Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Midlands - Weather Chat

Paul

Posted

Just shows how the last 2 winters have been extremely poor for low mins.

Now 2005/06 and this is just November 2005 which gave 12 air frosts alone here down to -5c at best.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

The fog cleared about an hour ago and we now have sunny intervals.

It's actually colder than yesterday at the same time with a current temp' of 2.6c and the thaw is very slow. It'll probably be tonight before there's any significant thawing.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, snow and more snow

Yes I was expecting to wake up this morning to slush n muck but another really hard frost and snow cover still intact up in the peak district..got a feeling today will be the last day with snow cover from this period... but that will still mean 5 days with lying snow some really low over night temps and some very low daytime max temps too.... not bad for December... and when you go to the MOD you wouldn't have a clue that a good part of the UK has been in the grip of a cold snowy spell... so many doom and gloom winters over posts over the last few days...

If this turns out to be the only cold spell of the winter then it will have been a million times better than last year... but I have a feeling we will get at least one more shot before winters out...

count yourself very lucky to have even had some snow this year.  most of us haven't been so lucky so understandably lots of doom and gloom posts to be seen.  It seems that unless you're perched on top of a blooming big hill or mountain in the UK then your chances of even seeing falling snow let alone settling snow are more remote year upon year.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything out of the ordinary, except extreme heat

Hi you guys. Happy New Year! I really hope you don't mind me posting in here, but as a snow starved southerner I have just thoroughly enjoyed four days of walking around in crunchy white snow near my sisters at Swadlincote, South Derbyshire. I really love snow and haven't had any for quite a while in South Essex. I had great fun with my niece and nephew, but now back to reality ... 

• Like 1

Posted

The last of the snow just melted here's to the next â„â„â„â„Happy new year fellow weather fans

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)

Hi you guys. Happy New Year! I really hope you don't mind me posting in here, but as a snow starved southerner I have just thoroughly enjoyed four days of walking around in crunchy white snow near my sisters at Swadlincote, South Derbyshire. I really love snow and haven't had any for quite a while in South Essex. I had great fun with my niece and nephew, but now back to reality ... 

Your more than welcome :) Talking of Swadlincote, I'm only working there Mon/Tue next week and by then it will all be gone..... :(

Currently, Cloud encroaching from the west, Temps at 5.5c.

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

A slight thaw today with a max of 5c around 2pm, Currently 3.8c And full snow cover.

post-12319-0-53010500-1420041080_thumb.j

• Like 2

Posted

Snow mostly all thawed here still patches left,odd white patches out of the wind and bottom of the garden 6.9c with light patchy rain briefly.

Ice has thawed fast today.

Posted

Frost all melted by lunchtime, though the ground underneath is still frozen. Temp now racing ahead, and up to 7C already.

A toast to all fellow Midlanders for a cold and snowy 2015. Happy NY one and all!

Edited by picog
  • Like 1

Posted

Same here>>>>6.2c this chart below is not during the day but 1am Friday morning.....11c 12c Just shocking for Jan

36-580UK_fcw1.GIF

Anyway Wishing you all a very Happy New Year, with gratitude to all your comments, and your discussions over the year, let 2015 be a good one to all............Happy New Year :)

• Like 1

Posted

Snow rapidly melting now with light rain and windy, 

Temp 5.6c

Wind West 21mph

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

back to normal now, best frost in years this morning, been great spell mind you, lets hope do not have to wait until boxing day next year for more cold

• Like 1

Posted

The Midlands could be in the firing line again on Saturday..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Hmmm lots of uncertainty re Saturday but cant see the Midlands being lucky twice. Probably will downgrade this one. Very fine line.

• Like 2

Posted

The Midlands could be in the firing line again on Saturday..

Ay you not the majority of us, 330m asl for god's sake, wee bit of an IMBYism post there

• Like 1

Posted

Ay you not the majority of us, 330m asl for god's sake, wee bit of an IMBYism post there

Not at all, Do you mind..

It's being discussed in the Mod with Ian F giving the guidance. That being possible snow for the Midlands North..  

Edited by Polar Maritime
  • Like 4

Frost all melted by lunchtime, though the ground underneath is still frozen. Temp now racing ahead, and up to 7C already.

A toast to all fellow Midlanders for a cold and snowy 2015. Happy NY one and all!

Don't think the mildies would like that but i hope so too with late Spring and early Autumn snowfalls, a repeat of March/early April 2013 pretty please. :smiliz19:

• Like 1

Posted

Bear in mind slack flow + evaporative cooling very much like Boxing Day. Me thinks this will track on a more southern route, hopefully it will bear fruit for us down south IMBY kicking in :spiteful: we are snow starved. Midlands is always ideally well placed, being in the 'middle'. Whatever the outcome its something to watch out for. :)

Posted

Fingers crossed for Saturday.

Temp here has fallen back to 3.8C. Very unexpected as MetO forecast have us at 7C all evening, and then rising.

Posted

Bear in mind slack flow + evaporative cooling very much like Boxing Day. Me thinks this will track on a more southern route, hopefully it will bear fruit for us down south IMBY kicking in :spiteful: we are snow starved. Midlands is always ideally well placed, being in the 'middle'. Whatever the outcome its something to watch out for. :)

Ay, could do with it south, if you get snow, then I will, frosty posted chart in model thread, tracking too far north on that run for especially your location

Posted

Hmmm lots of uncertainty re Saturday but cant see the Midlands being lucky twice. Probably will downgrade this one. Very fine line.

When saying that!.... it was Birmingham north that seen lying SNOW, here in 'Sod all Solihull' we had wet snow but that was it :mellow:

So it would very welcome here, but yes! lots of uncertainty & a very, very fine line indeed.

Edited by Dancerwithwings

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, snow and more snow:)

I would be loving it if we come back to Solihull on Saturday and are greeted by a snowfest! Until then I will make the most of the snow that I have left here even though it is now getting slushier by the minute and will probably be a large puddle by morning. We have been so lucky this year arriving in Derbyshire (for a holiday booked 12 months ago) the morning after the Boxing Day snowfall and we have had so much fun sledging, making snowmen and generally messing about in the cold white stuff. Really don't want to go home :(

• Like 3

Posted

Happy New Year everyone.

A dull, cloudy start to 2015. Temperature 10.2C. All very uninspiring.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms

Happy New Year to you all.

Dull and clouds scudding across the sky.

Temp 10.2C.

Nothing to add

MIA

Edited by Midlands Ice Age