Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Midlands - Weather Chat

Paul

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

A very windy morning here with all the snow thawed apart from the odd patch under the walls/hollows. A mild night with a low of 6.1c

Currently; Very windy overcast.

Temp 9.9c

Wind West 22mph

Gusting 32mph 

Rain today 0.0mm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

A marked variation in snow cover earlier this morning. All the areas on the tops exposed to the S/SW wind had 10-15% cover whereas all areas not exposed still 90% covered.

A rapid thaw since 0900 with the overall snow cover now only 15%. Current temp' is 8.6c.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)

Hi all on the first day of 2015 :)  Today's weather is mild throughout with gusty-blustery winds and temps currently here at 11.8c :(

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

No chance of snow on Saturday. Dewpoints far too high and not enough cold air available. :(

Edited by Costa Del Fal

Posted

Well, the stubborn cover of snow on the grass & in shaded areas, that's survived since boxing day is now gone. Good show for so little though!

• Like 2

Posted

Doesn't the snow look prospects look better now for Saturday ??

both the gfss have shunted that low further south now so i assume the cold air will be further south and also snowline!!

Posted

Sorry guys, no snow this Saturday I'm afraid!!! Dew pionts the wrong side of 0c, your looking at them being around 2c, just a wet old cold day :(

528 DAM line up there in Scotland not for us down here in the Midlands.....Fingers crossed there's a big turn around :)

45-574UK_okk1.GIF45-526UK_jbk1.GIF

Edited by Dancerwithwings

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow!

Ian Ferguson just posted in the Mod thread that there would be snow on Saturday (post no 1084 - sorry can't quote it as on my iPad, and it won't let me).

Or at least I think that was what he was saying in weather tech speak - perhaps someone more learned in that language could translate....?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow

The GFS 12Z run does seem to show Dew Points ranging from around 1*C to 4*C on Saturday for most of the Midlands which, while isn't ridiculously high for snow, is probably still enough so that most low level areas see rain.

post-10703-0-64021900-1420132940_thumb.ppost-10703-0-23134300-1420132939_thumb.ppost-10703-0-12780600-1420132938_thumb.p
post-10703-0-07069900-1420132967_thumb.gpost-10703-0-54579500-1420132966_thumb.gpost-10703-0-00820600-1420132966_thumb.g

Could really do with the Dew Points being around 0*C for low level snow (as well as clearly seeing those 0*C or milder 850 hPa temperatures staying away to our South. Something of which the GFS 12Z Operational model seem to do...)

post-10703-0-68749200-1420133104_thumb.gpost-10703-0-47550200-1420133103_thumb.g

Understandably, it's not really worth getting too worried about what each model run is showing as I suspect there will be further changes with regards to Saturday's weather event. It perhaps would also be fair to say that even if elements, such as Dew Points or ground-level temperatures, end up being a little too high, it's possible heavier enough precipitation could provide those evaporative cooling opportunities to drag surface and dew point temperatures down to low enough levels for snow.

Despite that, just somehow personally hope future models runs can inject some slightly colder air into the system, as it would certainly help matters further. And also try to keep that Low tracking to our South (All of this being ideal, if it's wintry weather you're after).  :smiliz64:

Sorry guys, no snow this Saturday I'm afraid!!! Dew pionts the wrong side of 0c, your looking at them being around 2c, just a wet old cold day :(
528 DAM line up there in Scotland not for us down here in the Midlands.....Fingers crossed there's a big turn around :)

45-574UK_okk1.GIF45-526UK_jbk1.GIF

Edit: Sorry, only just noticed this post. Indeed, I hope so too.  :smiliz39:

Edited by DiagonalRedLine
  • Like 1

Posted

A marked variation in snow cover earlier this morning. All the areas on the tops exposed to the S/SW wind had 10-15% cover whereas all areas not exposed still 90% covered.

A rapid thaw since 0900 with the overall snow cover now only 15%. Current temp' is 8.6c.

Exactly the wind really does thaw the snow very rapidly more than the sun in light winds.

Posted

Ian Ferguson just posted in the Mod thread that there would be snow on Saturday (post no 1084 - sorry can't quote it as on my iPad, and it won't let me).

Or at least I think that was what he was saying in weather tech speak - perhaps someone more learned in that language could translate....?

Awaiting EC. As of earlier today, transient leading edge snow for lowland northern areas (bigger problem trans-pennines) but rate of transition W-E mitigated pronounced cold advection phasing with PPN for very long. In any event, generally 10-15mm PPN for most (event total 30mm for some) with rapid GPH build behind it, so as it stands we are cautiously hopeful it won't prove to be a big deal. However, we await full analysis later this evening.

There you go you can interpret it to me this this suggests it will be mostly wet state of affairs wintriness over the high ground, even so the 528 dam line is near scotland & DPs little high. I recall in past years it did not look favourable but there was still snow - when it looked unlikely.

Edited by Daniel*

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental climate, snow winter, sunny summers

Next to no chance of snow here on Saturday. In fact I'll dance naked in my back garden if we get falling and settling snow in my locale on Saturday!

Posted

Very windy day here, Gusting 47mph just with spits and spots of rain. A mild day with all snow now thawed, Temp 11.3c.

• Like 1

Posted

No worry's DRL ...methinks it would have to be a big turn around for SNOW!!!! but as Ian F' posted " However, we await full analysis later this evening".... look forward to that one :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow

No worry's DRL ...methinks it would have to be a big turn around for SNOW!!!! but as Ian F' posted " However, we await full analysis later this evening".... look forward to that one :D

Let's hope it has something white in it. :) It would be nice to think that Saturday turns out to be one of those unexpected snowy surprises.

• Like 1

Posted

Let's hope it has something white in it. :) It would be nice to think that Saturday turns out to be one of those unexpected snowy surprises.

Hopefully a big smile from all us Net Weather SNOW peeps :smiliz19: :smiliz19: :smiliz19:

• Like 3

Posted

Like you guys, we maxed out at 12.7C at midnight last night. Since then temp fallen steadily, and now 6.8C. Skies have cleared and lane is drying up. Light to modertate breeze. Should be a nice day, and getting chilly again this evening.

Posted

11.9c here at bang on midnight.

Currently 4.4c

Dp 0.2c

N/N/W ave 11.2mph

Gusting 27mph.

Yes same here Will, From 6am tomorrow mod/heavy snow all night, I expect it will change. But hopefully not  :)

nmmuk-1-36-0.png?02-06nmmuk-1-35-0.png?02-06

Edited by Polar Maritime