted

Very mild here now, 12C. Also getting very gusty, latest gust about 40mph.

Looking forward to moving past this storm just to get away from the wind. I find strong winds very tiresome and annoying. I could never live in a windy spot, the only exception being by the sea.

Posted

Morning fellow Midlanders...

Not too bad last night 4mms of rain and quite strong winds for an hour or so.

Temperature max of 10.3C recorded at 10:30, after which it fell steadily to 3.9C at 07:15.

Now at a sun enhanced 5.2C ( only time of day the sun hits my recorder) on a beautifully clear and crisp morming.

Just a slim chance of a shower today I understand.

Chnaces of some back edge snow on friday morning still being shown on some charts ( GFS on two consecutive runs now), but not the Euro models. They are deepening the low further and taking it over Northern England.. I am sure that if we all face the west and suck very hard it will do the trick and re-route the low!!!

MIA .

edit  Yes, fellow silhillians I am that desperate to get to the Wilsons on friday night!!!

Edited by Midlands Ice Age
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow!

Morning fellow Midlanders...

Not too bad last night 4mms of rain and quite strong winds for an hour or so.

Temperature max of 10.3C recorded at 10:30, after which it fell steadily to 3.9C at 07:15.

Now at a sun enhanced 5.2C ( only time of day the sun hits my recorder) on a beautifully clear and crisp morming.

Just a slim chance of a shower today I understand.

Chnaces of some back edge snow on friday morning still being shown on some charts ( GFS on two consecutive runs now), but not the Euro models. They are deepening the low further and taking it over Northern England.. I am sure that if we all face the west and suck very hard it will do the trick and re-route the low!!!

MIA .

edit  Yes, fellow silhillians I am that desperate to get to the Wilsons on friday night!!!

My conservatory windows are clean, ready for (hot chocolate aided) snow watching, and my plant pots are bubble wrapped ready for sub zero temperatures ~ please, dear weather gods, bring me some snow Friday morning!

• Like 1

Posted

My conservatory windows are clean, ready for (hot chocolate aided) snow watching, and my plant pots are bubble wrapped ready for sub zero temperatures ~ please, dear weather gods, bring me some snow Friday morning!

Fizz,

Thanks for reminding me, I need to get some of my potted Fuschias in.

I am doing it now.

PS As I look out the slightest shower is just passing through.

MIA

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow, Thunder storms and lightning

Hi guys with all the doom and gloom in the charts not seen or heard about the chance of snow this fri is it a possibility still.

Posted

Fizz,

Thanks for reminding me, I need to get some of my potted Fuschias in.

I am doing it now.

PS As I look out the slightest shower is just passing through.

MIA

Just finished with the plants.

Was cloodless when I went out twenty minutes ago.... now looks like dusk

MIA

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow, Thunder storms and lightning

Just seen the gfs 06z, wow white xmas anyone. Good to see we are in with a chance this year. And i know it will proberbly change but good to see those charts for the run up to xmas.

Posted

Hi guys with all the doom and gloom in the charts not seen or heard about the chance of snow this fri is it a possibility still.

Snow Angel,

GFS has consistently placed the low coming over the Midlands for the last 36 hours (one run was further south), whereas all the Euro models (iincluding the Metoffice0  - hence all the BBC forcasts)  have it going either N England or Scotland)..  Hence just wind and rain for us.

We must pray the GFS is right just this once!

PS Just realised that the latest GFS 06Z is now out so I will go and check on the MO thread.

MIA

Edit - I see you have already been there!

Posted

Could anyone give me a link to the gfs? I used to have to have all the models bookmarked (gawd knows why, I can't interpret them to any great degree!), but I've lost my bookmarks somehow.

Ta muchly

Fizz x

Posted
Posted

Rain, hail, sleet and snow coming from these showers.... Mixed bag.... Met office weather warning doesnt mention derbyshire but weather warning for friday that includes greater manchester includes peak district in peak district forecast.... Mottram in longdendale has snow warning but not glossop.... If they get any im sure i will as mottram is 175m im 300m....

post-16439-0-00280100-1418220784_thumb.j

Posted

A cool dry mostly clear day here so far, With winds gusting N/W 43mph just now and a mean speed of 17mph.

Temp 5.7c

WC 2

Dp 1.7c 

Posted

Could anyone give me a link to the gfs? I used to have to have all the models bookmarked (gawd knows why, I can't interpret them to any great degree!), but I've lost my bookmarks somehow.

Ta muchly

Fizz x

Certainly  :whistling:

Rrea00119630202.gif

On a serious note, imagine what the forum would be like if we started seeing charts like this soon!

Bish

Edited by Bishop Brennan
  • Like 2

Posted
Posted

Certainly  :whistling:

Rrea00119630202.gif

On a serious note, imagine what the forum would be like if we started seeing charts like this soon!

Bish

Ah, wouldn't that be something...?

I lived through it, but as I was only 1, I, unfortunately, don't remember it!